• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phoots
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2011

Alabama Storms

Prior to moving to Las Vegas, I lived in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, home of the University of Alabama Crimson Tide!! I spent about 11 yrs there and I loved it! Yes, it was hot and muggy in the summer and it could be bone-chilling cold in the winter. But it's beautiful there!! Tuscaloosa has a river that runs through it, the Black Warrior River!! Whenever I was having a bad day I would go down to the river and sit and cry or write in my journal.

While in Tuscaloosa, I lived in 3 different homes. The first one was the house we inherited when my MIL passed away. The second was my dream home, which we nearly lost to foreclosure. The third was a rental in a not so nice neighborhood but to my surprise the neighbors were awesome.

This past spring, on the afternoon of April 27th, a tornado tore through Tuscaloosa. If house #1 hadn't been torn down to build a new school, it would've been destroyed by the tornado. The new school was destroyed. I'm pretty sure the house #2 was okay, but I can't get confirmation on that. House #3, again I can't get confirmation, I'm pretty sure it was damaged at best.

Very early this morning, a severe line of storms again tore through the state of Alabama. The city of Tuscaloosa was spared, but north of town there was a little damage. Further to the north and east lies Jefferson county. The storms hit the northern Jefferson county area of Center Point, Clay, Trusseville, and other communities.

This has been a very difficult 9 months for the central Alabama counties. Please do me a favor and say a prayer for the people who have either lost their home or have damage to their home. Please pray for the families of the little girl in Clay who died and the 82-yr old man who also lost his life. And please pray for those who are injured. The one thing I love about the south is that people are always willing to help others. If a neighbor has a chainsaw and sees that someone has a tree down, he'll go over and help out.

One of the things that really warmed my heart was in August, a week before Kent State was to play Alabama on the football field. The Kent State players came down a week early to help to rebuild homes in Tuscaloosa!!

Thank you for your prayers!!

Pam in Vegas
    Pam in Vegas
  • bakermom
    Missouri Star
    • Sep 2010

Re: Alabama Storms

Glad you weren't in Alabama monday! i have a DD there. The tornadoes in April came very close to her though her home was OK. monday's were close too. It was a bit alarming to wake up Monday (DH had the weather channel on TV)and hear of tornadoes tearing thru her area. I saw pictures she had of the April destruction around her. We are so blessed she wasn't touched.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• Blondie
      Missouri Star
      • May 2010

Pam, thanks for sharing your sweet home alabama story. We truly do live in an awesome country with such variety.
      Of course, you know I am praying for these folks who were so hard hit -
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• Claire Hallman
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

Thanks for the kind wishes and thoughts about Alabama. We have been devastated here by storms this year. It is specially sad that some of the same areas are hit over and over. This is the third time in my adult life that the Oak Grove community has been partly destroyed and I believe Center Point/Clay area as well. Tuscaloosa seems prone to tornadoes as well. We live south of Birmingham and although we had lots of rain and hail, we did not suffer any damage. The young girl that was killed was the child of someone that works where I used to work.
        We are lucky here that it is as you said, neighbors help neighbors and we will survive this as well. Your prayers and thoughts are very welcome and appreciated.
        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• brittyboo07
          The Guild President
          • Jan 2012

Prayers going up!
          Britt

Comment

• Sandy Navas
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2010

No one understands the whys and wherefores of weather and the damage it can cause. I've watched tornadoes in our area completely strip homes of friends and neighbors. We've only seen minimal damage on our own property but it does seem that being in 'tornado alley' brings chance of destruction.

Our thoughts and prayers are with our Alabama friends. I spent time at Fort McClelland back in the 60's and have found memories of Anniston!
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• sewmuchjan
              Missouri Star
              • Nov 2010

Prayers for our family and friends in Alabama. My DH family (Father's side) live in Bremen so we always worry about our Kin there when the weather is causing damage.

God Bless and keep them all safe.
              Love and Hugs
              Jan G
              Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
              THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
              :lol:

Comment

• Nena
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2011

Thoughts and prayers are being sent for all those in that area.
                I am such a material girl!!!!!:icon_wave: Nena

Comment

Working...
                X