PDA

View Full Version : Attic window, I need help

LindaKay75
October 4th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Hi, I'm doing the Attic Window, following Jenny's tutorial. And I'm using the panel and fabrics that she used in her video. I have messed up already and need your help. Jenny cut her panel to 35" wide by 40" long. Mine is 33" wide by 40" long. My question is since my width is 33" do I have to adjust my length now? And what size should my blocks be now? You may need to watch her video to understand my question. Any help is appreciated.
I need to watch a tutorial in it's entirety before I start cutting. Bad habit

Caroline T.
October 4th, 2017, 07:08 PM
If it were me in your shoes, I would trim the width of the panel down a bit more, to 32.5" , since you need 5 squares per row that will make each block 6.5" (much easier than trying to divide 33" by 5 blocks , And then I would leave the length as is (40").

Keep in mind,
1. Your horizontal sashing strips will be shorter than Jenny's also (not much though), so be sure to measure carefully and test sew one or two before cutting them all out.
2. Your "windows" will be a bit narrower than Jenny's, but that's OK, that's what makes the quilt "unique" to you.
3. Your overall quilt size will be a bit narrower too (only a couple of inches), but if you have enough fabric, you could always put on a wider border to make up the difference if you want.

LindaKay75
October 4th, 2017, 07:29 PM
If it were me in your shoes, I would trim the width of the panel down a bit more, to 32.5" , since you need 5 squares per row that will make each block 6.5" (much easier than trying to divide 33" by 5 blocks , And then I would leave the length as is (40").

Keep in mind,
1. Your horizontal sashing strips will be shorter than Jenny's also (not much though), so be sure to measure carefully and test sew one or two before cutting them all out.
2. Your "windows" will be a bit narrower than Jenny's, but that's OK, that's what makes the quilt "unique" to you.
3. Your overall quilt size will be a bit narrower too (only a couple of inches), but if you have enough fabric, you could always put on a wider border to make up the difference if you want.

Thanks Caroline T. I was afraid this couldn't be fixed. I'm terrible with math. So good to know I can leave my length 40"

Mimi_Howard
October 4th, 2017, 10:35 PM
LindaKay.. are you doing the deer one? If so .... take a look at my "lefty van gough" quilt in the 2017 album of mine. I forgot about the warning a forum friend gave me... the antler and the ear on the big deer. It is Waaaay out there when the windows panes are inserted. Hence I named it Left Van Gough. The recipient loved it... his name is Van and he is a left hander too. Just thought I would warn you.

LindaKay75
October 4th, 2017, 11:58 PM
LindaKay.. are you doing the deer one? If so .... take a look at my "lefty van gough" quilt in the 2017 album of mine. I forgot about the warning a forum friend gave me... the antler and the ear on the big deer. It is Waaaay out there when the windows panes are inserted. Hence I named it Left Van Gough. The recipient loved it... his name is Van and he is a left hander too. Just thought I would warn you.
Oh I see what you mean. Yes I'm doing the deer one. You did a fantastic job on it. I'll be happy if mine comes out at all.

Mimi_Howard
October 5th, 2017, 09:49 AM
LindaKay - you are very kind to say that, but I too am horrible at this quilting math and lets just say 2 panels bit the dust before I got things working right. Yep 3rd one was the charm and along the way... rip rip rip, good ole seam ripper joined the party too. I am sure your will turn out beautifully.