PDA

View Full Version : Monday oh Monday

Monique
July 10th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Good morning folks. It is a cloudy sky this morning. Not sure if it will bring rain or not.

I heard from Blondie this past weekend. She is busy with family. She had a little visit with Eleanor who came to visit with her Dad. Momma Ruth is away visiting so Blondie and Sis have been house sitting. But she is well. Eli will a baby brother in September.

You all know by now that Maizyn's surgery was a success. I gave Maizyn a tablet that I had that I wasn't using. She seems to have adapted quite well to it. Her last message was at 10:47 pm last night. I was long asleep by then, LOL! I am glad to be home but I haven't done anything in the sewing room. I have lost my mojo for the moment. I do work on Friday so I will take that dang hexie quilt that I thought I was done with. And then I work for the next two weeks at that little post office in the church. So I better get my groove on.

On Wednesday Bonnie and I are going to head to Arnprior. The quilt store has moved and I know Bonnie has been craving wings. It is also Les' birthday but he is taking his brother for an appointment in the morning and then he will work his regular Wednesday night shift.

Have a great day friends.

Star lover
July 10th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Morning Monique and everyone....
Monique, sounds like the quilt shop visit might help you get your mojo back. So thankful Maizyn is doing so well.
I'm back after a week vacation. Visited my father in law....not what makes me happy. He's a chain smoker (I HATE cigarette smoke....HATE it) and he never cleans up after himself. The worse was the toilet....I wore gloves ....and it's a good thing I have a strong stomach! Yuk!! I spent an entire day cleaning. My DH even helped. I usually wait till everyone's outside and sneak in and clean. Told DH, no more. Your dad needs to know, he can and should be doing it. FIL grumbled the entire time....well I hope he got the message...clean! He doesn't have to do it everyday, but my oh my, once a month would be better than nothing. But my gosh, he's by himself, he can do it every week....sigh... the smoke, yuk, took very little with us, cause even if not worn, it has to be washed, it all smells.
Ah well, life.... can't wait to get back into my sewing room. Smaller projects for the summer, so maybe I can actually finish....something!

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer...it sure is flying by!

Iris Girl
July 10th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Morning all. Its foggy here right now should give way to sun later on. So happy Maizyn's surgery went well. Anita I hear you about the cigarette smoke. None of us are smokers and so we are especially sensitive to it. I think smoking is the most disgusting habit ever. It makes your clothes and hair stink your, skin grey, your fingernails, and fingertips yellow. Gross... LOL did I mention I hate smokers habits? Ughh in the store those that think they are so well dressed and classy and reek of stale smoke then they open their expensive leather purses to pay and it smells like a tobacco shop. If I were single it would definitely be a deal breaker. OK off my soapbox.

I worked on the house quilt some got 3 houses done and 2 more fabrics picked for.
Yesterday the girls had a little birdie show outside the window. Looks like he was kicked from his nest and didn't know what to do. Hubby was not happy he was on his truck LOL

Work for me today, Have to return a fan to Walmart this morning as it smelled like burning wires. Other then that nothing.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Georgie Girl
July 10th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Morning everyone. Was up earlier checked the DD and went back to bed. Oh Anita you bring back icky memories of taking care of my dad. Not sure how old your father in law is but they just don't get it specially as they get older. My dad didn't smoke but he had a phlegm problem and would spit a lot. Talk about gross. I kept a box lined with a garbage bag for him but would miss sometimes. And then I would be scrubbing the floor. eck! and he had bathroom problems. When my MIL was still alive she had a accident in bed and my BIL called me to clean her up. Told him and my husband I can do it but I'll gag a lot. The next day she said to me I think we had a bad day yesterday and I said that's ok I love you. My advise though is to continue to give him help and do the best you can. If he's alone and has no one he's probably depressed. Getting old sucks so make him as comfortable as you can. If you can visit him more often or can he afford someone to come in and help him? Maybe put some of those smelly things around the house to help with the cigg smell I was still working back then and we would go to my MIL one day and then the next day to my dad's. He was the hardest very demanding. We might be in the same boat someday. Now that they are both gone in my heart I know I did my best. Good luck I know it's hard.

KPH
July 10th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Good Morning All!

It was a busy weekend. Had the kids over Sat. night for dinner. #1S and DIL put the tile up in their kitchen. Then kept the kids on Sun. afternoon so they could get the grout done.

