PDA

View Full Version : Oh, what an exciting day!

bubba
June 24th, 2017, 01:28 AM
For some reason, my body clock has reset and I'm now up by 0800 each morning, much to my dismay. I got up this morning and was bumming around online when MM got up, ready and raring to head out to garage sales!

I think we went to about a dozen of them before we had to quit to go to the cat scan. My purchase of the day was a dress form that looks to be nearly new!!! It was $15 and I think worth every penny. I will have to dress her up and I will use her to display my bags!

Next stop was the doctor. They told us to be there at 1330. They did not tell us that once we were there and he drank his gunk that it would be a 90 minute wait before the cat scan! We went down and visited the chemo nurses, which is always nice to do. Had a nice visit with them before we had to head back up to radiology.

While he went there, I went to another office to make the follow up appointment with the surgeon. He told us this past Monday to make it for two days after the scan. The receptionist looks and says the next available appointment is August 29!!! Uh, no....that won't work for me. So then I had to explain things and she had to call the surgeons nurse to see what should be done. While she was on the phone, I see a large, elderly woman in a short dress walk out of the exam room area. Next thing I know, I hear a thud and she is down on the floor!

I'm now telling the two women behind the desk that there is a woman down. Well, the one talking to the nurse for MM stayed on the phone and peeked over the counter. The other one screamed down the hall that she needed a nurse and then went out to check on the woman. I could see she never lost consciousness, but she could not get up. I could also see a lot of other things that were not meant for my eyes!!

The receptionist came back and was muttering to herself that she thought this was a code blue and what am I supposed to do for that.......I'm telling her I don't think it's a code blue if she is awake and talking to the nurse. She picked up the phone, called someplace to report the code blue and lickety split, it's being broadcast over the PA system! This was all taking place just outside of the day surgery and you should have seen the doctors and nurses come racing!!! I counted eight doctors and about a dozen nurses and they were still coming two minutes later when the woman decided there were enough doctors there and the code blue could be cancelled.

I took the stairs down to radiology since my path to the elevator was blocked.

This is what I learned....when you are an old lady and go to the doctor, do not wear a short dress!!

Oh, the follow up appointment is Monday at 1000 via a phone call! The other confusing thing was they told MM to drink lots this weekend to flush the contrast from his body. So, we had to go ask the nurse about that and she had to page the surgeon who said, no fluids!!! Now I'm worried because it can affect the kidneys and that is all we don't need!

Caroline T.
June 24th, 2017, 02:36 AM
All i can say is, it's a good thing you pay attention and aren't afraid to question conflicting instructions.
And if you're a large old lady in a short dress, then please a least wear cute panties. Haha, sorry I shouldn't laugh, hope the gal is ok.

redcaboose1717
June 24th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Hmmmm I guess I would be a little worried too....
Take care Pat...and please know that I am praying for you both.

Star lover
June 24th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Wow, guess if it ain't exciting, it's boring...I take boring any day....you learned things....not what you'd like to know, but stuff.
Mmm, so they didn't know all the liquid stuff, before the test?? Sure hope there's no residual effects following the contrast cocktail. I'd be concerned too...please know, I'm praying for the both of you.....just so much going on for y'all. You have shown great strength through this whole time, more than many of us could ever handle.

Star lover
June 24th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Forgot to ask....did MM enjoy drinking his cocktail as much as he thought he would?

Jean Sewing Machine
June 24th, 2017, 06:04 AM
I hate that when you are give conflicting advice from two doctors who are working on different issues in the same patient! I had a meltdown when I got that kind of advice, and luckily the doctor who witnessed my distress agreed to negotiate directly with the other doctor to decide the course of action. Don't let them do that to you! You are the " traffic cop" in this whole situation because you are with him 24/7. Make these doctors talk to each other directly! Thinking of you both as you continue on your journey!

Georgie Girl
June 24th, 2017, 07:53 AM
What a day for you. Did you go home and have a cocktail of your own? Seems now a days you have to watch and question everything and pay close attention. Our doctor retired last December and I never had to worry about anything. Now with the new doctors I have to really listen and question. We were really spoiled. Had some problems and I was so frustrated I was ready to call my retired doctor out of retirement.

Monique
June 24th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Never a dull moment is there? Geez louise as if you haven't enough on your plate already? Continued prayers.

Sandy Navas
June 24th, 2017, 09:00 AM
That old saying about 'pull up your big girl panties' make any sense at all today?

How do they expect him to get that barium cocktail out of his system????????????

Cokie
June 24th, 2017, 11:08 AM
You need a little (a lot!) less excitement in your life!

Was the contrast he had to drink mixed in water? I had a CT scan a few weeks ago, and that's what they gave me to drink, then I had to wait 90 minutes before I could have the actual scan. They told me that 90% of the contrast would be eliminated the first time I urinated after the test. Hopefully that's the case with MM.

asta
June 24th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Pat, you do live one exciting life! Hugs and prayers that this all settles and life gives you and MM a smooth ride soon.

grammaterry
June 24th, 2017, 11:13 AM
I have heard that to survive in a hospital you must have a competent companion to oversee your care. Mm is surely lucky to have you. And congratulations on the dress form

bubba
June 24th, 2017, 12:14 PM
That old saying about 'pull up your big girl panties' make any sense at all today?

How do they expect him to get that barium cocktail out of his system????????????

I think he will just glow in the dark. You know, I do have some Geiger counters here somewhere (well, he does!) Maybe I should get them out and see if they work!

bubba
June 24th, 2017, 12:17 PM
You need a little (a lot!) less excitement in your life!

Was the contrast he had to drink mixed in water? I had a CT scan a few weeks ago, and that's what they gave me to drink, then I had to wait 90 minutes before I could have the actual scan. They told me that 90% of the contrast would be eliminated the first time I urinated after the test. Hopefully that's the case with MM.

I don't think so....he said it was the chalky stuff.

Forgot to ask....did MM enjoy drinking his cocktail as much as he thought he would?

I did not got back with him, but he texted me shortly after he had drank it and said even though it wasn't that bad, it was pretty good! I had to drink it 38 years ago, and I remember it being like thick chalky Tang.

shirleyknot
June 24th, 2017, 01:34 PM
All i can say is, it's a good thing you pay attention and aren't afraid to question conflicting instructions.
And if you're a large old lady in a short dress, then please a least wear cute panties. Haha, sorry I shouldn't laugh, hope the gal is ok.

Being a medium old lady, I suspect full-out bloomers would be an even better choice.

jjkaiser
June 24th, 2017, 10:52 PM
OMG We are gonna have to start calling you the Crisis Queen. I think you have experienced it all!!! Hang in there, I don't see how anything else can happen now.

LLLinda
June 25th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Happy to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor. Lord knows you need it now.

WendyI
June 26th, 2017, 12:20 PM
LOL! I literally laughed out loud at that poor woman's predicament! Hope things went well with the scan!