PDA

View Full Version : American Flag

Hopehannah
July 4th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Just going to put this out there on this 4th of July as it's one of my biggest pet peeves. Please, please don't fly a torn American flag. It is so disrespectful. Also, if you hang the flag vertically, the blue star field should be in the upper left corner, just as if it were flown horizontally. Thanks!

http://www.military.com/flag-day/flag-ettiquette-dos-and-donts.html

Hulamoon
July 4th, 2017, 12:40 PM
That's a lot of rules for a piece of fabric. Don't get me wrong I respect the flag, but honestly that's a lot to remember.

Hopehannah
July 4th, 2017, 12:43 PM
That's a lot of rules for a piece of fabric. Don't get me wrong I respect the flag, but honestly that's a lot to remember.

I'm a retired veteran and the mother of a disabled Iraq war vet. Sorry you're inconvenienced by this. It was inconvenient for me to send my only child off to war to defend your freedom.

Hulamoon
July 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Thank you both for your service.

Carlie Wolf
July 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM
I think it's a shame that so many of the traditions we grew up with and learned have become lax. It's one of so many things that have fallen by the wayside. I think we suffer as families and culturally as a result including ethically and morally.

Georgie Girl
July 4th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I don't know but the "rules" seem more like common sense to me. They are what I was brought up with so I don't see the difficulty with them. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Midge
July 4th, 2017, 02:17 PM

Yes, there are a LOT of rules concerning the display of the flag itself as well as it's use on other items. But I support that Congress tried to make it very clear what the do and don't of it is after the flag burning Supreme Court decision. And I too am unhappy when I see flags in poor condition still on display. It's not just torn flags, it's also those flags that are very faded. Their day is over and they should be replaced and the old flag disposed of properly.

In fact, watching baseball over the weekend I was struck by the flag patches that players were wearing on the sleeves of their special jerseys for the Independence Day weekend. They seemed backwards to me, with the stars on the right. So I looked it up, because I was pretty sure MLB wouldn't make such a big mistake about this. Sure enough, it's covered under the Department of Defense rules, and the patch worn on a right sleeve must have the stars facing forward.

I know we say no rules in quilting and I'm not a real rules based person (exception: Golden Rule, of course), but I do support these regulations.

Judy, USMC
July 4th, 2017, 02:37 PM
As a veteran (retired after 20 years of service) it also saddens me to see a torn flag. There are many who respect the flag. But those of us who have served learned more about it than just what we were taught in elementary school.

It represents the origins of this country. How we are independent of any foreign rule; how many have fought for our freedom; how we have the right to worship in our own way; that we are 50 United States. Every day (back in the "old days") when I went to school we started off the day by facing the flag and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. Maybe by saying it so often it became too routine.

But the military community honors the flag twice a day; in the morning when the colors are raised and at sunset when they are retired for the night. Everyone on base hears the accompanying music and stops, faces the flag, and honors the flag as a symbol of our country. Yes there are a lot of rules, but the symbolism of that piece of fabric deserves to be honored across the country in a consistent and presentable way across all 50 states. Hence the Flag Code.

So yes, as a symbol, it is disrespectful to fly a torn flag. And if you do have a torn one and want to dispose of it please contact a local Veteran's organization (VFW, DAV, American Legion or whatever you have available) and they will properly "retire" it.

I will now hop off my soapbox!

Cokie
July 4th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Midge and JudyUSMC, well said! Thank you.

Georgie Girl
July 4th, 2017, 02:51 PM
As a veteran (retired after 20 years of service) it also saddens me to see a torn flag. There are many who respect the flag. But those of us who have served learned more about it than just what we were taught in elementary school.

It represents the origins of this country. How we are independent of any foreign rule; how many have fought for our freedom; how we have the right to worship in our own way; that we are 50 United States. Every day (back in the "old days") when I went to school we started off the day by facing the flag and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. Maybe by saying it so often it became too routine.

But the military community honors the flag twice a day; in the morning when the colors are raised and at sunset when they are retired for the night. Everyone on base hears the accompanying music and stops, faces the flag, and honors the flag as a symbol of our country. Yes there are a lot of rules, but the symbolism of that piece of fabric deserves to be honored across the country in a consistent and presentable way across all 50 states. Hence the Flag Code.