Busy laundry day here since we're heading out for a couple of weeks. Going to MIL's, #1S family will fly up on Tuesday of next week. #2S is going up with them to help with the three grands. We'll be in IN before them helping MIL get ready (like she's not ready already) and staying to help with our nephew's PhD celebration at her house. That will give us 4 days to clean and straighten everything out that she's put up baby proofing her house.

Hoping to finish up another row on the hexie quilt today and lay out the next couple of rows. I know I won't be taking it with us to IN!

Georgie Girl
July 10th, 2017, 09:00 AM
It's raining and gloomy here. Was going to work on my project of redoing a metal table with redoing the mosaic that I couldn't get to yesterday but The rain is keeping me in which is a good thing. I worked on a label yesterday all morning redoing it at least 6 times and gave up. Took my embroidery machine in for service. Some letters were small some large and then got so tiny. I was so disgusted since I needed to make 3 and was finally going to get them done. And he's remodeling the store and 2 to 3 weeks out for repair. I just want to get these 3 quilt done and delivered. I've got so many things pulled out from starting different project I can barely walk in my cave and I thing I have a cutting table but not sure where the top is. Time to clean up and get organized. That's my plan for today.

mischiefkat
July 10th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Iris,
Love your kitties. At our house we call this cat activity "kitty tv". Kathy

Star lover
July 10th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Oh Anita you bring back icky memories of taking care of my dad. Not sure how old your father in law is but they just don't get it specially as they get older. My dad didn't smoke but he had a phlegm problem and would spit a lot. Talk about gross. I kept a box lined with a garbage bag for him but would miss sometimes. And then I would be scrubbing the floor. eck! and he had bathroom problems. When my MIL was still alive she had a accident in bed and my BIL called me to clean her up. Told him and my husband I can do it but I'll gag a lot. The next day she said to me I think we had a bad day yesterday and I said that's ok I love you. My advise though is to continue to give him help and do the best you can. If he's alone and has no one he's probably depressed. Getting old sucks so make him as comfortable as you can. If you can visit him more often or can he afford someone to come in and help him? Maybe put some of those smelly things around the house to help with the cigg smell I was still working back then and we would go to my MIL one day and then the next day to my dad's. He was the hardest very demanding. We might be in the same boat someday. Now that they are both gone in my heart I know I did my best. Good luck I know it's hard.

Wow, it makes me feel a bit better...misery likes company kinda thing!

My FIL is in his mid 80's. My MIL made my FIL smoke outside, so this is newer. She was a super nag and my FIL doesn't want to do anything or my FIL is lazy and she had to nag to get things done. Not sure witch. My BIL lives close by and is single, no kids, but won't visit. Not sure what's up with that. But my FIL just doesn't want to do anything. I mean nothing. The house needs all kinds of work....small stuff, but lots of it. He keeps saying he needs to, but doesn't. My MIL ran them into debt real bad and he's still paging it all off, 3 years later. He has a neighbor who feels sorry for him, cuts his lawn. He had cable problems, so no TV. He hates that, it was all he did watch TV and smoke. I just don't get it that he can't at least dust, run the vacumn.....guess he never did, so why do it now? But the bathroom is the worst!
He has a woman who comes around all the time,with her daughter ...no one likes her....she comes for money and to bolster her ego. Long story how she came into the pic. My FIL pays her to clean......told him he's wasting his $, she doesn't.
Ah well, another rant, time to get off the soap box and get some stuff done around here and maybe sew.
Y'all have a wonderful day!

grammaterry
July 10th, 2017, 09:49 AM
You all sound so busy Monique especially you. Sorry about your father-in-law's habits. I know smoking can be a real disgusting thing especially if you don't live in a household where there is a smoker's. I have always lived in a household that had a smoker and have gotten used to it. The worst is scrubbing walls. oh well. Today DH is down trying to get the mud off the driveway and replace it with some dryer dirt so we can drive up to the house. It's been a week of rain and we couldn't have replaced that Culvert at a worse time. Anyway we're supposed to have three dry days and maybe the dirt will dry and will be able to drive the half-mile up to the house. Yesterday at the restaurant I sold 5 baby quilts and two crib quilt and I was really excited about that. That's a good hall for the Shriners fundraiser. However now I am feeling pressured to make more baby quilts. I hope they can be done quickly. I only have three or four for people to choose from and that makes selling them a lot harder. The sewing part is fun the selling part is exciting. My house needs to be cleaned I need to wash windows and I know that DH is going to be a martyr today because he hasn't had any real days to go out and play for about 3 months. He thinks he's the only one that works so hard. We're just getting old and tired.

