PDA

View Full Version : Attack in London - again

Judy, USMC
June 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM
Went to check my email and a news blurb said a van ran into pedestrians on London Bridge. Also men were stabbing people near the bridge. Gunfire reported also. Sketchy reports right now - but never to soon to start praying for the victims. (It's on CNN now.)

Hulamoon
June 3rd, 2017, 09:35 PM
And the big charity concert is tomorrow. :( I'm hoping the best that these jerks don't attack.

DeniseSm
June 3rd, 2017, 10:09 PM
Such a sad world. I don't understand how people can do this.

snippet
June 3rd, 2017, 10:19 PM
And the big charity concert is tomorrow. :( I'm hoping the best that these jerks don't attack.Manchester is about 150 miles northwest of London, so hopefully it will still go on despite what has happened in London.

It's all so sad.

JCY
June 3rd, 2017, 11:04 PM
This afternoon I saw the "breaking news" on the web, then watched the eve. national news. It sounded like there were 3 separate incidents. The terrorists (or whoever it is) don't even need guns now, they can just mow down people with a vehicle or hack them with a knife or machete. It's very tragic.

shirleyknot
June 3rd, 2017, 11:08 PM
I'm glad I live away from people.

Mom23
June 3rd, 2017, 11:18 PM
My sister, her husband and son are in London, they had been on the bridge earlier in the evening. We've received word they are safely in their hotel. When will the madness end?

redcaboose1717
June 3rd, 2017, 11:22 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/attack-houses-parliament-london-what-we-know-so-far

This newspaper article explains the injured and those who died. One of the dead was a man from Utah. He & his wife were celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary. The man's wife is in serious condition.

Why ? This is so sad......I just don't understand the reasoning behind these types of things. It's getting to the point that many people are leery to go anywhere, and with good reason.

I don't know much about the gun laws in England....but I think it's easier to run someone down or stab them over there.....of course anything that is done that results in death, or severely injured is wrong....there's just no excuse for this, ever.

kimsophia
June 3rd, 2017, 11:42 PM
The terrorists are sadly mistaken if they think they are going to cow Londoners. They "kept calm and carried on" during the Blitz!

From Wikipedia: "No collapse of morale[edit]
Although the intensity of the bombing was not as great as prewar expectations so an equal comparison is impossible, no psychiatric crisis occurred because of the Blitz even during the period of greatest bombing of September 1940. An American witness wrote "By every test and measure I am able to apply, these people are staunch to the bone and won't quit ... the British are stronger and in a better position than they were at its beginning". People referred to raids as if they were weather, stating that a day was "very blitzy".[65]

According to Anna Freud and Edward Glover, London civilians surprisingly did not suffer from widespread shell shock, unlike the soldiers in the Dunkirk evacuation.[66] The psychoanalysts were correct, and the special network of psychiatric clinics opened to receive mental casualties of the attacks closed due to lack of need. Although the stress of the war resulted in many anxiety attacks, eating disorders, fatigue, weeping, miscarriages, and other physical and mental ailments, society did not collapse. The number of suicides and drunkenness declined, and London recorded only about two cases of "bomb neuroses" per week in the first three months of bombing. Many civilians found that the best way to retain mental stability was to be with family, and after the first few weeks of bombing avoidance of the evacuation programs grew.[67][68][69]

Office workers make their way to work through debris after a heavy air raid.
The cheerful crowds visiting bomb sites were so large they interfered with rescue work,[64] pub visits increased in number (beer was never rationed), and 13,000 attended cricket at Lord's. People left shelters when told instead of refusing to leave, although many housewives reportedly enjoyed the break from housework. Some people even told government surveyors that they enjoyed air raids if they occurred occasionally, perhaps once a week. Despite the attacks, defeat in Norway and France, and the threat of invasion, overall morale remained high; a Gallup poll found only 3% of Britons expected to lose the war in May 1940, another found an 88% approval rating for Churchill in July, and a third found 89% support for his leadership in October. Support for peace negotiations declined from 29% in February. Each setback caused more civilians to volunteer to become unpaid Local Defence Volunteers, workers worked longer shifts and over weekends, contributions rose to the 5,000 "Spitfire Funds" to build fighters, and the number of work days lost to strikes in 1940 was the lowest in history.[70]"

Julie A
June 4th, 2017, 12:41 AM
God bless the people in London and all across England. These terrorists don't begin to understand the nature of the people they are attacking, do they? The post on the resilience of the English during the Blitz is so telling of the stamina, courage and backbone of the British. I am amazed always by the absolute failure of terrorism to achieve its goals. Instead, such cowardly acts always end up strengthening the society attacked. God keep all of you safe and well.

stationarymom
June 4th, 2017, 01:14 AM
Prayers to all the people in London.I have a cousin and her family that live there and we haven't heard anything yet about their safety.

snippet
June 4th, 2017, 01:16 AM
My sister, her husband and son are in London, they had been on the bridge earlier in the evening. We've received word they are safely in their hotel. When will the madness end?oh my Robin! I sure hope their trip isn't disrupted much, but I imagine it will be with all the security measures taking place.

TMP
June 4th, 2017, 01:44 AM
Sending prayers to the people of London.
These attacks are just pure evil. The people who comment them are losers.

Julie A
June 4th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Praying that your family is safe. All our English forum members, especially those in and around London and Manchester, praying for you today...

auntiemern
June 4th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Prayers for all of the UK, and for us, that it doesn't happen here. The world just gets scarier all the time :(

Wrenmuzz
June 4th, 2017, 03:53 PM
I live in the Scottish Borders, miles away from London. I'm watching the concert at the moment. Artists from Britain, USA, Eire etc. Thank you to them for the support in these mad times. Thanks also for the supportive posts in this forum. London attacked again too. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, as the saying goes. At my age, 65, I don't know half the people in this concert but I send thanks and respect to them all. Thanks again 'forum friends '

WendyI
June 5th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I am way too sensitive to live in a world this cruel. I cried all weekend for these poor people. How can people murder in the name of a religion I will NEVER understand until my dying day.