PDA

View Full Version : The wait is going to kill me......

shermur
August 4th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Well, another temp job down the drain.....:icon_rolleyes:

After four weeks of being diligent early, doing everything asked of me, fast/accurate data entry and wanting more training, I was told today the red flag for NOT offering me a full time position, was I should have never given recommendations to better the work flow in the precious corporate office. They assumed that I thought they weren't running their company correctly? All this before they really got to know how my mind works....to achieve simple efficiency and all employees on the same page.....so much for trying to take initiative. :icon_cry:

So, now I am impatient to start packing and head to Vermont. It is very evident I CANNOT find a job here in Springfield, MO after 7 months. So, I give up and I will accept defeat.

Murray has 4 more cancer treatments (through Sept 8th) before we can move? Should I dare have high hopes that this "new adventure" in life? I am so scared to think so......

K. McEuen
August 4th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Ah, look at is as an adventure and try to keep an open mind. Otherwise you sit where you are and be ticked about everything. Not that you don't have plenty of reason to be ticked, but at least hoping for the best might keep you in better spirits.

cv quilter
August 4th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Sherri, I am so sorry for your troubles...this is a hard pill to swallow! I don't know if you are better off moving, but I DO wish you only the best. I think one of the hardest things I have learned is that when things are really tough and jobs are few, I have finally had to bite the bullet and keep my head down, show up every day, do my job and just mind my Ps and Qs. Sometimes I found that as I stayed on the job and plugged along, eventually I gained the confidence of my company. I am not saying that you didn't do that, but that's been my experience. Maybe you are actually supposed to move someplace else. I believe in things working out the way they are supposed to...sometimes against our best and most positive thinking and hopes. Hang in there. I believe we should always have high hopes and keep saying our prayers and thanking God for what we have now, and believe that HE knows best for us. Stay positive, Sherri. I will say a prayer for you and for only good things to come to you. Praying for Murray's treatments to be good and that things will work out for both of you.

snippet
August 4th, 2017, 11:52 PM
Try to shake it off and be glad for the move. Some companies will be like that and no sense in trying to fit in to their regime.

Here's to better things ahead in Vermont.

stationarymom
August 5th, 2017, 12:54 AM
I'm sorry you have to go through this ,but today it seems companies prefer to hire contract workers and let them go and get more contract workers because it saves them money.My son went through this but here they can keep you for 6 mos before they have to decide f they will hire you or not.

Cokie
August 5th, 2017, 01:35 AM
Temp jobs are hard. We use a lot of temps at the company I work for, but we are only allowed to keep them for a specific period of time. A temp job can be a good foot in the door, or it can be just that - a temporary job. I was fortunate to be hired into the position I have now from a temp job, but my husband lost his job 2 and a half years ago and is still looking. He's worked for a couple temp agencies that only hire for their busy seasons and then let people go. I'm sorry you are going thru so much all at one time. I hope whatever you decide will be the best thing for your family. Sometimes there is no right or wrong decision - just a decision that has to be made based on the best information you have at the time. Saying a prayer for you and sending a hug.

pcbatiks
August 5th, 2017, 02:14 AM
Sherri..........sounds like you could use a group hug from the forum. I'm sorry you've had so many stressful things going on lately. But like the others have said...........moving to Vermont might just be the change you and your family need. We will be praying that every thing will fall into place smoothly with the upcoming move, the job search, good health and much happiness for both of you. Big comforting hugs to you.

Andrea F
August 5th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Sherri, I am so sorry you have to go through all of this and sending hugs, too. I will keep my fingers crossed, that Vermont is the place you will find a new job and everything finally falls in place for you. Hang in there and try to stay positive, it can only get bettter.

Monique
August 5th, 2017, 08:55 AM
They obviously didn't appreciate you. Wishing you better things in Vermont.

grammaterry
August 5th, 2017, 12:56 PM
So I'm an optimistic fixer personality. May I suggest you make an appointment with the HR people in the company that isn't hiring you based on your aggressive recommendations. Explain that you are happy with data processing and you like the work. Explain that your personal life is in chaos and that you were reaching out for organization somewhere and that perhaps (use that word) you overstepped your position. Ask for reconsideration. You have nothing to lose and companies generally want to hire tho people who want the job not the money

shermur
August 5th, 2017, 01:03 PM
So I'm an optimistic fixer personality. May I suggest you make an appointment with the HR people in the company that isn't hiring you based on your aggressive recommendations. Explain that you are happy with data processing and you like the work. Explain that your personal life is in chaos and that you were reaching out for organization somewhere and that perhaps (use that word) you overstepped your position. Ask for reconsideration. You have nothing to lose and companies generally want to hire tho people who want the job not the money

Terry....great advice, but.....when the conversation ended with the supervisor, I pretty much told her "Best of Luck" with the way they do business. I also told her unless any of the corporate employees were walking a mile in my shoes? They had no clue what I was going through and couldn't possibly understand. To which, she could offer no sense of compassion. There is no turning back now.

