PDA

View Full Version : The Story of Mothers Day

Carlie Wolf
May 14th, 2017, 04:51 PM
This was in the Taylor County Library May newsletter. Found it interesting based on some of the things we were talking about.

Anna Jarvis, daughter of Ann Reeves Jarvis, who had moved from Grafton, West Virginia to Philadelphia, in 1890, was the power behind the official establishment of Mother's Day. Anna swore at her mother's grave site in 1905 to dedicate her life to her mother's project and establish a Mother's Day to honor mothers, living and dead. A persistent rumor is that Anna's grief was intensified because she and her mother had quarreled and her mother died before they could reconcile. In 1907 she passed out 500 white carnations at her mother's church, St Andrew's Methodist Episcopal Church in Grafton West Virginia - one for each mother in the congregation. 1912: West Virginia because the first state to adopt an official Mother's Day. 1914: the US Congress passed a Joint Resolution, and President Woodrow Wilson signed it, establishing Mother's Day, emphasizing women's role in the family. Anna Jarvis became increasingly concerned over the commercialization of Mother's Day: "I wanted it to be a day of sentiment, not profit." She opposed the selling of flowers and also the use of greeting cards: "a poor excuse for the letter you re too lazy to write."

auntiemern
May 15th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Interesting. I have never known how it started.

Star lover
May 15th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Thank you so much for the reminder. I read about it many years ago, but had forgotten.

Carlie Wolf
May 15th, 2017, 10:58 AM
What I found so interesting was that it was started by a daughter who cut off communication with her mother which she deeply regretted after her mother passed away. So basically a lot of us have a lot more in common with it then would meet the eye :-) So lets see....does that mean that it was founded by a spoiled daughter trying to get her way and Mom ultimately having the last word regarding the real value of motherhood? When I think of that I think more of the Seven Swords that pierced the heart of Mary!

WendyI
May 15th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Interesting story...and even more interesting as to how the rest of the world adopted the tradition. Well Canada anyway...I know Australia also does it and the UK and Greese...wonder what other countries also do it.