PDA

View Full Version : More bad weather - Tornado Warnings, Rain, Lightning, Thunder

Judy, USMC
May 5th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Was awoken at 5:30 by an Emergency Alert on my phone "Seek shelter now!" It was lightning and thundering and I tried to stay in bed but the phone was going off every 5 minutes. Finally at 6am (after the electricity stopped flickering) I saw the radar - and the hook echos! I'll be the first one to admit I've become a bit callous to warnings. Been through too many hurricanes and typhoons to really get excited about bad weather.

The warning was supposed to be from 5:30 to 6; they extended it to 6:30; now they just updated the warning to 8am! And downgraded to a Watch until 11am. At the height of the storm there were 100 lightning strikes in 10 minutes. Rainfall was at a rate of 5.5 inches per hour. Gusts to 60 mph and moving at 55 mph. Announced schools delayed 2 - 3 hours. Funnel cloud reported about 5 miles from my house.

We've had more than our share of rain and flooding this spring. Someone please MAKE IT STOP!

shirleyknot
May 5th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I heartily agree! I've had 8 inches of rain in the past 2 weeks, and enough mini-disasters to deal with as my nerves can handle.

Bubby
May 5th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Judy, Hunker down and take care. Our FEMA shelter opened for a few days. It sounds like you are getting what we had a few days ago. We are still trying to catch up with ourselves after our 15 inches of rain, 11 inches in one day. The weather front is marching across the US. Take care.....

Monique
May 5th, 2017, 09:28 AM
STAY SAFE!!

cv quilter
May 5th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Judy, where are you located?

Barb, That's incredible! All that rain. We have had to cancel our trip, which was to include TX, LA, MS, KY, MO (we were going to M*) and CO. All that bad weather, it didn't make sense to leave home pulling a 5th wheel in all that mess.

Shirley, glad you now have water and hope you get your phone soon.

Judy, USMC
May 5th, 2017, 03:45 PM
@cvquilter - This happened in coastal North Carolina. It's tracked all the way up the eastern seaboard and is now in NY and NJ. Just poked my head outside and it's 75 and overcast - hopefully some sun will come tomorrow!

Hopehannah
May 5th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Coastal NC -- I was a cop in Morehead City and Atlantic Beach (right after my time in the Marine Corps.) Over 40 years ago! First female police officer in the county and one of the few in the state at the time.

Judy, USMC
May 5th, 2017, 04:22 PM
@ Hopehannah - Sounds like we were in the Corps at the same time! I graduated boot camp in March 1972 and retired from active duty in Sept 1992. Served mostly on the east coast (Cherry Point and New River) during the 80's. Small world. Will pm you so we can compare notes!

shirleyknot
May 5th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Judy, where are you located?

Barb, That's incredible! All that rain. We have had to cancel our trip, which was to include TX, LA, MS, KY, MO (we were going to M*) and CO. All that bad weather, it didn't make sense to leave home pulling a 5th wheel in all that mess.

Shirley, glad you now have water and hope you get your phone soon.

Me too. Its pretty quiet here without all the robo-calls to not answer. :icon_heh:

PatinValrico
May 5th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Hey y'all, send some of that rain down here. We are high and dry. Or at least dry. Stay safe.

Kgrammiecaz
May 5th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Hey y'all, send some of that rain down here. We are high and dry. Or at least dry. Stay safe.

How true. We are dryer than a bone. I do not wish bad things on anyone but we need some storms. I work for an engineering firm. Our work has slowed to crawl. Except for extra fire inspections.

But we really do need some rain. Allergy season is the pits here right now.

auntiemern
May 5th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Stay safe Judy. We are just now able to maneuver around after all of the flooding we have had. Finally stopped raining early evening yesterday. Hoping to stay dry for a few days before the next round comes in. Give Steve a hug from me too. Wishing you both the best with all of this weather we are having lately.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 13th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I agree, first we prayed winter would end, then the cold has stayed and rain, rain, rain. Luckily we were not flooded out, but many people in Canada'scapital have been. Worst flood in 100 years.

Sherri6474
May 13th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Was any of this severe weather near Atlantic Beach? My DD, two grand kids and I spent a week there and just came home this past Sunday. We enjoy the area so much.