Monique
July 10th, 2017, 09:59 AM
I quit smoking in 2008 after my mother passed away from lung cancer. I have NEVER looked back. Hubby quit for a couple of years but got back to it. He is NOT allowed to smoke in the house. He smokes outside in good weather but smokes in the closed in front porch in bad weather. I am always spraying Febreeze in there. I don't like the smell either.

Kissing him is like licking an ashtray!! YUCK!!!!!!!

JCY
July 10th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Good morning to everyone ~ More of that hazy sun. It promises to be another hot day. It got up to 102 yest. No end in sight of the 90's-100 till maybe Thurs.

I had a birthday call from DS#1 (lives in MD) yest. & we had a good long gab for >1 hr. Got caught up on all the fam. news. A nice long e-m from my cousin who is the same age as I am. She's single --never married, lives alone. She's also a quilter.

Yest. was church, a couple stops for groc. on the way home. In the afternoon I did more quilting on the Two-Step quilt. I'm maybe 3/4 done with the body of the quilt & will do the border last. I'm wishing I'd had some So Fine 50 wt. thread for this one, since it's batiks. All I had on hand in the right color was 40 wt. cotton. I browsed Superior's web site this a.m. Watched the video on So Fine thread. It comes in a lot of colors. I've noticed that Angela Walters & the gal on Tamarack Shack use So Fine most of the time. I also read the PDF on Groz-Beckert LA needles. A lot of good info. there. My LQS carries just the #16 & #18 needles, which cost ~$5.00/pkg. of 10. Superior's price is cheaper, and if one buys a pkg. to 100 needles, it figures out to 28 cents a needle, which is the cheapest I've seen yet. Not sure how long it would take me to use up 100 needles! It would take me a while to make/quilt 100 quilts.

My 1st husb. was a smoker. I can hardly stand to be around smokers anymore; their clothing is so permeated with the smell. I have problems with people who wear strong perfumes or wear clothing that has been laundered with strongly scented fabric softeners. When DS#1 visits, after he leaves, I have to strip & wash ALL the bedding, not just the sheets. It takes 2-3 wks. before the scent is gone from the room & carpeting where his suitcase sat. It makes for a lot of extra work.

Both of my Amazon orders got here in time for the FMQ class this Wed. with Angela Walters. The FMQ foot came Sat. & my new Supreme Slider came yest. (My old was losing its stickiness.) I have at least 5 sandwiches made up. Most are old sample blocks I'd made or just a plain FQ. Before going to the class, I'll wax my extension table. I already have a list made so hopefully I won't forget to take anything important. We have to take our own lunch & beverages. I'll try to get some pics while Angela is here. She speaks at our guild mtg. tomorrow eve. I expect a record crowd. I want to get there early to get a good seat. The program coordinator mentioned our guild has waited 3 yrs. to get Angela to come. I've been looking forward to this event since Jan.

Time to check on the laundry & get on with my day.

Georgie Girl
July 10th, 2017, 12:09 PM
My dh smoked in the den was NOT allowed upstairs or any other room or the car and then a few years back I had open heart surgery getting a new pig valve. The doctors gave him a good lecture and he now smokes in the garage rain, shine, cold, snow and he has cut back to about 7 a day. I'm grateful that I didn't have to bitch at him for the awful habit he has besides being so expensive. I think that is why he never says a word when that box comes from M*

redcaboose1717
July 10th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Nice to see you back.....

My mom smoked and so did my sister ( until she had an brain aneurysm in 2005) and the neurosurgeon told her not to smoke and she hasn't. When I grew up, I couldn't ever smell the smoke, I guess I was just used to it. When I married years ago, my DH & I didn't smoke, and wow when you go "BACK " home after not living in a smoke environment it sure is noticeable !!! So yeah, I know what you mean especially when you don't smoke the smell gets to you !
So, now that you are home you can get back into your sewing room and relax and have some fun !
Take care.....Again, it's nice to see you're are back !

