PDA

View Full Version : Hooting and Sewing Night Owl @,@

kimsophia
July 12th, 2017, 01:05 AM
Hoot hoot a root toot! How are all the night owls? I've been working on adding side sashings to more Floating Hexagon blocks...I have around 21 more to go...my machine isn't letting me use invisible thread in the bobbin case any more so I'm back to regular thread down there...but it was fun while it lasted.

The newspaper today says that my local Jo-Ann's is moving across town early next year, so it won't be a five minute drive for me to get there any more. There is a Wal-Mart that I could try within a five minute drive, though. Of course they don't have the selection of Jo-Ann's but they do have some basics.

What's new in your nest?

stationarymom
July 12th, 2017, 01:16 AM
Hoot hoot i'm glad to see the Owls still come out at night.I had to clean the house tonight so not a stitch of quilting done here.My dad comes in from Ok tomorrow, he's here for about 6 weeks.He was supposed to be here for a month but i'm scheduled for surgery on 8/16 so he's staying a little longer.

Cokie
July 12th, 2017, 01:45 AM
I'm up way past my bedtime. Found out today that I need to have surgery - scheduled for August - I'm dreading telling my boss tomorrow! Looking at quilt patterns and procrastinating. Have a good night everyone!

Judy, USMC
July 12th, 2017, 02:02 AM
Waiting up for the Daily Deal then off to bed. Up early for breakfast at the hotel and then the trip home. Stopping by a fabric store on the way first, then a real bakery (not as many here as in Chicago) and finally Fresh Market to get some lean meats.

Today wasn't the greatest day for Steve ... suffice it to say more will follow on a proper diagnosis once all the results are received. The doc today was glum to put it nicely.

Hope everyone is doing well and only the few who have checked in need surgery. Have a great day everyone!

toggpine
July 12th, 2017, 03:59 AM
Emily and I took a quick trip to JoAnn. The fabric I wanted from M* for the background of the Sasquatch quilt was out of stock. We found some grey flannel that will do the trick and it was on sale!
We also found some fabric that will work for the trees. I needed 1 5/8 yards and they had 1yd.8". I had the gal search for the fabric and there are only 3 stores with any left. We will be headed out to pick it up tomorrow. Thankfully it's only about a 90 minute drive, they have 6 yards of it, and will hold it for me! We will probably visit Nana while we are out too.
The bulk of the flannel has been washed and is in the dryer. I wanted to make sure that this was all pre-shrunk before cutting since it will be made of many different brands of flannel, including some heavyweight shirting.

We are headed off to tuck in for the night!

bubba
July 12th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Hoot hoot a root toot! How are all the night owls? I've been working on adding side sashings to more Floating Hexagon blocks...I have around 21 more to go...my machine isn't letting me use invisible thread in the bobbin case any more so I'm back to regular thread down there...but it was fun while it lasted.

The newspaper today says that my local Jo-Ann's is moving across town early next year, so it won't be a five minute drive for me to get there any more. There is a Wal-Mart that I could try within a five minute drive, though. Of course they don't have the selection of Jo-Ann's but they do have some basics.

What's new in your nest?

I am so very spoiled! Joanns is about two minutes from my house. One Hobby Lobby and Walmart are about seven minutes and very close to each other. There is another Hobby Lobby about five miles from my house the other direction. I buy almost all my purse lining fabric at Walmart, by the bolt. I like their Waverly line. They also have nice home-dec for a most excellent price! There is some I am drooling over at Hobby Lobby, but it's over $20 a yard, where it's $3.97 at Walmart. Different prints, but just as nice.

kimsophia
July 12th, 2017, 05:23 AM
I was watching some Netflix "Slow TV" with "Norwegian Knitting Night"...a show with a group of women and one man, the shearer, who were trying to break the international record for making a specific sweater. It's subtitled. The record was over five hours long but they didn't show it all on TV...although it was live streamed on Facebook, evidently...they clock starts with the sheep getting sheared. She was a very calm sheep and the shearer was a pro and veteran of 24 years of competitive shearing. (I had a friend in college who had a brother who was a competitive shearer. He learned how to say "beer" in many languages!...but I digress, lol)...they have four or five spinning wheels going at once and a couple of knitters who get started as soon as there's a spool ready. The show is relaxing with the clicking of the wheels and watching the wool getting spun and knitted...the Norwegian's have a different hand motion for knitting than the looping of the yarn around a needle that I've seen...I'm maybe halfway through the show and I see on Netflix that there's another knitting night show, too...so I'm set for a couple nights of knitting viewing :D

I got the side sashing sewn onto the 49 blocks and ironed. I'll need to cut more bottom sashing before I can start with that. I own a June Tailor strip cutter template but I don't have a big rotary cutter to cut through four or more layers of folded yardage like the video tutorial shows...so I'm just using the ruler and mat method on two layers and that's working okay.

toggpine
July 12th, 2017, 10:31 AM
They do a competition like that at the state fair every year. It is called "Sheep to Shawl". They have several groups that compete. I can't remember if they knit or weave the item, either way, the end results are beautiful.