• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • happygram
    The Guild President
    • May 2011

Used Bernina or new Janome???

There's a used Bernina 440 QE with the BSR and an embroidery module available at the local Bernina store. It's got 2,000,000 stitches on it, was bought in 2010, and 2 of the 3 warranties are still good. There's a new Janome 7700 Horizon that looks like it could drive itself. It's got all of the bells and whistles including the full warranty. I've tried both of them, and they sew beautifully. There'd be quite a learning curve with the Janome (perhaps this is a negative?) and it looks like it was designed to quilt with an 11 inch "workspace". (I don't know what that part is called.) The Bernina has lots of "stuff" on it, sews nicely, but isn't particularly a quilting machine. The "throat" or whatever it's called does have a bigger quilting area than the machine I have (a basic Bernina workhorse).

I realize that I'm interested in quilting and that the Bernina deluxe quilting machine is waaaaaay out of my price range.

Does anyone have advice for me about the new Janome 7700 Horizon and/or the used Bernina 440QE? Pricewise, the Bernina is a few hundred dollars more than the Janome.

I don't have a lot of experience with any machine other than the one I've used for 4 years.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Used Bernina or new Janome???

I was in a similar spot around Christmas time and since I want to focus on quilting, chose the new Horizon over the used 11000 combo machine. It's a very personal decision but I know I made the right one for me. The Horizon is a gorgeous machine and I'm loving it. It has some super features (I've posted videos on YouTube highlighting some of them) and the 11" throat space is amazing! So far it is my dream machine. (Sorry, I don't know anything about the Berninas...)
    - Angie

Comment

• DCM
      The Guild President
      • Nov 2011

I would personally buy the Janome if it had all the features that I was looking for. I guess I would worry about something wearing out on the Bernina that was no longer covered under the warranty - the new Janome would be under warranty for a longer period of time. I would also look at whether or not there was a certified service center for one or the other in my area in case something ever needs to be fixed. Sounds like no matter which one you choose, you will be buying an awesome machine. Enjoy whatever you buy!
      Dawn
      A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Comment

• Genny
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2011

All I can say is Janome...This is the only brand I will ever have.
        TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

I'm partial to Janome, but I've never owned a Bernina. I know that Bernina owners are wild happy with their machines!! I have looked and played with Berninas at the quilt shop but the price on Berninas are through the roof! I sew on a New Home (Janome) Memory Craft 4000. It's close to 20 years old and has never had a down day! I drool over the new features on the modern machines, but I'm not ready to part with my "old girl"!!!
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2010

I love Janome!
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• Beakkmom
              The Guild President
              • Nov 2011

Jenome

Lin

Comment

• bfavorite
                Shiny Thimble
                • Sep 2010

I owned a Bernina 820 for two years and just never felt comfortable with it. It was just too "finicky" for my taste. I had to take it back to the shop for adjustments more than once; it seemed like whenever anything went wrong, it needed to be fixed by a trained Bernina technician.

I know the Bernina 820 machine was really, really smart, but somehow when I tried to use it and couldn't, I ended up feeling really, really stupid. I finally sold the Bernina about 6 months ago and bought a used Janome Horizon instead (and had plenty of money left over, since the used Horizon was way less expensive than what I sold the Bernina 820 for.)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this machine! I was able to begin quilting on it right away, and have gradually been trying out more of the special stitches and features. I don't think I will ever go back to Bernina, simply because, for me at least, the Janome is just a more user-friendly machine. It "thinks" the way I think, and so it is easier for me to use. The Horizon is also an exceptionally quiet machine to operate. I literally feel like it is "purring" when I'm sewing on it.

BonnieGale

Comment

• happygram
                  The Guild President
                  • May 2011

Thanks so much for your good advice.
                  This weekend was the "big" quilt show in Phoenix, and I went to look around and drool. There were wonderful displays and exhibitions of Janome and Bernina and just about everything else. When I stopped at a local shop's area, there were lots of Janomes hanging around, and a nice gentleman came over and and asked if I was interested in seeing any of the machines. I gulped and said I was. To make a long story somewhat shorter, he said the Horizon had a special quilt show price, and that I could trade in a coverstitch machine I got for a gift and have used twice. After the show, I came home and told my husband about this, and I called the shop this morning. The person who answered the phone told me that I'd spoken with the owner's son at the q

Comment

• happygram
                    The Guild President
                    • May 2011

Oops! I wonder how I did that?

