PDA

View Full Version : First time for everything!

asta
July 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Background story...FIL 80th Birthday tomorrow, We are taking him out for dinner tonight then return to his place for cake.
This morning I got up early to make him his favorite cake-angel food with vanilla glaze. As the cake is cooling DH and I ran to pick up his gift, we get home cake comes out of pan beautifully, glaze is delish, put a few sprinkles on to make it a bit special. Set the cake on the kitchen table then DH and I grab a quick lunch salad. All I can say is the cake was irresistible to Asta. Next thing we know as we are on the deck eating is the slight clinking of dishes, go to look and he has 1/3 of the cake gone!

DH is now gone out to buy an angel food cake and I have the glaze for it ready to pour.

That jerk faced dog of mine is in the dog house now!

Vonnie
July 7th, 2017, 03:44 PM
LOL - I remember when I left a half dozen biscuits and a pot of gravy unguarded! 60 pound house dog was very happy about that! Only gone for a few minutes but enough time for him to grab the pot of gravy and the pan of biscuits. What was amazing is he somehow got the pot of gravy on the kitchen floor without turning it over. He licked the pot clean and there was not a crumb of biscuit left.

One time my aunt left her BLT unguarded. Her little dog extracted the bacon from her sandwich. She took a big bite and was surprised that there was no bacon in it and her dog had bacon breath!

shirleyknot
July 7th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Sure glad I train my dogs to NOT eat anything that isn't in their dish, or in MY hand. People around here will poison dogs.

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2017, 04:15 PM
lol Beth. At least it was a low fat cake!

shirleyknot
July 7th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Lotta sugar though. That dog be BUZZING!

asta
July 7th, 2017, 04:49 PM
lol Beth. At least it was a low fat cake!

But he has NEVER done this, has never even attempted to do this in his 10 years of life with us, maybe off the coffee table if we are eating in the living room but never from the kitchen table.

Purchased cake is now ready to go, I am sure it won't taste as good but no one will care.

CraftyJnet
July 7th, 2017, 04:59 PM
My old dog Andy could be trusted with roasts or steak or sandwiches, etc. But he absolutely loved bananas and they weren't safe within his reach. He would eat the peels and all, the only thing he left was the top of the stem.

Lyndaj
July 7th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Sorry mom, but you left it there. Obviously too tempting for your pup.

I know if I did this, my Java would eat it too.

jjkaiser
July 7th, 2017, 05:37 PM
When my dog (the one who just died) was a puppy we had a birthday dinner. I set the homemade cheesecake on the kitchen table while I cleared the dishes in the din rm. Well wouldn't you know the dog got up on the table and devoured about half of the cake! He licked and licked his lips for about an hour afterwards. No doubt he dreamed about that cake for weeks after! I cut a wedge about 2" wide down the middle and we ate the rest anyway. But there was no leftover cake that time.

Carolnnc
July 7th, 2017, 05:52 PM
We've never had a problem with our dogs. Years ago our cat ate half a fruitcake and then proceeded to get sick all over the house. Our new cat loves navy beans and mango peels. I found her in the trash can curled up and chewing on a mango peel and purring away. I had to move the kitchen trash to the garage steps.

DeniseSm
July 7th, 2017, 06:32 PM
I made a double batch of meat loaf once. 4 pounds of meat in two separate pans. I had it on the counter to cool when I heard a crash. I ran to the kitchen but in under forty seconds my 85# dog and consumed over 4 pounds of meat loaf.

It was not a pretty picture when it came out the other end.

Angelia
July 7th, 2017, 06:48 PM
My cat snagged the turkey from my sandwich once--slipped it out without disturbing the bread or lettuce! I took a bite and thought, "What?" Saw him in the corner finishing up the slice! :)

Hulamoon
July 7th, 2017, 07:08 PM
I had a pastry in the toaster oven to store and my cat opened the door. She can open the sliding screen door too. Little smart ass. lol

K. McEuen
July 7th, 2017, 07:17 PM
I used to have a cat that tried to take a 16 pound turkey out of the sink that I had sitting in there, thawing. It was still wrapped in the heavy plastic. I walked in and he was on the corner of the cabinet, drumstick in his mouth, pulling for all he was worth.

Georgie Girl
July 7th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Gosh these stories are so funny. When my daughter and family would come to visit with their German Shepard mix Dozer he seemed to think the slab of bacon I was going to make was for him. He is gone now but funny memories. And yes our pets shouldn't be eating our food but they are animals and if it is there they are going to go for it. Keep the stories coming I need some laughs.

Judy, USMC
July 7th, 2017, 10:04 PM
My Grandma's Rule - NEVER leave a pet or 2-year-old unattended !

laura44
July 7th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Hahahaha soooooo funny!!! My dog once ate a bag and a half of uncooked barley, would
also eat empty cereal boxes. (when we 1st got her, she was starving).
Now that she is 17 years old, I have to beg her to eat.

redcaboose1717
July 8th, 2017, 01:04 AM
What a cute story Beth !
My cat "Mason" loves different "human" foods......He loves bacon, New York Sharp Cheese, Ruffle Potato Chips etc....and oh, I just found out that he likes cherries....I dropped one when putting them in a small serving bowl for my snack earlier tonight. Mason grabbed that cherry so fast......he was pretty surprised when he bit into it ! LOL .....I am still laughing at him !

Your FIL will have a great B-day despite the fact the Angel Food Cake wasn't homemade....although I must admit they are delicious. I have made quite a few Angel Food cakes over the years.

Star lover
July 8th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Such funny, sweet stories....y'all are making my day. We has a dog, Sandy, she was great. Never ate off the table....except once. We had power failure on only half of our service, and had take out burgers. Edison came to fixed it. We went outside to talk to the guy and had only left for a minuet, only to return to my DH's empty wrapper and Sandy licking her chops. I had to split my burger...... Sandy never did it again, not sure what was so special about that burger, cause she never even tried that before, or since. Ahhhh, the memories, we can laugh ..... now!

Bubby
July 8th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Dottie would take the food right out of my mouth if she could. Olive had such good manners that she would wait until I told her it was okay.

dwil23
July 8th, 2017, 09:21 AM
I remember the story my Uncle told. They were having a dinner for several guest on the patio. Aunt Ann took the just baked ham out and put it on the table. When she returned, it was gone. They decided someone must have stolen it. Later that evening, when their extremely well behaved German Shepherd kept emptying his water bowl and begging for more, they knew what happened to the ham!

And oh, the stories I could tell about my sister's Greater Swiss Mountain dog, Spree aka "Mooch, the counter terrorist" and my daughter's doxie, Roxie,