PDA

View Full Version : Something wierd about Mc and Cheese :( in Europe

Klasien
July 3rd, 2017, 12:55 PM
After years and years I found a store very close by my house that sold Mc & Cheese!!! Ladies that are on here longer and know my love for that meal, understand how happy that made me.
So today I went to the store to pick up some more..............HELP there was a sign where the good stuff should be.
It said.....there is a ingredient in mc and cheese that is against the law in Europe......so it is not allowed to sell it anymore......same for a Betty Coocker (???) cake mix for carrot cake, also empty and the same sign.

Can you believe how sad that made me???
Wierd thing that something that good and that normal on the other side of the ocean is against the law over here, not only in the Netherlands but whole Europe.!!

Okay back to coocking diner and off my soapbox :(

Mimi_Howard
July 3rd, 2017, 01:01 PM
How sad indeed. I love mac n cheese and not having a choice to buy vs make... well that is cruel and unusual punishment indeed! There are times when I just don't feel like making it and so many good ones out there already made in the stores just start calling my name.

K. McEuen
July 3rd, 2017, 01:05 PM
Wow, I wonder what ingredient it is. Makes me wonder why we can eat it and you all can't!

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2017, 01:08 PM
My kids loved that stuff. I buy the little individual bowls sometimes when I have a craving. There is one way to get what you want....cheese powder.
https://www.google.com/#q=cheese+powder+for+mac+and+cheese&spf=1499097793345

I looked into it awhile back for my dd and I to share.

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2017, 01:09 PM
Wow, I wonder what ingredient it is. Makes me wonder why we can eat it and you all can't!

It's the yellow food coloring.

shirleyknot
July 3rd, 2017, 01:31 PM
Not to mention the ton of additives that have no business in food. I can't believe people actually eat that stuff!

Klasien
July 3rd, 2017, 01:31 PM
No it is not the yellow food coloring, it is the bleached oatmeal that is in there, they doubt the way the whole proces it made, also Pop Tarts carrot cake, brownie mix from that same brand, Betty Coocker (something like that)

It's sad :(

Klasien
July 3rd, 2017, 01:32 PM

Bleached oatmeal

Hopehannah
July 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
Are you referring to bleached flour? I just did some research and that has been banned in the EU depending on what is used in the process. A bit too "government as nanny" for me. Let the free market decide. BTW -- It's "Betty Crocker."

Klasien
July 3rd, 2017, 02:15 PM
Are you referring to bleached flour? I just did some research and that has been banned in the EU depending on what is used in the process. A bit too "government as nanny" for me. Let the free market decide. BTW -- It's "Betty Crocker."
Yes that is what I mean, the flour.

Thanks for correcting me on the brand name of the cake mix :).

bubba
July 3rd, 2017, 02:17 PM
Macaroni and cheese does not cross my lips, ever.

JCY
July 3rd, 2017, 02:26 PM
When the kids were growing up, & DH still could eat it, we ate a lot of mac & cheese. I used to buy the boxes 4/$1.00. You can make your own macaroni & cheese from scratch & still enjoy a tasty meal. I've made it many times from scratch. It won't have those additives & ingred. you shouldn't have.

Klasien
July 3rd, 2017, 02:57 PM
The sign said: " If you still have a box at home, do not eat it but return to the store"

I can not believe this!!!

shirleyknot
July 3rd, 2017, 02:58 PM
I love home made mac and cheese, with real cheddar cheese. The stuff in the box doesn't even taste like cheese, just flavored salt.

Klasien
July 3rd, 2017, 03:01 PM
I love home made mac and cheese, with real cheddar cheese. The stuff in the box doesn't even taste like cheese, just flavored salt.

Fun fact: cheddar cheese like the one in the usa.......... We don't have overhere, so this was my only chance to eat good old mc n chees here. All in all, my mc n cheese days are over till I hit USA ground again!!