To those of you who are uplifting, giving the virtual hugs and praying for the family? Bless you and your compassion means the world to me.....

I am to have lunch with my Dad and step=monster today....goodness knows, how that will turn out and will probably add more drama and stress before all is said and done.

KarenC
August 5th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Praying for you and hoping that things will turn around soon. It's hard , but we always need to look for the silver lining, which is not always obvious to us.

Cool Breeze Quilter
August 5th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I am so sorry you and your DH are going through this. It seems many company's today don't want people who are capable of bringing intelligent thought out information to the table. Just bodies that will do as they are told.

I know this is scary for you but remember that you are stronger than you know and braver than you think you are. You can do this.

Anitamae56
August 5th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I have thought of you every since you have moved to Arkansas, I am forum stalker. :) I have no advise but my sincerest of good luck to you and good heAlth to you and your husband. It sounds like are being strong, but I am sure inwardly you are very shaken by all this. Many prayers and thoughts sent your way. Please keep all posted how things are going. And hope "monster" step mother lunch is good.

shermur
August 5th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I have thought of you every since you have moved to Arkansas, I am forum stalker. :) I have no advise but my sincerest of good luck to you and good heAlth to you and your husband. It sounds like are being strong, but I am sure inwardly you are very shaken by all this. Many prayers and thoughts sent your way. Please keep all posted how things are going. And hope "monster" step mother lunch is good.

Anita.....thank you for that sincerity, sweetie. Life I once knew it went to you know where in a hand basket when we moved to Fort Smith, AR and life has NOT been any sense of normal since.
Although, I will state....the two quilt guilds I have been a part of the past year and a half has helped me grow; for that I am grateful. I will miss the Modern quilt group I am a part of very much. and I am sure should we find employment, get moved and settled...I will long to be a part of something special in Vermont.
The luncheon with Dad and step-mother went better than expected; although, it seemed that it might be the last time I see my Dad? As I am hoping it won't be.....Dad will be starting his radiation/chemo treatments for his pancreatic cancer next week. My two sisters will have to make sure Dad is taken care of since I will be far away.....

grammaterry
August 5th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Can I ask why Vermont? I think I missed a thread

Deegles
August 5th, 2017, 09:30 PM
That door is closed, but one day you will see the beauty that closed door offered and it will be deemed hindsight.

dwil23
August 5th, 2017, 09:50 PM
So sorry for all you are going through.

As far as your job, please take this in the way it is intended, four weeks is really not long enough to understand the hows and whys of how things are done. It doesn't mean you might not have a better, more efficient way, it just means that you need more time to really see the big picture. No one wants to have someone come into their workplace and tell them that what they are doing is wrong after only a few weeks. It can be very insulting to the individual who has been doing the job to be told that they are not efficient enough by a temp worker. Think about how you would feel if the tables were turned. It takes time to "earn" the right to suggest changes, unless you were hired as a consultant with the purpose of changing things.

I was married - for a long time - to a man who could not keep a job, and I suspect this was the exact reason. He would come home and tell me "how stupid" their processes were and they should do it his way.

Hope this helps in the future and I, for one, would be looking forward to a move to Vermont!

(((HUGS)))

shermur
August 6th, 2017, 01:19 AM
Can I ask why Vermont? I think I missed a thread

The oldest child lives in Vermont and she has offered to help.......

toggpine
August 7th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Sherri, once you make it to Vermont, you might check into working as a substitute at the school district. We have clerical, para-educator, and lunch lady spots available in our districts here in Washington state.
The pay ranges from $11+ to $15 as a sub. If you hire on as full time that can raise to $17+.
As a sub you have the availability to choose the dates you work. Especially helpful if you have appointments, etc. Our full time staff also has the ability to get healthcare.
It might not be your thing, but if it's anything like our districts, you can work any and all days you might want. We can also sub for multiple districts.

Big hugs and best wishes for you.