PDA

View Full Version : Craftsy course: Machine quilting

Monique
January 13th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Has anyone bought this course? Is it worth buying? I would like to learn how to machine quilt. Thanks

Sandy Navas
January 13th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Not me. Evidently not anyone else! I say just get brave and try with FUGLY fabric.

Actually I have been avoiding Craftsy stuff after a message on the blog one day. So I wasn't even aware of this course.

Loonwatcher
January 13th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Sandy - what message?

I am taking the machine quilting course and find it very helpful. Afraid I haven't had time to try any of it yet but just he first class on putting together the sandwich was worth it.

K. McEuen
January 14th, 2012, 12:11 AM
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?5995-Have-any-of-you-taken-the-Machine-Quilting-class-offered-on-Craftsy&highlight=craftsy+free+motion

There is the link to the previous thread on the class.

bec
January 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I've taken the class (by Wendy Butler Berns). I did learn a few things, but found that she rambled a lot and repeated herself so much that it was difficult for me to watch. A couple of times I just turned it off because it was driving me crazy. I think she could have easily done the classes in half the time and still not gone too fast. After all it is a video and can be paused. BUT as I said, I did learn a few things, just not sure that it was worth it for me. I think just looking for free instructions on line and jumping in is just as useful. Here is a link to a lady who does videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw She has a 4 part video on FMQ that I liked.

There are others like Leah Day who has a website (daystyledesigns.com) and does quilt videos on youtube. I like a lot of her videos, too.

Hope this helps.

HandsOffItsMine
January 14th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I got it at half off and thought it was worth it. Learn short cuts and pointers. Wouldn't pay full price. Leay Day is good but some of her stuff is too funky in style for my taste.

Monique
January 14th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me.

Bubby
January 14th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I think Alana bought this course. I woud check with her. Barb

sassyquilter
January 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I've taken the class (by Wendy Butler Berns). I did learn a few things, but found that she rambled a lot and repeated herself so much that it was difficult for me to watch. A couple of times I just turned it off because it was driving me crazy. I think she could have easily done the classes in half the time and still not gone too fast. After all it is a video and can be paused. BUT as I said, I did learn a few things, just not sure that it was worth it for me. I think just looking for free instructions on line and jumping in is just as useful. Here is a link to a lady who does videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw She has a 4 part video on FMQ that I liked.

There are others like Leah Day who has a website (daystyledesigns.com) and does quilt videos on youtube. I like a lot of her videos, too.

Hope this helps.

I really liked leah day's videos too, definitely check them out!

Nena
January 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I have been learning to free motion quilt by watching Patsy Thompson. I have bought a few of her cd's and they are priceless!!! I recommend her in a heart beat. I did not care for the Wendy video/lessons. I did not find her particularly helpful. Try Patsy and you will love her!!!

beadywoman
January 18th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I took the course when it was 1/2 price and loved it - my first craftsy course. She has some great suggestions, especially if you are new to quilting, about the entire process, that would be a rehash for more experienced quilters, but that gave me lots of food for thought. She is very good to answer email questions and I found her to be very upbeat and encouraging to a newbie. Leah Day is also very awesome. Of course, each to his own, some prefer different styles. I check it all out, especially if it's free! The really great thing about craftsy is that you can go back time and time again.

Monique
January 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I took the course when it was 1/2 price and loved it - my first craftsy course. She has some great suggestions, especially if you are new to quilting, about the entire process, that would be a rehash for more experienced quilters, but that gave me lots of food for thought. She is very good to answer email questions and I found her to be very upbeat and encouraging to a newbie. Leah Day is also very awesome. Of course, each to his own, some prefer different styles. I check it all out, especially if it's free! The really great thing about craftsy is that you can go back time and time again.

I did the Quilting Quickly I and II. They were awesome.