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2017, 03:04 PM
Did you look at the link I posted about the powder? They are from American Dairys.

redcaboose1717
July 3rd, 2017, 03:50 PM
Sorry Lorie, but I don't eat powdered cheese......
I have made Mac n Cheese from scratch for years.....My Grandma used to make it, but never put eggs in the mix and the cheese didn't stick to the macaroni if you don't do that...but maybe Grandma didn't know that...who knows ?
My mom was an excellent cook....whereas my maternal Grandma was not a good cook.....she always burned everything ! Grandma was a great baker though....she made the best homemade chocolate pie.....hmmmmm I have that recipe and make in honor of Grandma every Christmas holiday!
I never allowed my kids to eat the boxed Mac n Cheese with the powdered cheese. I also never have purchased store bought noodles either.....I make my own homemade noodles for everything I use noodles for ( spaghetti as well ) .It takes time, but it's worth it.

Homemade Noodle Recipe
( BTW....this is the same recipe I use to make Spaghetti Noodles
4-5 Large Eggs
White Flour ( I never measure anything ) 1 1/2 cups.......1/2 cup for floured board or counter top.
( You can use 1/2 White Floor & 1/2 Whole Wheat Flour if you want )
Pinch of salt
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
Pizza Cutter
Bowl 1-large 1-small
Cookie Sheet
Freezer Paper ( you can use wax paper between the noodles as well )
Spatula or Lg Fork

In Small Bowl, mix Baking Powder ( not baking soda ) & salt.
IN large Bowl, crack eggs.....wisk until well mixed. Add mixed Baking Powder & Salt to wisked eggs.....stir well.
Add flour in small amounts.....make the mixture into a paste.....Add a little more flour stir well

In a Medium Sauce pan : Add water, bring it to boil

On a floured board or counter:
Take a handful of egg mixture and place it on the floured board. Add a little flour and knead well.....
With a floured rolling pin.....roll out until about 1/2 inch thick. Form into a roll or square
Using Pizza cutter cut the "noodle mix " into 1/2 to 3/4 inch strips ( if the dough is quite long cut horizontally & vertically )

Drop Noodles in boiling water. When the noodles rise to the top of the water, using a slotted spoon, remove from water and place in a colander ( place the colander on a big bowl or large sauce pan to catch access water from the noodles )

After Noodles are cooked, add to soups casseroles etc.

You can also freeze these noodles. I put them on a cookie sheet lined with freezer paper.....stack 3-4 papers high. Cover with Saran Wrap and Freeze. Take out noodles when needed from freezer.
You don't have to leave the noodles in the freezer on a cookie sheet.....if you wrap the noodles in Freezer Paper.

This is my mom's Noodle Recipe.....It's very good !

Any questions....please PM me and ask!!

RiverMomm
July 3rd, 2017, 04:15 PM
There has been talk in Canada about banning the yellow dye but I don't know if it has actually been banned (yet). I have noticed that a lot of the Kraft Mac/Cheese here is going to white cheese. I did a little web searching and a lot of sources say that in some countries in Europe are banning Mac and Cheese, yellow cake and other boxed baked goods because of the dye. (and well, we all know that if it's on the web, it's gotta be "true" LOL). The article also refers to bread with potassium bromate which makes some breads soft.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2013/10/23/foods-americans-eat-that-are-banned-around-world.html

My oldest son was sensitive to two of the red dyes used in a lot of products and several doctors said he would outgrow it (he did). But, it really made me a label reader. Now, my doctor has put me on a gluten free diet so back to reading labels. I have found this diet extremely hard to follow. Apparently, all my favorite foods have gluten. Maybe I should just stick to chocolate.

Deegles
July 3rd, 2017, 04:26 PM
Msg?????????🙁

shirleyknot
July 3rd, 2017, 04:30 PM
Did you look at the link I posted about the powder? They are from American Dairys.

Your link goes to a google page, which of that lot makes your point, since I didn't see anything useful.

shirleyknot
July 3rd, 2017, 04:34 PM
Ingredients include modified food starch, silicone dioxide, corn starch, soybean oil, and even salt comes before the actual cheese listing. And this is just the cheese powder, and only a partial listing.

shirleyknot
July 3rd, 2017, 04:37 PM
Fun fact: cheddar cheese like the one in the usa.......... We don't have overhere, so this was my only chance to eat good old mc n chees here. All in all, my mc n cheese days are over till I hit USA ground again!!

I could not live in a country that did not have cheddar cheese.

