PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Smartphone Zombie Children

JCY
June 24th, 2017, 11:45 AM
This editorial from The Dallas Morning News was in our newspaper yest. under "Views from the Nation's Press". I think it's worth sharing:

"A Denver man says smartphones turned his two youngest son into zombies. So he turned himself into a crusader.

"Timothy Farnum, an anesthesiologist, wants Colorado to be the first state to ban smartphone sales to children younger than 13, and he already has plenty of parents on board. The behavior of his boys, ages 10 and 11, underwent striking changes when they got phones.

"They became withdrawn, distracted, disinterested in playing outdoors. When he tried to take the phones away, Farnum told CNN, one of his previously easy-going sons showed symptoms that looked alarmingly like drug withdrawal: 'He was very addicted to this little machine. It kind of scared me.'

"Parents face an everyday challenge in trying to sort out the rapid-fire changes mobile technology is making in American life. How much is too much? Does early mastery of technology give kids a competitive edge later on? If electronic content is labeled 'educational', does it help or hinder?

"All valid questions, all slowly being sorted out by pediatric experts. Their short answer is: Media is inescapable for children growing up today, and it's up to parents to be careful and vigilant regulators.

"Farnum's initiative which would require retailers to ask pointed questions of shoppers about who will use new phones and maintain exhaustive records, is a long shot, and he admits as much. He hopes, he says, to at least get parents to examine current scientific studies on the effects of screen time on young children and teens to better enable them to set guidelines for their own families."

Although my kids are grown, I have concerns about my grandchildren & other young children whose brains still are developing. Years ago, I was involved in a neighborhood power line issue & did a lot of research of the scientific studies about EMF (Electromagnetic Fields). EMF is radiated from all electrical power sources as well as from cell phones. I met a lady once who'd had brain cancer. The tumor was on the side of her head where she held up her cell phone. It's impossible to shield all the EMF from cell phones, so I recommend limited use. I plan to keep my land line. My cell gets used only occas. for brief moments.

Cokie
June 24th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I so agree with this! I think even my DH is addicted to his phone! I have a cell that I carry when I'm away from home, but I'm not tied to it like so many people seem to be these days. I go to meetings at work, and people are on their cellphones, texting away. So some adults are setting poor examples as well. My son's children (step-children) have cell phones and have had for several years - their mom's mom bought them so they can "call her whenever they want to." My son took the phones away because they were always on the phones, texting, facebook, etc. and wouldn't abide by the limits they set for them - i.e., no cell phones while homework is being done, etc. His MIL had a fit - "What if they want to call me?" My son said, "We have a house phone - they can use that." I still have a landline and have no plans to get rid of it.

UGH - better get off my soapbox before I offend someone (and if I have, please accept my apologies). Like all things, technology has to be used properly.

Star lover
June 24th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Wow, so true today I see very small children (I'm old, so I may be off in judging age, but they look about 7 to me....I have grandkids, so not too dumb) walking and texting....or whatever they do on them. I don't have one, so not sure. But I've been driving and they step right out in front of you as of they have no clue....guess they don't. Scary! What are the parents thinking?

Carlie Wolf
June 24th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Interesting article JCY. I've read about EMF over the years and it's one of the reasons I'm not a cell phone fan (among other things). I'll spare you my soap box..it can get painful :-)

I did notice about a year ago one thing and I'm not sure what it means but I found it baffling. I live along a route that kids walk to school in the morning. Carlie who was raised up in Canada in the real boon docks is very conscious of people walking by the house since I moved here. We also have quite a few people who go on daily walks of a mile + and walk by the house. Carlie always sounds the alarm whether it be one bark or a few...they don't get by the house unnoticed. I began to notice that this isn't always the case. The kids walk by every morning between 7 and 7:30AM and I'm usually outside with Carlie for her morning "constitution". I realized that she doesn't bark at them, not at all. They go by and it's almost like they don't exist. Same when they come home from school. I thought to myself "Why" and "what's different". I realized over a few days that they all have their cell phones out, looking down, typing and whatever, even if they are in groups. Unlike the mileage walkers who are somewhat engaged with their environment while walking, they are totally disengaged with the outside world. It's almost like their whole energy essence is sucked into that box and doesn't escape outward. It's like even Carlie doesn't recognize them as part of the environment.

pcbatiks
June 24th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Interesting article JCY. I've read about EMF over the years and it's one of the reasons I'm not a cell phone fan (among other things). I'll spare you my soap box..it can get painful :-)

