PDA

View Full Version : Appliances... dishwasher is dead

RockinLou
July 3rd, 2017, 10:32 PM
I have been griping about the slow and steady demise of out 17 year old dishwasher for two years.... last week we went to shop for new appliances, DH placed an order for a washer/dryer and dishwasher this afternoon.

Tonight, the dishwasher died during its last load.... too bad we have to wait until the 11th for the installation :(

Here's the debate though... do we also replace the fridge/ range/ microwave at the same time so that they all match??

They haven't died yet, but I suspect the fridge is next ...

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2017, 10:44 PM
I don't think I would. Save your money. :)

redcaboose1717
July 3rd, 2017, 10:46 PM
Geeze Lou, do you think you could get your hubby to order a dishwasher for me LOL ???
My Dishwasher as been out of commission for 3 yrs.
No kidding aside, I need to just go buy one and have someone install it.

Lucky you Lou!!!

grammaterry
July 3rd, 2017, 11:01 PM
Unless the appliance store gives you a big discount for an appliance pkg I'd wait then they won't all die at the same time again

Grey Lady
July 3rd, 2017, 11:10 PM
It often takes time to get what you want at a good price. Waiting until an appliance gives out can be inconvenient and may take away to opportunity to take advantage of a sale.

I would plan to replace the range and micro at the same time and then the frig. Though some stores give a better price if you buy a suite of appliances.

CraftyBarb
July 3rd, 2017, 11:45 PM
I bought a new washer a few years ago..does not match the dryer but I did not care. I don't have a dishwasher, when I moved into my current home about 16 yrs ago I only used the dishwasher for storage. Got rid of it about a year later when I sold it to my neighbor. So we bought a small freezer that fits perfect in that space and it gets much more use then the dishwasher would have. I have always done dishes by hand and still do.

Cathy F
July 4th, 2017, 12:29 AM
When you say matched does that mean color wise or brand?

I replaced my appliances as they died. They are all the same color, but different brands. I bought the brands that had the features I liked best.

jjkaiser
July 4th, 2017, 12:33 AM
My fridge was going after numerous repairs so getting it wasn't an emergency, but soon. I hate shopping (except for fabric) and since I live six blocks from a Sears Outlet store I went there first so I didn't have to go to the mall. I scored big time! Not the first time but I kept going back. They have a wide variety of scratch and dents, some were very dented on the front, some had small scratches on the side or not visibly scratched at all. I got a huge French door Frigidaire Gallery stainless steel, orig $1900 marked down to$1000. There wasn't a scratch on it anywhere. The salesman said a lot of fridges they get is because the homeowner measures wrong and they don't fit because people have high up cabinets that they fail to figure in. So I would definitely start at a place like that if you aren't in a rush and want to save money. The savings can be significant. And it came with a complete warranty.

JCY
July 4th, 2017, 12:38 AM
I would replace only as needed. That's what we've done. We have a white K. range, almond D/W & frig. None are the same brand. The dryer I bought this May is a Crosley. They give a better warranty than on brands of appliances.

LauraP
July 4th, 2017, 12:56 AM
As the wife of an appliance repairman who has worked for all the major brands, let me pass along some thoughts on dents and dings. Yes, the appliances are fine and a good price. BUT, and this is a big but, make sure that it has a model and serial number. Some places will pull the labels and then it is next to impossible to get it fixed because you can't get any tech info on it or parts breakdowns. If it has a sign in the store saying what it is take a picture of it. Hope you enjoy your new toys for years to come. And don't call my husband because I finally convinced him to retire last month:)

bubba
July 4th, 2017, 03:27 AM
Our oven/microwave combo and gas cooktop are both Jennair. We lucked into a screaming deal that day we went into the Sears Surplus store (sells scratch and dent). Somebody had ordered the gas cooktop and combo set and once it was delivered, decided they did not like it, so had it taken back to the store. Store could no longer sell it as new, so sold them highly discounted. We happened to be there when they were brought in and bought both on the spot, for less than one normally sold for! It was when we were doing our huge remodel and they sat in the garage in boxes for three years, but that was okay. The dishwasher is Samsung and the fridge is LG. They are stainless, so as long as they match, I figured all is good. We also buy by brand and features, so I don't mind the brands not all being the same.

Iris Girl
July 4th, 2017, 05:22 AM
I would replace only as needed. But I am frugal. It doesn't matter to me if they are *matched*. My home came with Almond appliances they were replaced as needed some with Almond some with white. As far as a dishwasher it would be useless for me. We hand wash the dishes and always have.

KarenC
July 4th, 2017, 06:56 AM
I have always been a replace as needed person. I don't worry about whether they match.

