• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hopehannah
    Quilting Guru
    • May 2017

Dreading Mother's Day

I don't know if I'm the only one here who dreads Mother's Day more than any other day of the year, but, if I'm not, I just want to say you're in my thoughts and prayers. I don't want to go into details, but it's a wound that will never heal.
  • JaniceR
    The Guild President
    • Apr 2012

Re: Dreading Mother's Day

I am so sorry to hear that and hope your heart feels better and that you get through tomorrow with as little pain as possible.

Comment

• Navy Wife
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2013

My DIL agrees with you. They struggled with infertility for years, which really hurts on Mother's Day.

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

About two years ago not one of my four kids called me. I don't have mine anymore, so it sort of hurt a bit.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MSN
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2017

After I eventually made peace with my decision to permanently remove myself from her line of fire, I no longer dread Mother's Day. I agree with you, it is a wound that will never heal, and that few others will understand. You are not alone. Blessings and hugs to all who know that pain.

Comment

• Midge
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2014

Virtual hugs and warm thoughts to all who suffer on Mother's Day, for whatever reason. While we live on and can find positive relationships as adults, it's always there, a lasting sorrow and source of pain.

Comment

• shirleyknot
              Banned
              Missouri Star
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
              About two years ago not one of my four kids called me. I don't have mine anymore, so it sort of hurt a bit.
              I have 2. Haven't heard from the youngest one since he got out of the army in 1997. He lives 30 miles away. Haven't heard from the oldest in 3 years because I won't support him so he can do drugs. He lives 12 miles away.

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
                Missouri Star
                • May 2013

Wow so saf. My heart hurts for you all. I cannot imagine having to deal with no contact with my girls. One is aloof, but has not disappeared. Hugs to you all.
                Karen
                Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• JCY
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2013

Happy Mother's Day to everyone, even those who are feeling sad for whatever reason. And also to those who have not had the privilege of being mothers, or perhaps have had abortions or who gave up a child for adoption. I have a DIL who never had kids, but she's been a great step-mom to her husb.'s kids (my step-son). He was married 2 prior times & divorced, with a child from each marriage. He's been blessed with a good wife the 3rd time around. All of our sons (his 2 & my 2) live in other states. We rarely get to see them or the gr. kids, but we keep in touch by phone & e-m. My 2 step-sons have faithfully remembered me on my BD & special days. They didn't live with us, but visited in the summers until they got old enough to have summer jobs & didn't want to come any more. My younger son seldom sends cards on any occasion, but he usually sends an e-m. God bless you all & help you through the day tomorrow. God loves you, even if the family is fractured & there are disappointments.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2011

I just consider it another day. If the kids come, they come....If not, it's not a big deal. I always remembered my own lovely mother every year.She passed in 2006. I normally take flowers out to my parents graves the Friday before Mom's day....

It amazes me how one can have 4 children who were raised pretty much the same...yet when they get married, how things change.. I haven't heard from 2 of my kids in years....basically because I won't support them when they get into trouble by not paying their bills. My other 2 will either call or send cards. I did receive one card in the mail just now which was nice.

I just tend not to let things like this bug me any more. I was a good mom and I know that without a doubt. If I am ignored because I won't open my wallet, so be it.
                    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• shirleyknot
                      Banned
                      Missouri Star
                      • Sep 2014

Yeah, I;m actually better off they don't come around. No one has stolen anything in several years.

Comment

• RockinLou
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2014

Mother's Day is not on our radar this year, we are making funeral arrangements for my husband's mother, I fully expect it to be overlooked and have no hard feelings on that account. I will reach out to my mother.

It's a strange holiday anyway, isn't it?

Comment

• Hulamoon
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by RockinLou View Post
                          Mother's Day is not on our radar this year, we are making funeral arrangements for my husband's mother, I fully expect it to be overlooked and have no hard feelings on that account. I will reach out to my mother.

It's a strange holiday anyway, isn't it?
                          So sorry for your family's loss.

I don't know if it's strange, but your brought up with it from kindergarten days making cards and gifts for mom. You have it sort of engrained in you. Valentines day too. You get set up for expectations.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Midge
                            Missouri Star
                            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            So sorry for your family's loss.

I don't know if it's strange, but your brought up with it from kindergarten days making cards and gifts for mom. You have it sort of engrained in you. Valentines day too. You get set up for expectations.
                            You raise a good point. It made me think about where all the expectations came from for these nonreligious holidays, so I looked it up.

There was definitely some wackiness there! But a worthy idea related to Civil War history and the experience of mothers whose sons served and possibly died for our country imo. The commercialization part bothers me. I don't need 'things'. I'd rather have the company and memory of a great day with my son. I was never good at sending cards or found giving cards particularly meaningful and I guess that rubbed off on him. Although I think there is much less emphasis on card sending among younger people. We have fun plans to eat brunch at one of our favorite restaurants and then head to the movies together. It's become our tradition to see the big sci fi movies together. Some of his earliest memories of epic times were when I took him and a friend to things like Star Wars films. We are both big sci fi lovers. He's taking me to the garden center so I can get a few azaleas and hydrangeas and not have to carry them myself. So I feel very blessed now.

Comment

• Cokie
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                              God loves you, even if the family is fractured & there are disappointments.
                              This touched my heart today. Thanks for posting, Joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X