PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Hellos

JCY
August 6th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Oh my goodness! What a gully washer we had last evening. About 7 p.m. the skies started getting dark. By 7:30, we had a big thunderstorm going -- thunder, lots of lightning, heavy driving rain coming down in sheets. The street gutters filled quickly. Only the middle hump of the street wasn't running with rain water. The storm sewers couldn't handle the water fast enough, so the intersection at the corner, 2 houses away from us flooded. I get a bit nervous when there is a lot of lightning. Quite a few yrs. ago our neighbors' house was struck by lightning & caught fire during a thunder storm. We're supposed to have cooler temps. now for the next few days.

I got no sewing done yest. Went groc. shopping in the a.m. & toured the new hospital in the afternoon. I think half the town turned out! I thought I'd never find a parking spot. I saw several people I knew from church & the hospital where I used to work. A retired nurse & I did the tour together.

This a.m. will be church. I hope to do more FMQ this afternoon. Have a good day.

MaryUK
August 6th, 2017, 09:12 AM
We leave Indian Shores today for home having had a fabulous holiday!! We have to be out of the condo by 10am but our flight from Orlando doesn't leave until 6.30pm so will take a leisurely drive back and stop off at Pointe for a couple of hours. Don't land in the UK until 7.30 am our time (we're 5 hours ahead) but I return to work on Thursday so by then any tiredness will have gone.
I can't wait to get back to my sewing room - first job will be to finish some UFO's which I got behind on. Then clear the desks becos I promised a messy crafting day with my DGS before he returns to school in September - think inks and paints!! Don't want these anywhere near my precious fabrics!!
When I return to work I will have just 7 weeks to work until I retire, but who's counting hahaha!!!

Bubby
August 6th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Morning Everyone,

I'm having issues with my laptop.

We got heavy rain yesterday and it's supposed to continue for most of the week. It stormed all night but not so bad that we had to take shelter. We need the rain so badly.

I will cook a roast this afternoon. I have a mess of fresh green beans to cook up, too. That's it for me this morning.

Wishing everyone a blessed day.

peggiep
August 6th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Morning all....it seems the storms were everywhere last night. We had a brief one, no lightning, just thunder and heavy rain for about 5 minutes, then the skies cleared and the moon came out. Weird weather!

Had a friend over yesterday for a "lupper"* bbq and had a very peaceful kind of day. Much discussion about a potential road trip somewhere in Ontario within the next few weeks before all the fall activities start up again. No idea where we will go, but we are going somewhere!

After Sue left, around 8 pm, I went into the studio to attack my scraps. I sorted, ironed, folded and put away all my scraps from almost 5 years of quilting. Wow! I feel as though I actually accomplished a major chore and it only took about 3 hours.

Today, I will tackle my Secret Santa project and attempt to make a "painter's apron" for DH. A little over ambious, but after yesterday, I am inspired to make more scraps...lol!

*lupper - a meal between noon and six that leaves lots of time for visiting with friends.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Navy Wife
August 6th, 2017, 10:51 AM
I'm in Gulf Shores, AL with part of the family. DD has gone to meet GS and his 2 boys, 2 and 4. DDIL on her way over after spending the day with her sister. My sister should be arriving later. We are having a great time already with 12 adults and 3 under 5. Can't wait till afternoon!

Carlie Wolf
August 6th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I think today will be a good day, I over slept till 10:30AM and it felt wonderful. I hadn't been sleeping well the past few nights.

Yesterday was one of those days that anything you touched had a "problem". I did manage to get some fresh wax beans and green beans canned. Not as many as I'd have liked. This year I'm getting a lot of green with all the rain but not as much veggies as last year. My printer went kaput about a month ago which I didn't feel was "right". So yesterday I pulled out two of my older computers and tried installing it on to them to see if I could get it to work. I then had problems with both the computers that I had to "fix" first, then tried the printer. Hours later I did not succeed. So I decided to purchase a cheap computer which I did yesterday. We'll see. I spend more for the previous one and that only lasted just over a year.

Sooooo, after that I vegged out in frustration and general demise. Just watched tv and only a minimum, minimum of sewing....thinking tomorrow is a different day. And it is :-)

KPH
August 6th, 2017, 01:22 PM
We're back from IN and the long visit with MIL and both BIL's. My niece that wanted a Tee Shirt quilt made with all of her band T-shirts never brought it up. I always had the niggling feeling it was her mother's idea. It didn't disappoint me that she never mentioned it. One less thing to do.

My MIL wanted a book shelf quilt made for one of her dear friends. The friend came over and said that would be too tedious, pick something else. So another score in my favor. She picked out Autumn Air Metallic Patty cake, https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/74781/rjr-fabrics/rjr-studio/autumn-air-metallic-patty-cake

I found a burgundy tone on tone for the background at a LQS (that is way too far away to really be considered local!)

I'm going to use M*'s Missouri Crossroads for the pattern. https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutorial/missouri-crossroads-quilt

Now to figure out what the grandkids schedule is for the next two weeks. Sounds like we'll be doing some baby sitting while my son is doing his final prep for the new school year.

It's great to be getting back into the swing of things, even though I probably should be unpacking more boxes!

toggpine
August 6th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Saturday I judged a goat show several counties away. It was light on entries this year, which was good, as several of the entrants were clueless. One I know should know better, and the other was brand new, so she gets some leeway.
We stopped at Cabellas on the way home and Hubby parted with some of his accumulated gift cards. He bought himself a new lunch box. He has been using one of those little Igloo coolers as a lunch box for years. He is now the proud owner of a spiffy new Stanley lunch cooler. This one will actually latch shut now!
We headed home and forgot to hit the grocery on the way. A quick run back netted us pork steaks for the grill for supper and the ice cream for today's punch. While fixing supper I had a killer attack of cramps. To the point I went and dug out the Midol, took two, and had to lay down. I was nearly sick from the aromas of dinner. It took 30-45 minutes before the major pain eased, then I had a crash nap for about an hour. I woke up, and everything has been good since. Ugh.

Today we are having a Sharknado watching party. (It is a totally cheesey bad B film, but that is what makes it so funny. There are a ton of cameos by stars. Bad overacting and puns abound in them. They are debuting Sharknado 5 today, so we are throwing a small party. Complete with blue punch, gummy sharks, Swedish fish, snack mix made with goldfish and pretzel gold fish crackers, salsa with "shark fin" chips (triangle tortilla chips), and other tasty "bites. It will be fun, and Emily is jazzed about it.

I have a few things going in the sewing room that will be on hold for the day, but possibly could get back to after the movie marathon. If the inspiration bites!

Make it a great day out there everybody! Share those hugs and smiles with as many people as you can. You never know who needs them most.
C

Carlie Wolf
August 6th, 2017, 01:59 PM
toggpine love that you got to judge the goats. I loved the animal judging at the fairs. One of my daughters use to show holsteins and did very well at it. I had sheep, no goats. I did use to judge handspun yarns and the sheep fleeces at the fairs and really loved doing that. I miss those old fairs up in Vermont! The Sharknado activities sound like a lot of fun. Now there's something I never hear of LOL