I did notice about a year ago one thing and I'm not sure what it means but I found it baffling. I live along a route that kids walk to school in the morning. Carlie who was raised up in Canada in the real boon docks is very conscious of people walking by the house since I moved here. We also have quite a few people who go on daily walks of a mile + and walk by the house. Carlie always sounds the alarm whether it be one bark or a few...they don't get by the house unnoticed. I began to notice that this isn't always the case. The kids walk by every morning between 7 and 7:30AM and I'm usually outside with Carlie for her morning "constitution". I realized that she doesn't bark at them, not at all. They go by and it's almost like they don't exist. Same when they come home from school. I thought to myself "Why" and "what's different". I realized over a few days that they all have their cell phones out, looking down, typing and whatever, even if they are in groups. Unlike the mileage walkers who are somewhat engaged with their environment while walking, they are totally disengaged with the outside world. It's almost like their whole energy essence is sucked into that box and doesn't escape outward. It's like even Carlie doesn't recognize them as part of the environment.

That's interesting. Makes you wonder if Carlie is right.

DH & I went to Houston in the spring to see a ball game. We saw a sad & pathetic sight.....in my opinion. While we were in the hotel lobby we saw a father, mother & 4 children....ages probably ranging from 8 to 4 years old sitting on a couch in the lobby. Every SINGLE one of them was staring at & scrolling through their own phone. It was just pitiful & aggravating.......put down your phones and engage with your family and friends. Life is too short.

Okay.......like Cokie said.......I too will climb down off my soapbox before I can't stop about the annoying overuse of cell phones.

Joy, will still have a land line also. :D

shirleyknot
June 24th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Parents these days often don't "parent" enough to keep the youngsters off drugs. Do you really expect them to keep kids off cellphones, which work wonders for keeping kids out of the parent's hair.

redcaboose1717
June 24th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I have a cell phone....but it is ONLY used when I am in the car by myself....I do not use it otherwise......I have been that way for years.
I Have a friend who is absolutely RUDE with her phone....you go out to dinner with her....and she answers the darn thing during a conversation....and then says " What were we talking about ? " ......It's disgusting. I have also started to part ways with her...especially when I have called her in the past and she has IGNORED my calls.....

Remember years ago, when we got cell phones for "emergencies only " ? I do...and I still use my Cell Phone that way. I think it's ridiculous how people are with their cell phones !
Remember a couple of weeks ago, on a major channel ( on TV ) that there was a woman so engrossed with her cell phone that she fell into a opening on a sidewalk ? WOW....I yelled when I seen that on TV.....I think it was on the INSIDE EDITION show ( shown here at 5:30 pm.....)

No....Kids pay no attention to things other than their stupid phones nowadays. When my grandkids visit the phones ( their cell phones ) are turned off....I get some "nasty" looks sometimes....but there have been a lot of times when the grandkids leave that I get a big hug and they said " WOW Grandma.....I had a great time with you today.....it was fun doing ....( whatever we did ). !!!

Maybe I am wrong to take their phones away....but they don't seem to mind that much ( maybe it's because they know they'll get them back soon ? )

I have noticed my cat Mason running to the computer chair when the landline phone rings .....In fact just prior to my getting on the PC here, the phone rang, and he jumped in the chair.....and patted the phone....and looked at me as if to say " Well, are you gonna answer it ? "
I didn't answer it because it was a unavailable number....and if I don't recognize the phone number I don't answer the phone due to so many FRAUDULENT CALLS ......most all the calls I get I look up and they are FRAUDULENT.....and I block them from calling again.
I think that's weird.....but it happens.

So, does anyone have a cat that answers the phone ? MASON sure WOULD LIKE to !!! Should I let him ?
LOL....

redcaboose1717
June 24th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Here's that video I was talking about that was on INSIDE EDITION ......with the lady not paying attention while walking and being on her Cell Phone !
https://youtu.be/bn6xZKSLHoA

It's amazing how many people get hurt and end up in the ER over not paying attention while on their cell phones !

How many of you seen this on TV.....on INSDIDE EDITION ?

kaydee
June 24th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Here's that video I was talking about that was on INSIDE EDITION ......with the lady not paying attention while walking and being on her Cell Phone !
https://youtu.be/bn6xZKSLHoA

It's amazing how many people get hurt and end up in the ER over not paying attention while on their cell phones !

How many of you seen this on TV.....on INSDIDE EDITION ?

