• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Bye Bye Irma

Jacksonville (downtown) is still reeling with flooding from Irma. We live close to the St. John's river, but up on one of the few hills in the area. We made it through the storm and had power Monday morning long enough to put out the we're ok, word only to have the power to go out.

My son's power came back on yesterday afternoon. Ours was still out this morning. We decided to take the contents of our freezer over to his house. Howard, Jim and Mike helped one of Jim's neighbor's with their crepe myrtle. It had a lot of broken limbs all tangled up together. They worked for about an hour, I kept the kids out of the way. I think I had the harder job! Everybody loves/ wants to be with Papa.

We stopped at Arby's and had lunch on the way home. After leaving the windows and sliding glass door open to catch the breeze, we found we had electricity! All those years of fussing about closing the door, you weren't raised in a barn got thrown back in my face. It made me laugh.

We didn't have much damage at all. A little bit of fascia and a few boards off the play fort. Our neighbors fence fell over into our yard. Howard, Mike and the four neighbors had it put back up in no time.

All in all, we weathered our first FL hurricane with less difficulty than we had in NC with Hugo! Now, Jose, take a hike somewhere else!

Thanks for the messages! With no power, there was no Wi-Fi here at the house, so they were a nice surprise this afternoon.
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou
  • Tracie T
    The Guild President
    • Sep 2017

Re: Bye Bye Irma

I'm happy to hear you are ok. I've been praying for Florida, Texas and all the other southern states going through this. Take care and God Bless!
    Tracie

Comment

Working...
    X