PDA

View Full Version : Attic Window

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Well I'm very disappointed in the time, money, sweat and tears I put into this Attic Window. Although Jenny's is perfect, mine is a flop all the way around. :icon_mad: I'm telling you nothing turned out right. Nobody's fault but mine. I started off on the wrong foot and got deeper and deeper. I have made several quilts and I can't say this is a beginner's quilt. Only my view point. I will not attempt another try on this, although I did order the same panel thinking I might. But I've had second thoughts on it. To me it's a lot of work. Thanks for listening.

Vonnie
October 10th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Is that the one with Santa Claus or the one with the deer?

And I'm sorry things went sideways for you. That's happened to me a couple of times. I have one project that I wanted to get done before Christmas last year. It's still not done. Might never get done! :icon_rolleyes:

KPH
October 10th, 2017, 04:09 PM
When Jenny shared her Attic Window tutorial, it seemed like a lot of math needed to be figured before you even started. I wondered it it wouldn't be easier to start with a garden scene panel for a first try. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about a deer's head being in the wrong place.

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Is that the one with Santa Claus or the one with the deer?

And I'm sorry things went sideways for you. That's happened to me a couple of times. I have one project that I wanted to get done before Christmas last year. It's still not done. Might never get done! :icon_rolleyes:
Vonnie, it's the one with the deers. I so love that quilt. Maybe after I calm down and gain some more confidence I may give it another try being more careful. The tutorial looks so easy but don't they all!

Mimi_Howard
October 10th, 2017, 05:35 PM
LindaKay.. I didn't get it right until the 3rd panel, Yep messed up first two attempts something awful. But 3rd time was the charm, still had some missteps, but only I can see them right away and not sure my cousin would ever really see them.. And if you lived near me I would come over there and say.............. Wait don't do it that way, it won't work... ask me how I can say things like that !!! LOL

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2017, 06:49 PM
When Jenny shared her Attic Window tutorial, it seemed like a lot of math needed to be figured before you even started. I wondered it it wouldn't be easier to start with a garden scene panel for a first try. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about a deer's head being in the wrong place.
Boy was my deer head in the wrong place:icon_giggle: It would have made more sense if I'd started with a garden scene panel and may do that later on. I just love panels. Thank you Katrina.

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2017, 06:55 PM
LindaKay.. I didn't get it right until the 3rd panel, Yep messed up first two attempts something awful. But 3rd time was the charm, still had some missteps, but only I can see them right away and not sure my cousin would ever really see them.. And if you lived near me I would come over there and say.............. Wait don't do it that way, it won't work... ask me how I can say things like that !!! LOL
I just received my other deer panel but I'm burned out. I may not try to do it again, although I do know where I went wrong. It's all in the cutting. Is that where your mistakes were? Yes, I too wish you lived next door. I've always heard two heads are better than one.

Mimi_Howard
October 10th, 2017, 07:59 PM
OH yes it was the cutting that I messed up on. But on the bright side, those first two messes did beef up my supply of scraps! Used them to try sample blocks to see if I like how a pattern goes together and then free motion quilting practice too. They gave up their life more than one time for me!

BethB
October 10th, 2017, 08:26 PM
About a year ago, I made an attic window quilt, but used a garden scene panel. It turned out pretty good for a first time. I kept playing Jenny's tutorial over and over and taking notes. I was particularly concerned about how big to cut each window because my panel not as wide as the one with the deer. My biggest mistake (and it was a doozy), was when I cut one window about an inch and a half too short in width. I was going to try to recut it from another panel but tried to sew the strip back on. I used a very narrow seam (almost non-existent). It worked to some extent - the flowers in one area don't match up exactly but once it was quilted, you do not notice it. It won a prize for "Best Use of a Panel" at my quilt guild. Take a break and come back to it and you will have a different opinion of it.

Nancy

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Nancy, thanks for your story. Yes, I think I bit off more than I could chew. It looked so easy though, ha. I'm sure I'll find use for the fabric. I'm going to look for a garden panel now. I'm determined to make an attic window quilt of some kind.

Grey Lady
October 10th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Ok, while I haven't made an attic window yet, I 've been reading an searching and came up with this game plan:

Most of the panel I've looked at are about 36 x 45 inches. My plan is to use 1 1/2 inch painters tape to simulate the panes (The sashing). After I am happy with the placement, then those are my cut lines. Has anyone tried this? Pls let me know if this will not work. Thx.

KPH
October 10th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Ok, while I haven't made an attic window yet, I 've been reading an searching and came up with this game plan:

Most of the panel I've looked at are about 36 x 45 inches. My plan is to use 1 1/2 inch painters tape to simulate the panes (The sashing). After I am happy with the placement, then those are my cut lines. Has anyone tried this? Pls let me know if this will not work. Thx.

That's an interesting idea. I guess you could use a long ruler for the straight edges. Keeping it all still while you're taping it would be challenging.

Mimi_Howard
October 10th, 2017, 11:26 PM
That is interesting. I hope someone will chime in that has actually done it this way. I just know (from experience) to watch those animals ears! Things will be stretched farther apart by the pane sashings. I will be more careful on my next one (if I do a next one) ...

LindaKay75
October 10th, 2017, 11:43 PM

Diana, that is a good theory. And I could try that on another panel. But instead of me messing up on another deer panel, I may just do NO CUTTING on the panel and just frame it. Good images on Pinterest. Thank you for your idea.