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2017, 05:54 PM
Ingredients include modified food starch, silicone dioxide, corn starch, soybean oil, and even salt comes before the actual cheese listing. And this is just the cheese powder, and only a partial listing.
Which one were you looking at?
https://www.americanspice.com/cheddar-cheese-powder/?AdID=21990cm00cm05228&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ufKBRDYrqLzrY3dy88BEiQAPI_r4We2TkG2 XdDNDmkrn4uConUGzP7huqTVv982mfrtucgaAu7k8P8HAQ

Hopehannah
July 3rd, 2017, 06:34 PM
Whenever the food police or the exercise police start yapping, I always think of one name -- Jim Fixx.

(Sorry Klaisen about the Betty Crocker thing. I wasn't being a snot. I just figured spellcheck kept changing it on you and maybe you weren't familiar with old Betty. She's been around here in the US since 1921!)

shirleyknot
July 3rd, 2017, 07:21 PM
Which one were you looking at?
https://www.americanspice.com/cheddar-cheese-powder/?AdID=21990cm00cm05228&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ufKBRDYrqLzrY3dy88BEiQAPI_r4We2TkG2 XdDNDmkrn4uConUGzP7huqTVv982mfrtucgaAu7k8P8HAQ

From the actual box of mac n cheese. Neighbor eats it.

pcbatiks
July 3rd, 2017, 07:26 PM
Must be the powdered orange "stuff" they call cheese! :D

Guess you will have to stock up next time you come to visit the U.S.

Sorry they took your favorite meal away.

Carlie Wolf
July 3rd, 2017, 07:49 PM
Wonder if it has a GMO product in it. That is banned in Europe I understand. Wish they'd ban the GMO's in the States too. Horrible, horrible stuff.

CraftyBarb
July 3rd, 2017, 08:21 PM
I love mac & cheese though I seldom eat it. I do keep the boxed ones on hand..maybe once every few months or so I will make some. Try to stay away from the pasta as much as I can.

RockinLou
July 3rd, 2017, 10:27 PM

I'll be in the Netherlands next month 😉
We bring a jar of the cheese powder from Amazon with us every year to KAZ, but we use less and less of it every year we are gone... but it is a nice comfort food from time to time.

There are so many additives and junk in food in America that are not really food, I'm not surprised it isn't allowed, however, there are MANY healthy alternatives to the orange cheese powder, maybe you could ask the shop to stock one of those.

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2017, 10:33 PM
The powder I just posted looks pretty good. Salt isn't high on the list. I might order that one for my dd and I to share.

Midge
July 4th, 2017, 03:22 PM
After years and years I found a store very close by my house that sold Mc & Cheese!!! Ladies that are on here longer and know my love for that meal, understand how happy that made me.
So today I went to the store to pick up some more..............HELP there was a sign where the good stuff should be.
It said.....there is a ingredient in mc and cheese that is against the law in Europe......so it is not allowed to sell it anymore......same for a Betty Coocker (???) cake mix for carrot cake, also empty and the same sign.

Can you believe how sad that made me???
Wierd thing that something that good and that normal on the other side of the ocean is against the law over here, not only in the Netherlands but whole Europe.!!

Okay back to coocking diner and off my soapbox :(

I guess I think it is sad and disgusting, not weird. Food regulations in the US are in the pockets of industry, not acting in the best interest of the public. The EU is leading the way in this, as in other manufacturing issues. Maybe it's time to call your fave what it really is - chemicals with faux elbow macaroni. It's not real food, as are many many items in those middle aisles of the grocery stores in the US. There are other brands you can try, and maybe your stores carry them. One that is widely available here is Annie's brand mac and cheese. Delish. Here is an ingredient list for the box of Annie's Organic 5 grain elbows and white cheddar.

