PDA

View Full Version : Cable rant

jjkaiser
July 26th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I will try mot to make this too long but jeez! I am a customer of Time Warner Cable which is now Spectrum. Last week they had a major problem with their servers and my webmail was down for six days. I called every day to complain. Today I called billing because I wanted to straighten out my bill which had a mistake on it, so I asked about getting a credit for the webmail problem. After being put on hold two times, and transferred to two (wrong) departments, and winding up talking to the original billing department, I got my credit of a whopping $10. I asked, "Don't you automatically give a credit to all the customers who were affected by the outage ?" Uh apparently not! First they have to confirm that your service was actually down. Next they check to see that you called in and reported it. Third, you have to call in and request a credit to get one and it is determined on a case by case basis. Is it me or does this seem like crummy customer service to make you jump through all these hoops? I think it is pretty unfair to all the people that had this issue but did not call to report it. And if everybody had called, their phone system probably would have crashed from the deluge. Ok you can go back to whatever fun thing you were doing. Rant over. I feel better!!

tesspug
July 26th, 2017, 07:36 PM
We had Charter years ago. They messed up our billing, which took forever to correct. Charter has also been swept into the Spectrum company and I think they have the same people working. Over the years we've had several providers and the only one we didn't have problems with was Verizon. They sold to Frontier. Frontier deleted channels with out informing any one, so we switched to Spectrum. It looks two weeks and three techs to get all the bugs worked out. One poor guy was here for three hours, 6pm-9pm trying to get it all working. And during the time they were getting set up, they deleted channels. A curse on all of them.

PrettyCurious
July 26th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Yes, their CS sucks. They all do.
They used to give credit for outages, but now they think they are neccessary like the power company, and don't credit for lack of service. Course since the power company only charges for what you use, you aren't paying for power outages, but the cable company thinks no one will notice, or will be too busy to complain.

We haven't had cable since 2013, and don't miss it one bit.
We get free over the air [OTA] local station TV, plus have a roku box, and a couple of fire sticks, which not only give us more stuff than we can possibly watch, but we get to watch it WHEN we want to. We can also pause to get popcorn and drinks or go potty.
We can also watch youtube on it. We were paying $130 [including tax] for basic cable and internet. We ditched our house phone back in 2003. Now all we pay for is internet [$50] and [net10 unlimited @ $43 each] cell phones. We had magic jack phone [$20 year], but we didn't use it much, so we let it expire.

Get an antena and a fire stick and move on with your life. Paying to watch TV is a waste of "pretty fabric money"

grammaterry
July 26th, 2017, 09:50 PM
We canceled everything and pay $50 fo a local Wi-Fi. Cancelled landline phones went with republic wireless/cell phones at $12 each phone. Have a roku and utube and we stream local news on our tablets. Sometime s I miss thumbing thru channels then I remembered there's nothing on

JCY
July 26th, 2017, 10:05 PM
In all the years we've lived in CO we've never had cable or satellite service. We used to have over-the-air with rabbit ears till things went digital a few years back. Now we just use the converter box. It brings in ~50 channels, some of which are Spanish only, but we watch only a few of them like the major networks. We really don't watch a lot of TV.

Customer service isn't what it used to be. Last week I spent an hr. on the phone with Century Link (our phone & internet provider) -- talked to 4 dif. people, but was on hold most of that time. It's very frustrating.

shirleyknot
July 26th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Wish I had wireless here. No cable either though. I have a landline I seldom answer, and a satellite dish for internet. And a pretty big movie collection. :D

Carolnnc
July 26th, 2017, 10:07 PM
I'm so glad I saw this! I was toying with checking on pricing because DH really misses watching sports. We had Direct TV for 15 years and they are absolutely wonderful. Never had any problems but dropped them two years ago when the bill went to $100 a month. We now have Netflix and an outdoor antenna and that's more than enough for me.

Grey Lady
July 26th, 2017, 10:11 PM
We are a cord cutter household. The billing problems from Comcast cable (over billing was their habit & fighting to get it corrected) drove us away. Its 3 years now with high speed internet, Roku, and a Chromecast dongel. We haven't missed cable at all. We are in the American West noe
and have an OTA antenna. We purchase only what we want. HBO will get our $15/mo for Game of Thrones..

Star lover
July 26th, 2017, 10:19 PM
I feel much better...we have a land line phone; no cell, no cable, no satellite ....never have had any of it. We have a converter box on the TV and are usually happy with silence....or music. We too have a marvelous DVD collection of great movies, when we're bored....which is rare. We do have high speed internet through the phone line. Our total bill is $60 a month. We're happy...and bonus....more for fun...fabric for me! Yeah!
But CS is at its worst. I've rarely contacted them with prompt, curteous, efficient results. My standard answer is that there are other companies that are looking for new business, perhaps I need to make some phone calls...I usually get pretty good results. And on occasion I still switch, drop, etc.
Sad state of our world.....