Actually, if you research that a little more, you'll discover that the woman is actually legally blind and she "she has trouble seeing blended colours and couldn’t tell the difference between the grey open hatch and the concrete footpath." Also, she is diabetic and was feeling nauseous. "This was more than just a simple case of his mother being careless and looking at her phone — she was actually checking her blood sugar. She regularly takes on schedule her meals and checks her sugar,” according to her son.

Cool Breeze Quilter
June 24th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of cell phones either. I have one and it stays off until I check messages and then is turned off again. I'm just not a phone person.

One day I walked by an acquaintance and she was using her phone while pushing her young daughter in a shopping cart coming out of Walmart. She never looked up. Her daughter (about 4) was talking to her and she didn't even notice because she was so engrossed in her phone. I'm not judging her, Lord knows I'm not perfect. I know she loves her daughter. I just feel she is missing out on an important time in her baby's life and can't get the time back again.

I've mentioned Hands Free Mama before. She has a gift for writing. She has gone hands free and her family and her have benefited from it. Here is a link to her explaining being hands free. https://www.handsfreemama.com/about-hands-free/

jjkaiser
June 24th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I am glad you started this thread. I worry about my gk although at ages 4-6 they don't have phones yet but they already have tablets! My kids are grown and 25-30 but when they were in high school I remember the aggravation of policing their computer time, this was when they had chat rooms and you were charged on your phone bill for internet time by the minute, kind of like the old long distance thing. I would not let my kids have video games, I didn't want the constant battle plus I thought they were a terrible waste of time (still do). A few years ago my SIL was driving her then 14 yo daughter and a friend to a water park for a birthday party 2 hours away. The girls sat in the backseat on their phones texting each other when they were sitting right next to each other! I thought that was insane. A Smartphone is today's babysitter but I agree it can easily get out of hand and they are addictive. I am just glad my kids are grown. I will not have a problem demanding phones of when gk come over when they get old enough to have them.

Stitches23
June 24th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Banning 13 y.o. from buying smart phones isn't the solution. It's the parents who buy the phones and pay the bills on them. I mean what 13 year old has a job and can afford a smart phone except his/her parents enable him/her too.

Next time you eat out, look at who's sitting at the tables around you. Most are on their smart phones the entire time and not even talking to the one the met for/came to dinner with and I've seen teenagers text each other at youth meeting while sitting in the same room! We are raising a generation that doesn't know how to speak to each other.

Carolnnc
June 24th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Movies, tv, computers, phones. Parents have been entertaining kids with electronics since my grown sons were small. I do believe it's getting worse though. Parents come into the library and get ten videos to entertain the kids starting when they could barely walk up thru age 12. They would be back two days later for ten more videos. There are less parents who come in and got lots of books for their children and most of them are homeschoolers. As years went by we noticed the kids we hired to put books on the shelves had very little social skills due to little interaction in the home. We constantly found them hiding in corners talking or playing games in their cell phones! We eventually had to insist they put the phone in a locker during their shift. DH says they see the same thing with the 17-30 year old employees where he works.

Kgrammiecaz
June 24th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I dont think banning phones from kids is the answer. More education to the parents who need to police the phone usage. We have these issues with my granddaughter. We do make her put the phone down and talk to us. And we do take the phone away if she gets crazy with it. We need to parent correctly. Be bold. Oh and set a good example ourselves. Use our phone responsibly. When we go out to eat I leave my phone in my person on silent. I want to speak to who I am with. So, thats my soapbox.

I say thanks for this post as well. I like to hear what others think on the subject.

K. McEuen
June 24th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Blaming a young kid, 10 or 13, isn't right. There is a good chance they didn't actually buy the phone or pay the bill. My daughter didn't get a cell phone until she had a job and was able to pay for it herself. Parents and grandparents need to set guidelines and lead by example. I see just as many people my age or older just as self-absorbed in their devices as the younger kids.

Patsquilting
June 24th, 2017, 09:25 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who uses their cell phone (a tracfone and purchase minutes when they are needed) while traveling or emergencies. Yes, I still have my land-line. I will not get rid of it either. When Connecticut had a hurricane and some areas lost power for a couple of weeks - the cell tower battery backups only lasted so long. So when the batteries died, there was no cell service - BUT if you had a landline - you were good to go. I want to know how people can afford all the phones in one family. I see people who I know are low-income and each member of the family have a phone. YUP - boggles my mind.

redcaboose1717
June 24th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Sorry.....I didn't mean to offend anyone......