Bubby
July 4th, 2017, 09:39 AM
We replace our appliances only as needed. We buy different brands but the same color (stainless). We currently have a Kitchenaid and I love it. I think it's about 6 years old and has never given us any trouble.

I will never have another over-the-range microwave. The door of the micro steams up when I boil water. It's too high for me. I'm surprised I haven't burned myself. If I dropped something removing it from the microwave the glass cooktop would likely shatter. It's something to think about. I like the look of it but not the function.

sew-what2015
July 4th, 2017, 10:28 AM
If I had the money, I would replace every appliance in matching color/brand every few years. That's just me.
Alas!... that will never happen unless I win a big lotto. I envy the appliances in those upscale new homes.
I don't care if the bed is new (mine is not) or the sheets are old and well-worn (mine are) or the living room furniture is many years old (mine was until last year) or the bathtub/toilet need replacing (mine does). I am satisfied to wait and may never replace some of it (unless it breaks down completely) and that's fine but I do like new and matching appliances. I am making do with mismatched brands and different ages for washer/dryer and stove/fridge/microwave. The washer will soon need to be replaced if we can find the $$$. They are all white but that is as far as it goes.

WendyI
July 4th, 2017, 01:09 PM
If I had the money and could afford it, I would replace them all so they can match....you can always sell the old ones if they are still in good working order.

Otherwise, I say keep them until you need to replace them as they go. (I know...not really much help eh?? LOL).

RockinLou
July 5th, 2017, 10:02 AM
We will do just the dishwasher this summer and the laundry, then the rest in another year... the dishwasher parts are literally deteriorating as we attempt to get the water out of the bottom of it.... it's gross.

We can do all of them, but it feels ridiculously indulgent for a home we are not in all the time.

toggpine
July 5th, 2017, 01:47 PM
The repair guy comes for the washing machine tomorrow.
The hot water heater went supernova on us yesterday. We were going to just replace the element, but after some advice from a co-worker, Eric is going to shop for a new one on the way home. It is about 20 years old, and if it has calcification like the rest of our water fixtures, it will be better to replace the entire thing.
Hopefully the washer will be a simple fix and not require a new one, since this one is only a few years old.

Thanks for the hint on the scratch & dent merchandise!

Good luck on your hunt for a new dishwasher!

SallyO'Sews
July 5th, 2017, 02:49 PM
The only down side about that is having them all die at the same time in a few years. About twenty years ago, our 'fridge, dishwasher, stove, and washer all died within two weeks of each other. The good news was that the appliance store gave us a great deal on five (including the dryer to go with the washer) new appliances, because they were all from one brand.

bubba
July 5th, 2017, 03:04 PM

It's in the same lot as Artco, tucked back behind the Goodwill.

Carolyn
July 5th, 2017, 04:33 PM
November is the best month to shop for appliances. I am guessing it has something to do with the holidays. Hopefully you will be able to wait until then. Our home had all new Stainless Steel appliances when we moved in. I HATE stainless steel, over the years we have replaced them all. Different brands, but after much research they were the ones I thought were best. Bosch dishwasher, LG refrigerators have the best track records and offer the best warranties. Keep track of the regular prices so you will know if something is really a sale.

Hulamoon
July 5th, 2017, 04:37 PM
November is the best month to shop for appliances. I am guessing it has something to do with the holidays. Hopefully you will be able to wait until then. Our home had all new Stainless Steel appliances when we moved in. I HATE stainless steel, over the years we have replaced them all. Different brands, but after much research they were the ones I thought were best. Bosch dishwasher, LG refrigerators have the best track records and offer the best warranties. Keep track of the regular prices so you will know if something is really a sale.

I like the look of it, but it's so dang hard to keep it clean!

I took a bottle of cleaner from work ( shhh) that is for commercial appliances. I'll go look what it is.

toggpine
July 5th, 2017, 04:57 PM
It's in the same lot as Artco, tucked back behind the Goodwill.

Oh, I KNOW where it is!
I meant the hint on making sure the make and model number are either on the item, or taking a photo of the tag before you purchase the item.

A piece of good news; I have cleaned out the closet with the hot water tank in it. Three pieces of inherited fabric are in the donate bin now.
Even better, the hot water tank may have shut itself down. There is a little diagnostic box on the top of the tank. It's flashing pattern indicated excessively high water temp. I reset the system and now will wait to see if a power surge tripped the thermostat to super hot. That might be a nice surprise.

