PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the Singer Futura from HSN, or go to my local dealer and get a Janome one Bernina?

Sondra
January 14th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I really want an embroidery machine that I can use with a computer..... The deal at HSN on the singer futura quartet is tempting, but I fear that I may be better off using a local business with service dept for a Bernina or Janome.
Either way it will be a considerable investment. Currently I have a workhorse of a Singer machine. (anniversary edition) and it's been wonderful.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

In other news: I completed 14 purse totes in December, and completed a lap quilt UFO this week. Plus I up cycled an old tshirt into a cute handbag. I upload all my projects to pintrest. (Sondra Jones) currently I'm piecing a flying geese quilt to keep. (batiks and black)

sewmuchjan
January 14th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hi Sondra, I have the FQ from HSN. I got mine about 10 months a go. I love it and I have played a bit with the embroidery part, But I use mainly for quilting. I just bought a extension table for it from Albrands and makes a big difference. I have a Janome MC 350 E it is embroidery only and my wonderful old work horse that I have had for 20 years it is a Kenmore.
Don't know if I helped or not.

Good Luck
Hugs
Jan G

Genny
January 14th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I actually owned a Singer Futura Quartet 4-1 from HSN. It is great for quilting but if you get into Machine Embroidery like I am then I would consider buying the Bernina or a Janome. My reasoning for this is that my Singer only came with 2 sizes of embroidery hoops and if you get into embroidery like I am then you'll want different sizes of hoops. When I contacted Singer about this they told me they had no plans to make any more sizes for this machine. Also, to use this Singer you have to use the software that comes with it just to embroidery.

I sold my Singer and purchased the Janome 11000SE and truely I'm impressed with it. I now have 5 different sizes hoops plus 2 magnetic hoops that I can use with this machine. You can edit your designs in this machine without additional software.

I've never owned a Bernina but I've heard great reviews on them.

I know you'll make the right decision for whatever meets your needs.

a1angiem
January 14th, 2012, 11:02 PM
boy, i checked it out! that looks very exciting and looks like an awesome price. yes, my only concern would be if it needs servicing. maybe you can find out if a dealer near you would service it/honour the warranty. the reviews looked positive but since it's a big expense i would google it and check out some message boards first. good luck and have fun! having been through this process before Christmas, I know it can be exciting and overwhelming!!!

Sondra
January 14th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'm leaning towards buying local and taking advantage of the classes they offer as well. I'll just have to save my pennies or sell some projects on Etsy to raise funds.

Granny Judy
January 14th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Here is what I do/would do if I had the Extra cash for a New machine.. Go to a local dealer and give the machine of My Dreams a try out run. Get all the information on servicing, parts and accessories available. get a demo of how to computerize and get new designs from the dealer.. then make the "big" decision before paying out a sizeable hunk of cash. Try several dealers and several different machines..

Mainly, take your time and really Know what your needs will be...then go upwards and get a little more...

For me it would be a Once In A Life Time Purchase, so I'm pretty big on the exploring all my options before buying side.

Bubby
January 15th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I would recommend a Bernina or Janome over a Singer any time. If you can afford a great machine, go for it! Barb

a1angiem
January 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Oh, and P.S....if you buy local, they bargain! The first price is NOT the price you have to pay! Do your research and sound informed and they should give you a fair price. I knew in advance what I was willing to pay.

Nena
January 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I would go local for all the reasons already mentioned above. I would also get the best machine possible that you can afford. These machines are an investment and you want to make sure that you are happy with that investment.

Sondra
January 19th, 2012, 12:05 AM
All great advice, but the reality is that I can't justify the big prices, so tonight after thorough research and comparison I went ahead and ordered from HSN. I'm excited. The package deal with all the software seems great, and I love my 150th anniversary edition Singer I currently own. It's been a pleasure and I plan to continue using it too. I'm excited to start embroidery projects. Gifts and such at first and perhaps custom work later. I have a full time music teacher job, so this is mostly for pleasure. If I were to open a biz I would consider a fancier, more expensive, machine.

P.s. I wish I could upload photos from mobile devices to this forum..... Sigh

AnotherMadQuilter
January 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I've had my futura 150 for a few years and it has never failed me yet. It stitches nicely, doesn't struggle and embroiders great. I do have to have it hooked up to my computer to do anything using the embroidery module but not for regular sewing. I also got a package with the extra software. At the price I paid, I can get a few replacements for the cost of 1 high end machine and they are not without problems either so I think I made a good choice when I bought mine. Using it almost every day, trouble free for over 3 years, confirms that choice. Just my own opinion. Good luck with yours Sondra and happy quilting!

brittyboo07
January 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM
sounds like you made a great find! I would like to follow you on pinterest but there seems to be several Sondra Jones! What is your profile pic?

Genny
January 19th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Congrats on your new machine, I know you'll love it as its a great machine for quilting. Hope you get it soon so you can start playing with your new toy!

brittyboo07
January 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM
wow so I just went and checked it out very nice machine! Maybe I will make and investment like that one day cause it does look sweet!

Sondra
January 20th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Brittyboo- on Pintrest my profile pic shows a smiling brunette (medium length with bangs) with a turquoise blouse and the room behind me is painted light blue with white doors. I would upload that same pic here but this forum doesn't have accommodation in the code to allow mobile uploads.

I've uploaded a lot of the handbags I made this year for Christmas. Search Music Tote and you might find me that way. It's black with a piano border and pink ribbon. It's my purse currently.

brittyboo07
January 20th, 2012, 11:40 AM
found you! and cute stuff!

Sondra
January 21st, 2012, 01:07 AM
Thank you. I had a blast making all the bags for my nieces, sisters and other folks.