So yes, as a symbol, it is disrespectful to fly a torn flag. And if you do have a torn one and want to dispose of it please contact a local Veteran's organization (VFW, DAV, American Legion or whatever you have available) and they will properly "retire" it.

I will now hop off my soapbox!

BRAVO FYI: Just another source: Our court house has a drop off mail box for us to place our flags in and the local VFW properly disposes of them.

Carolnnc
July 4th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Yes there are a lot of rules, but the symbolism of that piece of fabric deserves to be honored across the country in a consistent and presentable way across all 50 states. Hence the Flag Code.

Thank you for your service and love of country.
When working I constantly battled with my fellow employees who thought I was nuts. They didn't care a whit about the flag code, dropping the flag on the ground, ignoring the times of half mast, bringing the flag in at dusk or running out to grab the flag when it started to rain. I explained that flag was symbolic of my son and I honored him by honoring that flag....they just rolled their eyes and laughed.
Everyday I thank God for the freedom we have in this country. I then pray for my baby boy who is a soldier defending that piece of fabric that is sacred to me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144630[/ATTACH

Bubby
July 4th, 2017, 03:18 PM
In short, the American flag should never be flown, hung, etc with the stripes in retr

Altairss
July 4th, 2017, 04:36 PM
sometimes there is a story behind a worn flag. My FIL had a neighbor that once a year flew a flag that was worn and a bitty tatty looking. It bugged him as a veteran, we knew that that neighbor was not well off so he bought a flag and took it over thinking perhaps that was all he had. Turns out that flag had traveled with three generations off to war and conflict and it was brought out just to celebrate memorial day as a testament to that's family service. In some regards could be seen as disrespectful and yet in the truest sense of the word, knowing the story, it was an honor to see that worn flag flown

cv quilter
July 4th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Thank you, HopeHannah! I appreciate your link and I appreciate your patriotism. Fred and I are super proud of our country and our flag! We love to fly it. We get upset, too, when we see the flag being flown in a torn and tattered state. We have a car dealership in town that has to replace one of those huge flags every few months at a cost of approx. $1800 each time. They do this because the flag gets torn and they respect the flag and our freedom! Bravo to them. We have another pet peeve: we went to buy a new flag to replace the one we had because the stitching was beginning to tear out. We had a heck of a time finding one that was made in America. There are many that are made in China (not wanting to cause bad feelings, but I feel our flag should be made in America.) The only one we found made in USA is made by ANNON, and that's the only one we will buy. There may be others, but so far that's what we have found here. I truly thank all of the veterans we have, past and present, and thank them for their service. God Bless America.

cv quilter
July 4th, 2017, 05:20 PM
We are able to take our torn and worn flags to the Local American Legion and they dispose of them properly.

Hopehannah
July 4th, 2017, 06:09 PM
A heartfelt "THANK YOU" to all of you who have contacted me privately, who have posted here in support of our flag, and to all of you who "get" it (and you don't have to be an American to get it!) To those of you who don't get it, don't worry, the brave men and women who wear the uniforms of our armed forces will continue to fight and die for your right to be ignorant!

Vonnie
July 4th, 2017, 08:12 PM
sometimes there is a story behind a worn flag. My FIL had a neighbor that once a year flew a flag that was worn and a bitty tatty looking. It bugged him as a veteran, we knew that that neighbor was not well off so he bought a flag and took it over thinking perhaps that was all he had. Turns out that flag had traveled with three generations off to war and conflict and it was brought out just to celebrate memorial day as a testament to that's family service. In some regards could be seen as disrespectful and yet in the truest sense of the word, knowing the story, it was an honor to see that worn flag flown

That flag is truly an "Old Glory".

http://www.usapatriotism.org/poems/cf/old_glory1.htm

Vonnie
July 4th, 2017, 08:16 PM
We are able to take our torn and worn flags to the Local American Legion and they dispose of them properly.

I would also think that a reserve unit would take them in. Or maybe ask a boy scout troop? Or ROTC?

LauraP
July 4th, 2017, 11:20 PM
I stopped once and chewed a Boy Scout leader out at a Jamboree because his boys were dragging the flag on the ground. If the adults don't follow the rules how are the kids supposed to know? Just recently I read an ad where a dry cleaner/laundry was offering to wash your flag for you!!!!!