PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Leftie or a Rightie?

Judy, USMC
May 26th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Was reading Sandy's post about scissors. Was surprised to see how many posted that they use left handed scissors. So here's the poll - which hand do you primarily use: Left, Right or Ambidextrous?

I'm a Righty now - but was born a Leftie. Sometimes I'll regress and use my left for some things but when it comes to cutting fabric it's always with my right hand.

SuzyQue
May 26th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Right.........but as a child I was ambidextrous.

Bubby
May 26th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Right handed but I'm a klutz with both hands.

Hulamoon
May 26th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Right, but my dad was a left. My oldest is a left, youngest is a right. It's a curious thing isn't it?

Vonnie
May 26th, 2017, 09:14 PM
My Mother was determined that we would not be lefties and forced all of us kids to be righties. DH and I decided that we would let our kids be whatever worked best for them.

BethB
May 26th, 2017, 09:21 PM
My dad was a leftie, but I guess you could say he was ambidextrous. He was an architect and drew and wrote with his right, but he ate, played golf, and everything else with his left. His mom was a leftie also, as is my brother. Both my daughter-in-laws are lefties and my granddaughter in CA is a leftie and my youngest granddaughter here is also a leftie. My second son started out as a leftie and had very nice printing in kindergarten and 1st grade, but switched to the right and has had horrible handwriting ever since.

Nancy

redcaboose1717
May 26th, 2017, 09:36 PM
I am a rightie......I can't do anything with my left-hand. My DH Terry was ambidextrous. He bowled with his left hand, hunted(using a rifle & shotgun) left-handed. He wrote right-handed, and ate left-handed. Our 3rd child, a son is a leftie. The teachers from Kindergarten to Third-grade tried to convince us that our 3rd child, Travis should be made to be right-handed, but we refused to let this happen. He has the nicest penmanship as a leftie. He started turning his paper to the right and would write that way, instead of having his paper to the left like most teachers teach their left-handed students. My MIL taught our left-handed son, to knit, crochet, etc. by sitting across from him. My son's teachers were upset with me because I purchased left-handed scissors for him in elementary school, telling me that I was "handicapping" him because it was better that he learn to use RIGHT handed scissors, can openers etc. As he grew older he learned to use right-handed items.
I also have a niece and a nephew who are lefties. I have 4 children, 3 boys, and a girl. ( Our daughter, is our second child )
My 2nd DH John is left-handed and is ambidextrous.

Carlie Wolf
May 26th, 2017, 09:40 PM
I started out lefty but the nun's got a hold of me.

Hulamoon
May 26th, 2017, 10:05 PM

lol I was around nuns for awhile and they put me in a corner for talking to much. I think I was seven.

Caroline T.
May 26th, 2017, 10:20 PM
I am right handed, but there are a few things that I do left handed, such as shoot pool (I was taught by a lefty).

LynneLeavell
May 26th, 2017, 10:26 PM
I am right hand dominant but when I shoot I am left eye dominant.

Carolnnc
May 26th, 2017, 10:38 PM

Lefty until my first grade teacher (not a nun) kept smacking my hands with a ruler.

BobW
May 26th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Right handed.

Anitamae56
May 26th, 2017, 11:12 PM
I am a definite right handed , sometimes not so good even with right hand!�� But NEVER good with left hand.

Cokie
May 26th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Right handed. My parents and both brothers are right handed. My DH is left handed. Oldest DS is right handed and youngest is left handed. When all four of us would go out to eat when they were both still at home, we had to coordinate who sat where so we didn't bump elbows!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 26th, 2017, 11:24 PM
My DH and I are/we're both righties, we had one left handed kid, none of his children are lefties. My youngest daughter is a righty but she has a lefty kid. Go figure! My MIL TRIED TO GET MY SON TO USE HIS " pretty" hand, not his left hand. Fortunately, he didn't listen to her!

snippet
May 26th, 2017, 11:58 PM
I am right hand dominant but when I shoot I am left eye dominant.I am this way too!

laura44
May 27th, 2017, 12:30 AM
I write with my left, do most things with my right.
Can use the rotary cutter with either hand.

pcbatiks
May 27th, 2017, 12:33 AM
I'm a rightie.........can't imagine how much damage I could do with a rotary cutter in my left hand! :icon_scared:

grammaterry
May 27th, 2017, 12:39 AM
I am primarily a righty, but when I broke my wrist I found that using my left hand was just as easy except for penmanship. My husband is always asking me...are you left handed...especially when using tools. I hammer just as effectively with either hand and this just mystifys him.

Ahamblin
May 27th, 2017, 12:45 AM
I'm a lefty. My first grade teacher tried to make me change but my parents put a stop to that. I do some things like iron and shoot a gun right handed. My Dad taught me to shoot that way because at the time left handed shot guns and rifles were rare. My mother taught me to knit and crochet by sitting me in front of her and I mimicked her movements. It worked. All my kids are right handed. I do buy left handed scissors when I can. I spent most of my work life involved with accountants and almost all of them were left handed which I always found interesting.

tamsterg7
May 27th, 2017, 01:51 AM
Left, totally left and the only one in my family. I have never understood why people think lefties are odd, or why anyone would want to change kids from using witchever hand the brain says to use! Yes, it is a right dominant world and there are things that would sure be easier if made for both lefty and righty, but you just try to adapt.