Anyway, the owner's son said that because I wasn't in a huge hurry for the machine, they'd give me another hundred dollars for the trade in. This was just too good of a deal to pass up, wasn't it?

So....in a couple of weeks, I'll be the delighted and confused owner of a new Janome. Now, if I can only figure out how to use it...

Thank you again for your comments and help.

Comment

• Lisalou
                      UN-Biased
                      • Dec 2011

Aw happygram, really delighted for you!!!

Lx

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2012

I have a Horizon, love it because it sews so nice. Had a bit of an issue with FMQ with it, still unresolved, but I'm on this forum instead of being at the dealer to learn some more about the machine. I failed to take the included lessons on the Horizon right when I bought it, now I need to go back and do that 18 months later, because I forgot half of what I learned in a seminar that was really a sales pitch for the machine. I don't know what that opening is called, I heard someone call it the "harp", that makes sense. I bought the Horizon because of that 11" space. I also have a Janome 6600 and a 10000 that is 10 years old. Never will purchase another embroidery machine, too much fuss and expense for the benefits, in my estimation. But I would spend an equivalent amount of cash to get a real long arm quilting machine! Go figure! But, I have an old Bernina, tiny little thing, 35 years old and still sews like a champ. I don't know how wonderful the new Berninas are, just know they are pricey, new or used. We are losing Bernina dealers in our city, does anyone know if there is a problem with that company? We've lost 2 (closest to me, of course) over the last year.

Comment

• Cathy F
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2012

I have a Janome embroidery machine and I found it very user friendly, and a friend of mine bought a Janome sewing machine and said the same thing, very user friendly. You probably won't have any trouble learning the new machine!
                          Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                            I have a Horizon, love it because it sews so nice. Had a bit of an issue with FMQ with it, still unresolved, but I'm on this forum instead of being at the dealer to learn some more about the machine. I failed to take the included lessons on the Horizon right when I bought it, now I need to go back and do that 18 months later, because I forgot half of what I learned in a seminar that was really a sales pitch for the machine. I don't know what that opening is called, I heard someone call it the "harp", that makes sense. I bought the Horizon because of that 11" space. I also have a Janome 6600 and a 10000 that is 10 years old. Never will purchase another embroidery machine, too much fuss and expense for the benefits, in my estimation. But I would spend an equivalent amount of cash to get a real long arm quilting machine! Go figure! But, I have an old Bernina, tiny little thing, 35 years old and still sews like a champ. I don't know how wonderful the new Berninas are, just know they are pricey, new or used. We are losing Bernina dealers in our city, does anyone know if there is a problem with that company? We've lost 2 (closest to me, of course) over the last year.
                            Jean, I posted 7 videos with tips on the Horizon if you're interested. Here's the link to my youtube channel...
                            Welcome to my channel! My videos reflect the many creative interests I have embraced over the years, from baking & cooking, to crafts (scrapbooking, stamping, Cricut creations, and more), to quilting and the love of vintage sewing machines. My latest obsession is bead collecting. I began with Pandora and branched out as I discovered other brands with OHM Beads now my passion! I hope you enjoy watching, and hopefully learning from, my videos. Please feel free to leave comments and video suggestions or contact me with any questions. You can check out my blog at www.overthekitchencounter.com for more details about most of the videos shared on this channel.

- the videos are on the right side and will play in sequence. The Horizon group seems to like them and they are a good reminder of some of the great features.
                            Angie

Comment

• bec
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jul 2011

I have a Janome 6600 and love it. It is quiet and is user friendly. I actually tried the Horizon and thought about buying it because of the 11 inch harp. However, while playing with it, the little plate that turns the throat-plate hole into a single needle hole malfunctioned and the needle hit it and totally messed it up. They actually had to put a new one on because the damaged one could not be repaired. A technician was showing the machine to me and guiding me through it so I know it wasn't something that I did.
                              After coming home, I searched the internet about that problem and found that quite a few people have had that problem. I even discovered that a lady at the local quilt store had the same problem more than once with her Horizon. So I bought the 6600 for half the price of the Horizon and am very please with it. That being said...I am not into embroidery...so for you the Horizon may be worth it. And just to be fair, there are those who love the Horizon and have not had any problems.

I've never tried a Bernina so I can't comment on it.
                              Bec

Comment

Working...
                              X