It was on the news ( Inside Edition ) and I don't watch much news at all....if I see something I normally don't follow up. I don't even read the newspaper any more, and years ago, I used to help my parents deliver a motor route and they delivered 425 daily papers.

redcaboose1717
June 24th, 2017, 10:22 PM
Karen.....I was surprised that a kid can actually purchase a cell phone at 10-12 yrs old....at least here in Michigan.
There was a young man that committed suicide in March here in Michigan due to the fact that his 12-13 yr old girl friend pranked him and texted him saying she committed suicide.....
The mom of this boy was on Dr. Phil and she said that he had purchased the phone himself and that he had HID it from her for awhile, and then she decided to let him use it.

I was really shocked to learn that a young kid can purchase a phone that young.....now mind you, I don't have ALL the particulars about the story, IT was only what the MOM said on the Dr. Phil show.....so who knows if this is fact ?

JCY
June 24th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Wow, I'm glad to see all the discussion my thread generated. Well, ya know...back in the day...people complained that TV was wrecking families, whose eyes were glued to the boob tube & weren't talking to each other. And I do think it had an impact on family life. But my goodness, not like today with all the electronics. Our home is just 2 houses from a green belt along the creek where people walk every day. So many of them are glued to their electronics & not even enjoying the environment around them. One woman who used to walk regularly had a blue tooth in her ear & she'd be talking away to whomever the whole time she walked. I've seen kids on skate boards & bikes looking at their cell phones. If you observe other drivers, many of them on are their phones. I think statistics show that if someone is distracted on their phone, esp. if texting, while driving, it's just as bad as if they were drunk. It really increases the risk of an accident. We had one incident in our state where a woman ran into a bicyclist and killed him; she'd been texting. I agree, it's up to the parents & gr. parents to be responsible & set an example. Even though my son is 50 y.o., when he comes to visit, my DH insists no cell phone at the kitchen table. He has to keep it in the BR.

Well, it's been interesting to read all the comments.

Heather
June 26th, 2017, 05:02 PM
I used to live in the boonies, and there was no cell reception. I wished there was for backup when the turkeys flew into the phone line and knocked it down.
Anyway, the road home was shared with an open space preserve. When you got lower on the mountain the hikers/walkers would be on their phones / itunes whatever not paying attention to a dang thing. I would pull along side them and ask if they had seen that big mountain lion? Priceless reactions. I said maybe you should pay a little more attention to your surroundings.
I see a lot more parents enforcing good cell phone behavior than I used to.

shirleyknot
June 26th, 2017, 05:30 PM
The really sad thing is there are far too many adults just as bad.

Judy, USMC
June 26th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Parents set bad examples every day and ever so easy to see at restaurants. Mid 20's moms and dads text while their toddlers play with their Cheerio's. No one paying attention to anyone else. Just 2 weeks ago there was a table with Grandma, 2 parents and 2 older teenagers. None of them noticed Grandma struggling to get up out of her chair until the waitress came to help her up.

Very loudly she exclaimed how rude it was to invite her to dinner and then ignore her. And added that she was just getting up to walk home. That she would probably be home before anyone noticed she was gone. Of course the family was embarrassed ~ especially after some other diners started clapping.

It was an uncomfortable meal for them I'm sure but all of them did put their phones away. You don't mess with that Grandma!

GuitarGramma
June 26th, 2017, 07:34 PM
My four kids are all adults now. I learned a lesson when the older three were gone and I set the youngest up with her own checking account. She was able to learn a lot about managing money that I'd never taught the other three. It was one of those times when I realized that starting them young and teaching them appropriate lessons is important.

So too with cell phones. They're important in a world without phone booths. But there's also a huge difference between cell phones and smart phones. I don't understand why anyone buys a 12 year old a smart phone! You're just asking for addiction!

Of course, with cell phones, kids will still text. Before texting became unlimited, we got hit twice with $100 texting bills. In talking to our daughter we discovered that there is a huge social stigma against waiting to answer a text. She learned how to end conversations so they didn't wrack up these kinds of bills. But no one has ever been allowed to bring a cell phone to a family meal. Its all about teaching your kids appropriate behavior: don't pick your nose and no texting at the table!

It's nice to see this conversation on the forum. Sometimes I feel like a Lone Ranger on this issue. I have one friend whose 20-something daughter actually sleeps with her cell and has been known to text in her sleep!