PDA

View Full Version : Window replacements looking for recommendations

jjkaiser
July 12th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Okay way off the quilting topic here but oh well. Our house has old fashioned wood windows you know the kind where you have to climb up a ladder and take the entire storm window out and put the screens in. Have been nagging dh for years to replace them. Window buying --man it's a jungle out there! So many styles, choices, we are dizzy! Considering Renewal by Andersen. Googled that for customer reviews and they were all over the map from "worst decision ever" to "world's greatest windows." So if anyone would like to add their two cents please do. I'm kind of confused right now. Thank you

grammaterry
July 12th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Man, I'm with you. Our Anderson rollout windows are over 50 years old and the sashings are rotting and we need to replace. However, they don't make that size window in the big box stores at a price we can afford. The sizes are all wrong. They say they can order them, but we don't have a gazillion $$. So , we've been limping along for at least 5 years putting it off.

Mimi_Howard
July 12th, 2017, 08:02 PM
At my fathers house he had ones put in that as you slide the window open the screen slides out from the side. So when completely closed there is no screen in the view. Well they are starting to show wear and tear across bottom corner of the screen as you slide it open. One good thing is the screen is attached to a side piece that hooks on to window, so you can unhook and replace the screen unit. Not sure how expensive that is going to be or even if the company is still in business. It has been probably 15 years or so since it was done so I am sure they are past their warranty.

redcaboose1717
July 12th, 2017, 08:25 PM
My sister and her DH have Pella Windows in their home that is about 10 yrs old....they still look pretty new, and I know that my sister has never complained about the windows.
The windows in our house are 35 plus years old....and need to be replaced soon.
We have a couple of companies here in Michigan ( one right in our town ) that has great reviews.....so I am considering putting new windows in the house next summer.

http://quotes.improvementcenter.com/5x/index.jsp?service=windows&te=y&lp_sitecode=ic_window_1&uca=y&blp=n&nqc=1&FBLC=y&CCID=20277501203823280&QTR=ZZf21052914Za20277501Zg172Zw25Zm551Zc203823280 Zs3086ZZ&CLK=380170712162610969&ac=003&ad=13664079222&ki=84462692847&mt=p&sq=pella windows replacement&&lp_theme=brand&lp_comp=Pella&&WT.srch=1&exp=y

Navy Wife
July 12th, 2017, 08:38 PM
We had ours replaced last spring. Our windows are vinyl like the old ones (20 years old). We bought from Window Works, and I'm very pleased. Not too expensive, lifetime guarantee, double panes with free Low E coating. And they give a military discount if you're eligible. They are national with a local office and installing team. Also got the discount from TVA for energy right windows.

cv quilter
July 12th, 2017, 08:49 PM
We just recently bought from a Local Window Dealer...Better Built..through purchased and installed through/by Home depot. Double pane, sliders, and we love them. We do see a difference in our home's heat/cold temps. We had a bid from Anderson, they were $ higher than what we decided on. We're retired, pretty much on a fixed income, and every $ counts. We are very happy with our decision. Shop around. It never hurts. We love the fact that we shopped and bought local.

amyquilts
July 12th, 2017, 09:44 PM
One thing to keep in mind-you can buy the best windows you can afford and if the installation is lousy, you will be disappointed and have problems down the road. On the other hand, even a lower cost window will serve you well if the installation is done well.
So the installation is just as important as the window!

SuzyQue
July 12th, 2017, 09:46 PM
About 20 years ago my hubby put in all new vinyl replacement windows. That company is long gone. They were so much better than our ancient wood windows with storms that literally whistled when the wind blew. We recently built a new addition on our home with 9 new windows, so we checked out what was available at the local hardware big box. Found some Pella on sale, clearance, cheaper than anything else! Ok! Two of the windows had tiny imperfections that we noticed once hung. I called Pella and they sent replacements in less than a week. So.....bet you can guess what brand of window we put in our kitchen! Yes, Pella. We always thought they were too pricey, but they are very comparable to other brands now and their service is impeccable! We can't wait for that special order to arrive. These windows all open like a dream.....with one finger and they are large windows! Check out Pella.....we were so pleasantly surprised!

cv quilter
July 12th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I agree with the Pella quality and Customer Service. We also replaced our two slider doors when we got the new windows. They are beautiful, wonderful, and Pella replaced one of our sliders when we discovered bubbles in the window. They were quick and pleasant to deal with and actually the installer told us they throw the door they replaced (the ENTIRE slider) away. We were so wishing that we had a place to use that door.

chelea
July 13th, 2017, 12:32 AM
We replaced our windows approx. 15 years ago with generic Home Depot brand. They do the job, but some of the seals are leaking causing condensation between the panes. I believe there are some brands that will give a lifetime warranty so if the seals leak you're covered.

bubba
July 13th, 2017, 12:47 AM
When we bought the new ones for our addition, we bought them at Lowes. We put them in ourselves, but I think you pay for them to do it for you as well. I love them and wish the whole house had them, but he likes the 100 year old leaded glass windows.

Georgie Girl
July 13th, 2017, 08:00 AM
One thing to keep in mind-you can buy the best windows you can afford and if the installation is lousy, you will be disappointed and have problems down the road. On the other hand, even a lower cost window will serve you well if the installation is done well.
So the installation is just as important as the window!

I agree with you 100 percent on installation. You can have the best windows but if they are not installed properly you will have a nightmare. We questioned who was installing and his experience. We replaced our doors with Anderson and our windows are by Marvin. My DH doesn't like vinyl so we went with wood and replaced the molding with wider molding. They are very solid.

asta
July 13th, 2017, 08:19 AM
My advice, from past experience is to ask questions of the company you are thinking of...Who will do the installation? Is it contracted out? What materials will they use? Side note-the guy who did our window replacement used a non-paintable caulk so we had a clear gel look all around our windows.
If you are having people in to give estimate, be ready for at least 2-3 hrs for each estimate, one guy we had to kick out after almost 4 hrs and he was not even done yet.

BethB
July 13th, 2017, 08:56 AM
I have no suggestions for windows, but just make sure if you go with a private contractor, be sure they are reputable. About 6 or so years ago, we used the same guy a neighbor had used to replace their windows. They were very happy with him. However, when he did ours we had some problems. He came in maybe the end of September to do the estimate. He said he needed half the total cost to order the windows which we gave him. Then we waited and waited and waited. Well, October turned to November and we were calling him asking when he would be coming. He used a lot of excuses. Finally, in December, he told us he needed the balance of the cost to get the windows. We told him either he shows up with the windows or we would call the police. He finally came --- coldest day of the year --- at the end of December. The windows are great, but the experience was horrible. Our neighbors who used him for their windows and a couple other projects, were very surprised.

MRoy
July 13th, 2017, 06:34 PM
We replaced our wooden windows with vinyl clad double-pane windows several years ago and I'm still very happy with them. They have the tilt-in feature that allows me to clean both the inside and outside of the pane from inside the house. They are much more airtight than our old windows. We got full screens but they are easy to remove for cleaning. The brand we got is Jeld-Wen and my BIL who was a building contractor installed them.