PDA

View Full Version : ADTT......Almost Daily Tidbits and Trivia

Star lover
July 19th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Didn't want to leave our friends up north out, so...... I applogize if this is common knowledge.

There are overpasses made for wildlife.

In Banff National Park in Alberta, highways are designed to create the perfect marriage between passing vehicles and overpasses for the wildlife including; grizzly, black bears, wolves, coyotes, cougars, moose, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, wolverine, and lynx.

Vonnie
July 19th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I have never heard of this before - Awesome!

Iris Girl
July 19th, 2017, 08:07 AM
This is awesome!

shirleyknot
July 19th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Can you imagine the roadkill otherwise?

Sandy Navas
July 19th, 2017, 08:48 AM
We have something similar here in the US. Haven't you seen the Deer Crossing signs on the major highways? What I don't understand is who pays for and trains the deer so they know where to safely cross the road? And how many of them flunk out - because we have corpses strewn up and down the roadways.

JCY
July 19th, 2017, 11:56 AM
We have some of those wildlife crossings on major highways here in Colorado, too.

shirleyknot
July 19th, 2017, 12:17 PM
We have something similar here in the US. Haven't you seen the Deer Crossing signs on the major highways? What I don't understand is who pays for and trains the deer so they know where to safely cross the road? And how many of them flunk out - because we have corpses strewn up and down the roadways.

I haven't seen one of those signs for a while. Do they still have the antlers on backwards?

Hulamoon
July 19th, 2017, 01:21 PM
What a wonderful idea!

Cool Breeze Quilter
July 19th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Wow! What a great idea.

BethB
July 19th, 2017, 08:46 PM
And there are also "Moose Crossing" signs in Maine.

SallyO'Sews
July 20th, 2017, 12:31 AM

Have you ever heard this? A lady calls her local radio station to express her concerns about deer crossings: http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=radio+caller+deer+crossing&v=-GvNpKL3gSg

A couple of years ago, our town put up "Turtle Crossing" signs in my neighborhood. I kid you not. I've been here for 14 years and never seen one turtle. And we wonder why our property taxes keep going up! :icon_shake:

bubba
July 20th, 2017, 12:50 AM
I've heard of them and seen them in news articles, but never in person. I remember driving on I84 east from Portland several years back. It is either a six or eight lane freeway. There are cables that hang over it and I could see a squirrel crossing the freeway on the cable!! They apparently train themselves to do that.

CraftySweetPeas
July 20th, 2017, 02:30 AM
Washington will eventually have 27 different animal crossings in a 15-mile stretch of road. We already have one - the elk overpass, at Snoqualmie Pass.