Hulamoon
May 27th, 2017, 02:48 AM
Left, totally left and the only one in my family. I have never understood why people think lefties are odd, or why anyone would want to change kids from using witchever hand the brain says to use! Yes, it is a right dominant world and there are things that would sure be easier if made for both lefty and righty, but you just try to adapt.

I don't think your odd. I didn't try to change my daughter. In English we write left to right. In Asia they write right to left. Have you ever seen a Japanese magazine, you read from the back to the front.

JulieC
May 27th, 2017, 03:34 AM
I'm a righty, my oldest sister is a lefty, and loves to the wear shirts saying: "I may be left-handed, but I'm always right." My brother is ambidextrous; he started out as a lefty, but the public school system made him learn how to write right-handed. My brother has a stutter and Mom decided the school system caused it by forcing him to write with his right hand. When my sister started school five years later, Mom marched up there and told them to leave my sister alone and let her stay a lefty. Funny how times change -- my nephew is a lefty and it wasn't an issue when he went to school.

Iris Girl
May 27th, 2017, 05:23 AM
I'm a righty but my youngest is ambidextrous

Cathy F
May 27th, 2017, 06:48 AM
I'm a leftie as far as scissors go, but otherwise I would say I'm ambidextrous. I usually see which hand feels more comfortable for what I'm doing. and when I had my cake decorating business could only write on a cake using my right hand. Guess I'm just a mixed up mess!

Henstax
May 27th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Lefty except for knitting.

Sandy Navas
May 27th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Throwing in a "Jenny" story here. At a function in Hamilton I realized I'd forgotten my scissors so I ran to the store to pick up a pair. There was only ONE pair of left-handed scissors available. When I got back to the classroom I told Jenny that if she needed scissors she'd better get them to order a big supply of left-handed ones. Surprise! Even though she's left-handed, yet she cuts with her right hand. I had never noticed that on videos . . .

Hopehannah
May 27th, 2017, 10:12 AM
I'm a rightie, but my son is left handed, except with sports! That is so weird. He played hockey and football in high school and used his right hand. I never asked about which hand he shot with when he was in the Marine Corps.

MayinJerset
May 27th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Righty here, DH and sons as well. Never noticed if any of the grand kids are left handed. Youngest great grands are 1 and 2 and they stuff their food into their mouths with both hands.

When I was in 1st grade we sat at tables and our teacher told us that our right hand was diagonally across the table from the right hand of the student facing us. Boy was I confused for some time because my table mate was a lefty which I had never seen before.

MSN
May 27th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Right handed. My parents and both brothers are right handed. My DH is left handed. Oldest DS is right handed and youngest is left handed. When all four of us would go out to eat when they were both still at home, we had to coordinate who sat where so we didn't bump elbows!

I used to have a refrigerator magnet that said, "Being left-handed means always sitting at the end of the table."

MSN
May 27th, 2017, 11:21 AM
My son's teachers were upset with me because I purchased left-handed scissors for him in elementary school, telling me that I was "handicapping" him because it was better that he learn to use RIGHT handed scissors, can openers etc.

The handles of some right-handed scissors are more neutral, but many are shaped so that you can only use your right hand or suffer a lot of pain. Those teachers should be forced to spend a day using left-handed scissors before they force the lefties to use something that causes pain.

ConnieNana
May 27th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I am a rightie. I have seven children. One is a leftie. DH is a rightie.

MSN
May 27th, 2017, 11:38 AM
I am a leftie through and through. The only thing that ever came naturally to use my right hand was dribble a basketball.

Several years ago, I took a nursing continuing education course called "Health Implications of Left-handedness." I expected that lefties would have a higher rate of accidental injury from trying to use right-handed equipment, but I was surprised to learn that lefties also have a higher incidence of everything from schizophrenia to diabetes. No explanation was offered, but there is a statistical correlation. Also, five of the last eight U.S. presidents are lefties (Obama, Clinton, George H. W. Bush, Reagan, and Ford).

Several folks here have noted that their dominant eye is contralateral to their dominant hand. This is not unusual. In fact, we should think in terms of "sidedness." Consider not only which is your dominant hand, but which leg would you use to kick a football? Which eye do you use to look through a camera's viewfinder? Most people are a mixture of sidedness, but clearly have one side that is dominant. When I took that CE course, I was surprised to learn that I scored 100% left side dominant.

Sandy Navas
May 27th, 2017, 12:41 PM
The handles of some right-handed scissors are more neutral, but many are shaped so that you can only use your right hand or suffer a lot of pain. Those teachers should be forced to spend a day using left-handed scissors before they force the lefties to use something that causes pain.