Carolyn
July 5th, 2017, 05:10 PM
If you could just clean the dirty spot and not have to clean the whole dang thing it would have worked. Changed to black, besides stainless has no place in a log home. It just clashes.

redcaboose1717
July 5th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Laura,
I usually don't purchase Dented or Dinged appliances, although I will say that when we put an addition on our home ( this was our first home ) in 1991, I found a shower stall that had a scratch or two on the back of the stall ( you wouldn't ever see it because it would be against the wall....they knocked off a lot for that shower stall.....which was an awesome thing as I had no idea how much that small bathroom was going to end up costing up in the beginning! There was $395 in permits for that bath alone.....and yes, it still amazes me that the small bathroom cost about $2100.00.
We sold the house two years later. It was a small Cape Cod style home ( 2 bedrooms up 2, down ) with a bath, kitchen, laundry room, and living room. It was small with 4 kids ! So we added a dinning room small bath and a TV room.....and it still wasn't big enough. My DH Terry had seizures and he would often fall into furniture etc....and I really longed for a bigger living room just due to the fact I was tired of my poor hubby getting hurt so often. Believe it or not, when we moved it really helped.....I don't think he had stitches very often after we moved.....surely not as much as he did before the move.

I need a dishwasher. I don't know why but dishwashers only last me about 3-4 yrs....no matter if I purchase the top of the line or the cheapest dishwasher.
I am tempted to purchase a cheap dishwasher this next time. I really don't use all the cycles the more costly models have anyway!

THanks for the tip though !

Georgie Girl
July 5th, 2017, 07:16 PM
The repair guy comes for the washing machine tomorrow.
The hot water heater went supernova on us yesterday. We were going to just replace the element, but after some advice from a co-worker, Eric is going to shop for a new one on the way home. It is about 20 years old, and if it has calcification like the rest of our water fixtures, it will be better to replace the entire thing.
Hopefully the washer will be a simple fix and not require a new one, since this one is only a few years old.

he
Good luck on your hunt for a new dishwasher!

Replace the water heater. We waited way to long. We have well water and I could hear those rocks boiling on the bottom and kept telling my husband but he is " it's fine". Well when we finally had it replaced the bottom fell out.

Georgie Girl
July 5th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Laura,
I usually don't purchase Dented or Dinged appliances, although I will say that when we put an addition on our home ( this was our first home ) in 1991, I found a shower stall that had a scratch or two on the back of the stall ( you wouldn't ever see it because it would be against the wall....they knocked off a lot for that shower stall.....which was an awesome thing as I had no idea how much that small bathroom was going to end up costing up in the beginning! There was $395 in permits for that bath alone.....and yes, it still amazes me that the small bathroom cost about $2100.00.
We sold the house two years later. It was a small Cape Cod style home ( 2 bedrooms up 2, down ) with a bath, kitchen, laundry room, and living room. It was small with 4 kids ! So we added a dinning room small bath and a TV room.....and it still wasn't big enough. My DH Terry had seizures and he would often fall into furniture etc....and I really longed for a bigger living room just due to the fact I was tired of my poor hubby getting hurt so often. Believe it or not, when we moved it really helped.....I don't think he had stitches very often after we moved.....surely not as much as he did before the move.

I need a dishwasher. I don't know why but dishwashers only last me about 3-4 yrs....no matter if I purchase the top of the line or the cheapest dishwasher.
I am tempted to purchase a cheap dishwasher this next time. I really don't use all the cycles the more costly models have anyway!

THanks for the tip though !

I've had good luck with Kitchen Aid dishwasher with my hard well water. Boesh is more expensive and smaller inside, I hated my Kitchen Aid range it was a disaster. I love my GE range. I bought white washer and dryer and painted my walls yellow for color. We need a new frig but holy moley are they expensive. I'm more of a less bells and whistles less to go wrong. I guess we buy what we can afford.

toggpine
July 6th, 2017, 02:43 PM
We settled on replacing the lower element on the hot water heater. After I reset the diagnostic box it came up that th bottom element was the problem. $20 element versus $400 for a new heater. The gal on the help line was able to tell me the tank was only 13 years old. She said they were to recommend a new heater if it was past warranty (9 years), but that for between $15-$20 it might not be a bad thing to try to fix this one first.
Now to see if the repair guy can fix the washer for less than it will cost to buy a new one!

toggpine
July 6th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Apparently my six year old washer has a main panel malfunction. The cost to replace it will be just short of $500. I can buy a new one for $300. This time I think I will go back to an old school washer instead of the HE kind. Ugh.

Kind of glad we didn't buy a new hot water heater yesterday.

bubba
July 6th, 2017, 06:01 PM
We had to buy a new washer in the past six months. Got a Samsung (not one of the recalled ones!) front loader. Three different salesmen at three different stores all told me they had one and would buy it again, so it was good enough for me!