1)Organic 5 grain elbow macaroni (organic durum wheat, organic wheat, organic amaranth, organic quinoa, organic kamut, organic spelt)
2)Organic Valley brand organic cheddar cheese (organic cultured pasteurized milk, salt, non-animal enzymes)
3)Pasturized milk
4)organic whey
5)salt
6)sodium phosphate

That's just one of their products; lots of others with ingredients lists you can read and understand. Nothing beats made from scratch mac and cheese, but Annie's is a decent substitute, especially for days when time is short and I'm hungry. Edit - don't mean to sound critical of you. I had to wean myself off the bad stuff, too when I gained a lot of weight due to medication side effects and my blood sugar was heading to the stratosphere. My weight is finally down to a good level, though not my ultimate goal where I was for many years. And my blood sugar and blood pressure are excellent now. but I have had to plead with, threaten and cajole, then finally bribe my son to stop with the Kraft Mac n Cheese (he is vegetarian and knows better! also conditioned to love it from childhood). It's a journey for sure.

Learner quilter
July 4th, 2017, 06:12 PM
I am a school cook, who puts porridge into macaroni cheese.

shirleyknot
July 4th, 2017, 07:20 PM
I am a school cook, who puts porridge into macaroni cheese.

Umm............what?

Vonnie
July 4th, 2017, 08:05 PM
Umm............what?

I'm pretty sure she's referring to oatmeal which the original poster mistakenly said oatmeal instead of bleached flour.

Hulamoon
July 4th, 2017, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty sure she's referring to oatmeal which the original poster mistakenly said oatmeal instead of bleached flour.

I was thinking that too. Porridge can be made from any grain though. My MIL was Chinese and she made it from rice. It's called Jook or Congee. Chicken and green onions are usually added. Good for a hangover. lol

Vonnie
July 4th, 2017, 08:38 PM
I was thinking that too. Porridge can be made from any grain though. My MIL was Chinese and she made it from rice. It's called Jook or Congee. Chicken and green onions are usually added. Good for a hangover. lol

Don't get me started on hangover cures! My father used to down raw eggs! That was so gross!

shirleyknot
July 4th, 2017, 08:42 PM
I preferred my eggs poached in milk and on toast, BEFORE going to bed.

Hopehannah
July 4th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Well that explains a lot.

shirleyknot
July 4th, 2017, 08:55 PM
What does? Several subjects rolling here.....

Hulamoon
July 4th, 2017, 10:45 PM
I preferred my eggs poached in milk and on toast, BEFORE going to bed.

It took me a few minutes to get that. lol

shirleyknot
July 4th, 2017, 10:49 PM
It be ok Lorie. :D

Jean Sewing Machine
July 4th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Wonder if it has a GMO product in it. That is banned in Europe I understand. Wish they'd ban the GMO's in the States too. Horrible, horrible stuff.
That's what I thought it meant get be. The wheat flour to make the mac part may be GMO .

Hulamoon
July 5th, 2017, 12:04 AM
I'm thinking it's the bleaching agent.

jjkaiser
July 5th, 2017, 12:15 AM
Redcaboose! I have never made or eaten home made noodles! I don't know anyone who makes their own and it sounds like an awful lot of work. I ate so much mac and cheese as a kid I have not wanted to eat it for at least 20 years.

Hulamoon
July 5th, 2017, 12:30 AM
I bought a really nice pasta roller one time. You know what it ended up being used for....rolling Fimo clay. Anything for the kids. lol

jjkaiser
July 5th, 2017, 12:42 AM
I bought a really nice pasta roller one time. You know what it ended up being used for....rolling Fimo clay. Anything for the kids. lol

Well at least it got used lol!!

Klasien
July 5th, 2017, 05:35 AM
I'm thinking it's the bleaching agent.

Yep, that's it. Not the yellow powder but the bleached stuff.

Klasien
July 5th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Whenever the food police or the exercise police start yapping, I always think of one name -- Jim Fixx.

(Sorry Klaisen about the Betty Crocker thing. I wasn't being a snot. I just figured spellcheck kept changing it on you and maybe you weren't familiar with old Betty. She's been around here in the US since 1921!)

No need for sorry, am always really glad when people teach me spelling and new things. My English will benefit from it :)

shirleyknot
July 5th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Redcaboose! I have never made or eaten home made noodles! I don't know anyone who makes their own and it sounds like an awful lot of work. I ate so much mac and cheese as a kid I have not wanted to eat it for at least 20 years.

I always made home made noodles.. Finally got a pasta machine a few years ago. The taste of fresh pasta is so much better.

Georgie Girl
July 5th, 2017, 09:30 AM
I always made home made noodles.. Finally got a pasta machine a few years ago. The taste of fresh pasta is so much better.