I had a man in Florida sharpen some left-handed scissors for me one time and we had a very interesting conversation about them. I am not certain I can remember exactly - but what he told me was that when left-handed people started demanding left-handed scissors they manufacturers only changed the angle of the thumb and finger inserts. That's why, if you are left-handed, you often need to replace your scissors - because they did not change the position of the blades. So when you cut your thumb is pushing against the blade to the right and after a while it causes the blade to flex away from the other blade, and they will no longer cut properly. I'm sure every left handed sewist has had this issue. After talking to him he told me that the Kai scissors are the only TRUE left-handed scissors (this was about five or six years ago and he was not affiliated with Kai). If you want to check, get a pair of your right-handed scissors and put them up against a pair of left-handed ones. You can note the difference on the handles. But the thumb control handle should be on the left-sided blade so it will push against the right side blade, thereby prevent it from spreading.

Hope that made sense.

Cool Breeze Quilter
May 27th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I'm a righty but because of a shoulder injury use my left hand for a lot of things. At first it was difficult because I was so very right handed. For example now I use my left hand to move a mouse and it feels uncomfortable to use my right hand instead.

MaryUK
May 27th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I'm a lefty with most things apart from knitting and eating. When I was at school there was talk of trying to change me to a righty but Mum told them to leave me to my natural way. I am the only lefty in a family of 6 kids and my parents are righties too!

A long time ago I bought a pair of dress making scissors which are designed for lefties and they cost me an arm and a leg but they are as good as the first day I bought them!!

MSN
May 27th, 2017, 08:04 PM
After talking to him he told me that the Kai scissors are the only TRUE left-handed scissors (this was about five or six years ago and he was not affiliated with Kai).

I have a pair of Gingher TRUE left-handed scissors. After using right-handed scissors (or right-handed scissors in which only the handles have been reconfigured for lefties) all my life, I have to think for a moment about exactly how to apply pressure on the handles. Once I do, they work great!

asta
May 27th, 2017, 08:14 PM

Me too but my brother-1 yr older-was allowed to be a lefty. I have never had good penmanship as a righty, lefty is also not-so -good but after a bit of practice is best. I do many things lefty, shoot, bows and guns, pool, use many tools in the workshop with left, was told I knit and crochet left handed also. My ability came in handy when teaching handwriting as a teacher, all the lefties were put in my classroom.

Doloris
May 27th, 2017, 10:07 PM
I am left handed, but eat with my right. I am ambidextrous with most things, like the rotary cutter and scissors. Never did get the hang of left handed scissors.

BethB
May 28th, 2017, 09:06 AM
My dad, brother and paternal grandmother were all left-handed. So when there was a celebration at my parent's house, my mom would slice the cake and place it on the plate as a "left-handed" or "right handed" piece. This meant the icing on the top of the slice was on the left for a right-hander or on the right for a left-hander. That way, you would not get your hand in the icing.

lots2do
May 28th, 2017, 10:37 AM

I am a recently retired teacher. The nice thing now is that kid scissors are made to be used by either hand. Also I never, ever tried to change a kid's handedness. Married to a lefty who always gets to sit at the end or near the end of the table. 🙂

Angelia
May 28th, 2017, 11:38 AM
I'm a righty, but I tie my shoes like a lefty because my lefty dad taught me how! :)

Nene
May 28th, 2017, 11:40 AM
I am the only right handed one from a family were Mom, Dad and the other six siblings are all lefties. People tell me I write with a left handed slant. Think if might be because lefties taught me? LOL

Midge
May 28th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Good to know so many besides me are mixed in their handedness. I used to have a scientific paper that proposed an explanation for this but I can't find it now. Will have to look into it. I'm one of the mixed people, with writing, cutting with both knives, cutters and scissors left only, and in most other activities I am strongly left handed. Except for sports. I bat right handed but throw (badly��) left. Volleyball was my school sport and I used my left. I learned golf from my left handed uncle, but he was way too tall for me to use his clubs. So we went to get me a starter set, and the right handed clubs just felt right, so I play golf right handed. Shooting is the same. I am right eyed, so I shot right handed from the start. Isn't it interesting how we are just wired this way? Sad for people who were tortured in school by ignorant teachers.

Nene
May 28th, 2017, 11:49 AM
I am the only right handed one from a family were Mom, Dad and the other six siblings are all lefties. People tell me I write with a left handed slant. Think if might be because lefties taught me? LOL

LauraP
May 28th, 2017, 12:01 PM
My youngest daughter had beautiful handwriting when she started school but it was upside down and backwards, like DaVinci. Needless to say, the teacher made her learn how to write "properly" and to this day it is hard to read her letters.

peggiep
May 28th, 2017, 03:51 PM
I am a rightie, but use my left for many things like shovelling snow, pulling weeds, hanging clothes on the line, etc. I can write with both hands but the penmanship with my right is better. I guess I might be ambidextrous!