Georgie Girl
July 10th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Oh Anita rant away. I did my share back then. Oh and the people that come out of the wood work to take advantage of the elderly. It's a shame and the elderly don't see it. Or the family member that all of a sudden appears at the end like a saving grace. Give me a break. OK I'm stopping left that all behind me. Hang in there and do the best you can.

redcaboose1717
July 10th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Monique, I know what you mean about kissing ashtrays....I think the funniest thing when my oldest son came home to meet my soon-to-be new hubby a few years back, my son Jeremy was very polite, talked with J.R. for about 20-30 minutes outside and then came in and acted at first like he wanted to say something but didn't know how or what to say, so he blurted out " Mom, do you know that J.R. smokes ? " I nodded my head and said "Yeah, he's a big smoker....makes a pack of cigarettes last 7-10 days. The shop he works for is a non-smoking facility too, so he really can't smoke much, and you know me, it's not going to start in the house." Jeremy held the laughter in for about 3 seconds after I stopped talking and said " Wow.....that's amazing. My mom's marrying someone that smokes, I don't believe it. Hey, do the rest of the kids know about this ? " When I said they did.....Jeremy just grinned and walked away. When he left he hugged tight and said in my ear "Betcha $10 bucks he won't be smoking by the time you get married! "
Jeremy was right on that count. J.R.( sorry I often refer to him as John on the forum too ) Just a week or so before the wedding, he was trying to find out what to get me for a wedding gift and kept throwing "hints" out....so I said to him " The best wedding gift you could give me is to STOP smoking..." He agreed. I told him that if he started back up, I knew a Husqvarna Serger I was going to get as a gift from him ! Well, about 2 yrs later, he came home with a Husqvarna Serger....and admitted that he had stopped that morning and bought a pack of cigarettes and on his way home he stopped to the shop that I got my Husqvarna Viking Designer SE and picked out the Serger!!! So, it was a pretty expensive habit to get back into I must say. John normally has Tic Tacs in his shirt pocket, so it isn't that awful to kiss him, although I think smoking is gross. I have more laundry per week than anyone I know because I wash his coats and light jackets once or twice a week....it's amazing how you can SMELL that stuff if you aren't used to it !

My dad was the only person I ever let smoke in our home.....and really dad and mom were here almost every night for dinner. Daddy died in 1994, and we moved here ( we used to live clear across town and moved 1 1/2 miles from my parents in 1993 ) in 1993, and honestly for the most part, Dad & Mom didn't smoke in the house....normally they would come for dinner, visit a little bit, we would play Euchre a couple of times and then they would go home. Sometimes I would go back to Mom & Dad's after the kids were in bed and I would play scrabble with mom while Terry & my dad visited ( our kids were 16,14, & 7 yrs old when we moved here, old enough to stay alone for an hour).
I miss my parents terribly. Daddy died in 1994, mom in 2006. Both from cancer. So, I beg all my friends and relatives that smoke or drink a lot to PLEASE stop......some of the family has quit smoking and or drinking ( if they did both ) but for the most part most of them are still smoking, even one of my cousins whom I am very close to was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and she won't stop smoking :(

Take care everyone. I slept all day yesterday.....missed church ! ( I haven't done that since 1999 ! ) I was pretty surprised when I woke up and it was 2 :30 pm. I then didn't wake back up until 11 pm and I have been up since then.

(((HUGS)))

Guess I am going back to bed !

redcaboose1717
July 10th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Lucky you Joy.....getting to see Angela during your guild meeting. I have wanted to meet her for a long time ! Oh well, maybe someday....good things come to those who wait! ( My Grandma used to say that to we three girls when we were young.)
I got an email from a friend that also does quilting. She wants to know if I would want to start teaching some friends of hers quilting. I taught my friend how to sew and to quilt years ago, and so she thinks I am the best quilter & sewist around. ( Got her fooled don't I ? LOL.....) Anyway, I told her I would have to think about it. My friend is going to call the local library and find out what we need to do to reserve a room for a class like that.
My basement is finished and carpeted....BUT some of the gals that she has mentioned this to are getting up there in years, and I worry about them falling down the carpeted basement steps......and I don't want to have someone excluded if they really want to come. Most of these ladies are friends of both my friend and I, they go to either my friends' church or mine. I think there's only 3-4 that we both know that aren't members of either of our churches, they attend churches elsewhere.
Take care.....and enjoy your meeting with Angela Joy, Lucky YOU !

Bubby
July 10th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Jeff is a light smoker, less than a pack a day. He does not smoke in our home or anyone else's home (even if they do) or our vehicles. When he comes indoors from smoking he washes his hands and brushes his teeth. That being said, we have had to clean up some of the most awful messes from smokers at the apartments. It's really disgusting.