Homemade noodles right up there with homemade bread, biscuits, soup, sauces, banana cream pie, lemon meringue pie. I could go on forever. :lol:

shirleyknot
July 5th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Yes, yes, and YES! Those who live on pre-packaged food have no idea! I feel sorry for them. :(

jjkaiser
July 5th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Yes I hardly use pre-packaged food at all. Just pizza crust mix and Grill Mates zesty herb marinade for cooking out, and store bought bread or buns when I need them. I make my own pie crust, pizza, cookies, even buttermilk pancakes are home made. Oh and store bought pasta.

Mom23
July 14th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Saw this on FoxNews today and thought of you, Klasien. Maybe it's a good thing they don't sell it?

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/07/14/chemical-in-macaroni-and-cheese-tied-to-birth-defects-says-study.html

Midge
July 14th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Saw this on FoxNews today and thought of you, Klasien. Maybe it's a good thing they don't sell it?

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/07/14/chemical-in-macaroni-and-cheese-tied-to-birth-defects-says-study.html

Mom23 you are correct. Pthalates are "endocrine disruptors" and the danger of these chemicals has been known for decades. Yes. Decades. Many many years ago when i was a chemist in industry I was doing assays for the amount of pthalates that leached out of plastic bottles that food is sold in - examples would be cooking oils, vinegar, catsup, salad dressing, etc. Let's just say that industry pulled one over on the consumer and I left that job because my conscience couldn't take it. I always buy glass bottles, not plastic. Pthalates in our childrens' bodies are part of the reason that puberty is starting in 7 and 8 year olds, as well as the genital birth defect issue.

Cathy F
July 15th, 2017, 09:31 AM
I just read an article about how they harvest the wheat that goes into some of these products. It stated that the field crops are sprayed with Roundup weed killer approximately a week before harvesting. It somehow dries the wheat out making it easier for farmers to harvest. The article went on to say that more people are thinking they are gluten intolerant when actually they are reacting to the pesticide used in the harvesting procedure. They said they saw the increase in gluten intolerance correlated with the start of the crops being sprayed with the Roundup. The article also mentioned the Netherlands banning some products because of this with France also considering this. I believe the article said 97% of wheat is harvested in this way. Glyposate(sp?) is the main ingredient in Roundup and the crops are drenched in this. Google it to read more.
Something to think about.

shirleyknot
July 15th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Just because its on the "net doesn't make it true. Read a little farther.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/roundupwheat.asp

Yes, I grew up farming.

Carlie Wolf
July 15th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Shirley, I purchased a manual pasta machine a few years ago but haven't used it yet. I don't know what I'm afraid of!! If I made enough for say one serving or so just to try it how long does the process take after you've assembled the dough to use in the machine? Maybe I'm thinking I'll wind up spending hours and just a huge mess if I try it? Did you find it particularly annoying when you first tried your own pasta?

shirleyknot
July 15th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I made home made noodles by hand the hard way for years. I found the machine to be a big help. How long it takes depends on the machine you have, and how thin you want the pasta, and which type of pasta. Mine is a hand crank, and I can roll out old fashioned egg noodles in about 10 minutes. As to the mess, only if the dough is too sticky. More flour.

Cathy F
July 15th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Just because its on the "net doesn't make it true. Read a little farther.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/roundupwheat.asp

Yes, I grew up farming.

Thanks for posting that article Shirley. Encouraging, and I hope the crops continue to be pesticide free.

Carlie Wolf
July 15th, 2017, 10:57 AM
That doesn't sound too bad. Do you mind sharing the dough recipe you use? I'd like to try that :-)

shirleyknot
July 15th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I just use 1 cup flour, one large egg and a bit of water if needed, no more than a tablespoon. Some eggs are "moister" than others. Pinch of salt if desired. You want a really stiff dough for the machine, and knead it well so its not lumpy.

Carlie Wolf
July 15th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks Shirley, I'll give that a try :-)

Lenie
July 19th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Klasien, I make my own Mac and Cheese. No problem finding cheddar at Albert Heijn. https://www.ah.nl/zoeken?rq=cheddar&searchType=global