PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machine sewing backward

Carlie Wolf
October 2nd, 2017, 01:47 PM
I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Lately on occasion when I start up my machine to sew something I hit that little Start button to start to sew and the machine sends the fabric backward instead of forward. Usually if I turn the machine off and back on it corrects itself, sometimes not. Once I put a test swatch under the foot and then it worked ok. A few other times, like today, I cleaned out any lint in the machine which wasn't much as I do that quite a lot anyway.

Also I did have a problem about a month ago that the feet had fallen too low to feed the fabric. The switch would not raise and lower them as they should have. I was able to get that fixed watching some utube tutorials. I'm wondering if there is a link in the two problems although I can't imagine why a machine would stitch backward as a result.

Anyone ever had this problem? (It's working again fine now).

Bubby
October 2nd, 2017, 04:22 PM
Yes, I have had this happen. In my case my machine won't quit sewing in reverse after I tell it to go forward. I also turn off the machine and it seems to reset itself. Go figure....

Sandy Navas
October 2nd, 2017, 04:23 PM
I have a 'reverse' button on my modern machines - one of them sticks quite often if I use it. Maybe that's what you are experiencing? Not sure about what machine you are using though. I have H-Vs.

snippet
October 2nd, 2017, 06:36 PM
My friend Pat has this problem with her Brother machine too. Most times the off/on trick works but sometimes it doesn't. I would take it in to a repair shop, but she's not that bothered by it as I would be.

Swedish leo
October 2nd, 2017, 06:36 PM
I had that problem with my pfaff.

It was a part of the feeder system inside the machine that had brook.
I had to send it to the sewing doctor for surgery!

Thankfully he did not need replacement of the whole part .

After that it has worked beautiful

Pandabear
October 2nd, 2017, 06:45 PM
My Brother machine has never sewn backwards but more than once - especially after using the walking foot - my machine accessory foot would slip down because the screw holding everything was loosened.

bubba
October 2nd, 2017, 07:43 PM
Pretty sure Dolores had this happen to her as well.

Doloris
October 2nd, 2017, 07:51 PM
Pretty sure Dolores had this happen to her as well.
i picked up a cheap Janome at a garage sale once for free because it sewed backwards only. wanted to see if I could get it fixed. figured nothing to lose since it was free. Never did get it to sew right.

Carlie Wolf
October 2nd, 2017, 08:31 PM
Yes mine's a Brother too. Ok I'll watch it since so far it's just a minor annoyance. When it's to take it to the tech I'll also mention there were some feed dog issues too:-)
Thanks everyone...at least I know it's not my imagination LOL