PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits and Trivia

Star lover
July 12th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Today's trivia is about giraffes....thinking of Alice and her baby....

A giraffe is able to clean its ears with its own tongue.

Giraffes live for 10-15 years in the wild, but average 25 years at zoos.

Giraffes can eat up to 77 pounds (35 kilograms) of food every day. They do not eat meat, but prefer the leaves and tender shoots of trees and shrubs. Their favorite meal, the leaves and twigs of the thorny acacia tree, have all the nutrients a growing giraffe needs, except for calcium and salt. The leaves also contain a lot of water, making water holes much less of a necessity.

The average giraffe's blood pressure is two or three times that of a healthy man.

The giraffe can drink 12 gallons in one setting.

A giraffe can go without drinking water longer than a camel can.

A giraffe's heart is very big and very busy, pumping up to 20 gallons (75 liters) of blood every minute, and weighing up to 25 pounds (11 kilograms) and measuring 2 feet long.

A giraffe has just 2 gaits, walking and galloping.

Just like humans, giraffes have seven vertebrae in their necks. Unlike humans, however, each vertebrae is about 5 inches (11 centimeters) long. The neck of an adult giraffe is about six feet long (1.8 meters), and is extremely muscular.

Oxpecker is called the Renostervoël, which means Rhino BirdGiraffes can often be seen with small, winged passengers perched on their backs. These birds are called "oxpeckers," or more commonly known as "tick-birds," because they eat the ticks off animals, including grateful giraffes. The birds get fed, and the giraffes rid themselves of parasites. Nature working in harmony. By the way, these useful birds also like the giraffes' earwax, and will travel deep into the ear to get it. Yum!

Giraffes can't swim.

Giraffes can clean their ears with their 21" tongues. Their tongues are blue/black to prevent sunburn.

The most famous recipient of a giraffe gift was none other than Julius Caesar, who was most impressed by the present. He named his new prize animal “cameleopard,” because he thought it resembled a cross between the two species. He paraded it home for the whole of Rome to admire. And then he stuck the poor animal in a circus arena and fed it to lions to show his power.

A giraffe’s lungs can hold 12 gallons (55 liters) of air.

Hope you enjoy!

Georgie Girl
July 12th, 2017, 07:47 AM
wow that's a lot of tidbit trivia but very interesting. Thanks.

Iris Girl
July 12th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Very interesting animals for sure!

Vonnie
July 12th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Wish I could go back in time and make Julius trade places with the giraffe in the arena!

Thanks Anita!

Sandy Navas
July 12th, 2017, 08:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrWo5pEvyk

These giraffes can swim . . .

Star lover
July 12th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Sick, wacky, weird, fake....but I couldn't stop watching.....

Sandy Navas
July 12th, 2017, 09:18 AM

Which goes to prove you just shouldn't believe anything on the internet - but isn't it mesmerizing? There's also one of an elephant on a trampoline.

Star lover
July 12th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Which goes to prove you just shouldn't believe anything on the internet - but isn't it mesmerizing? There's also one of an elephant on a trampoline.

The giraffes were "better"... more mesmerizing....I kept waiting for the elephant to flap its ears and fly...or something....

Vonnie
July 12th, 2017, 10:06 AM
LOL - Wonder what type of video they would do for quilters? :icon_mooooh:

grammaterry
July 12th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I appreciated it a lot since our restaurant is named Longnecks

quiltsRfun
July 12th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Wish I could go back in time and make Julius trade places with the giraffe in the arena!

Thanks Anita!
Things didn't turn out too well for Julius either. What goes around comes around, eh?

SallyO'Sews
July 12th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Things didn't turn out too well for Julius either. What goes around comes around, eh?

How come they didn't explain that to us in history class? It all makes so much sense, now!

Hulamoon
July 12th, 2017, 05:59 PM

That reminded me of Fantasia, one of my favorite movies. The elephant was fun too.

redcaboose1717
July 12th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I agree.....this is interesting.....I didn't know most of those facts !
Thanks for sharing !

CraftySweetPeas
July 13th, 2017, 02:09 AM
LOL!! I can't stop laughing and replaying that. I love the giraffe that looks into the camera and "slops" his tongue at the camera...ha ha. I just keep seeing & hearing, "Fake news!" ;) Thanks for the trivia and the laugh!

redcaboose1717
July 13th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Anita, I agree....I knew it was fake...but I just couldn't stop watching it ! :)