PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis cancer update, news mostly good

jjkaiser
April 27th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I haven't updated in awhile. My dh was diagnosed 6 months ago with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He just finished all his chemo treatments and the side effects weren't too bad. He tolerated it pretty well and feels good. Last week he had a cat scan and it showed most of the lymph nodes were gone or shrunk considerably, good news. But there is one node in the chest that appears "unchanged" so they want to schedule a pet scan soon. The oncologist thought the radiology report was a little ambiguous and that the spot near the lung could actually be a shadow of residual infection from bronchitis he had about 3 weeks ago. He is going to call the radiologist and have him take a second look at that spot. The next step will either be maintenance immunotherapy every 3 months for 2 years, or radiation. Our hope is to be able to avoid radiation because we are concerned that it might cause permanent damage to the heart. I suspect we will be making this decision in the next 2-3 weeks or so. It is not an easy choice. The oncologist seems to be leaning towards the maintenance route but I am pretty sure that the radiation oncologist will be pushing radiation.

Otherwise Rick did tell our 3 daughters right before Christmas and they took it pretty well. He has decided to tell his three sisters so that is tomorrow over lunch. He just thinks they should know, and I agree. We signed our Wills about a year ago and last week signed the Advanced Directive that states your wishes if hospitalized and don't want to be hooked up to life support. I typed that document personally. Rick is an attorney so he was very picky about the wording and edited it many times to get it just right. That was just about the worst thing for me emotionally --everything just kind of hit me all at once so I am glad that is done. What prompted writing that was my MIL had to pull the plug on her husband about 10 years ago when he had a very bad outcome after heart surgery and he did not have that document. It was just heartbreaking what they went through so Rick vowed that would never happen to him, but he kind of dragged his feet on getting it done. The cancer diagnosis made him just get it done.

Sorry for the long post here. I am feeling pretty upbeat but that is my personality in genrral. I always think everything is going to be okay and I am not too much of a worrier. Once in awhile I wonder if I just live in a constant state of denial though.

Caroline T.
April 27th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Praying that the PET scan will bring good news and that Rick is on the road to a full victory over this disease.

Star lover
April 27th, 2017, 12:33 PM
So thankful for you that things are looking better. Hoping and praying the pet scan has great results! Thanks for the update.

Cathy F
April 27th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Hope he continues to improve and has a full recovery!

Judy, USMC
April 27th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Hoping for the best possible outcome. I think you have the right attitude!

amartin24
April 27th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear he is finally sharing this with family members. Praying for the best possible outcome from tests.

pcbatiks
April 27th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the update. I was wondering how he was doing a few days ago.

Glad to hear the good news in his report. Praying for a good report with the PET scan.

Happy to hear that your DH is telling the family.

Big hug of comfort to you for the stress of last week.

mommadeb
April 27th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Glad you updated us. Sounds like things are going in the right direction and I pray they continue to do so.

auntiemern
April 27th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the update. Prayers that the outcome of the pet scan are good news.

Monique
April 27th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. Sometimes it just helps getting it all 'off your chest'. Prayers for a speedy recovery for your darling husband.

Bubby
April 27th, 2017, 02:50 PM
I'm hoping and praying for a good report on the PET scan. (((HUGS to you Jocelyn))). It's good the Rick is telling the family.

JCY
April 27th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the update. You were wise to get those Advanced Directives in place. As a nurse, I've seen so many sad situations where people did not plan ahead. I worked in rehab for 10 yrs., where I took care of many stroke & brain injury survivors. It's sad when a 40 y.o. mom has a stroke & cannot speak. She had a 5 y.o. dau. & lived with a boyfriend who was an alcoholic. So many of our stroke survivors were in that 35 to 50 yrs. of age group. Advanced Directives aren't even on the radar for younger people. So many think it's never going to happen to them. But it's good to have those ducks lined up & that your family knows your wishes. But if you have your wishes in writing, family & medical staff are obligated to follow those directives.

I hope you get a good report from the PET scan & no radiation will be needed. Hang in there.

bubba
April 27th, 2017, 04:05 PM
I think the results sound great! MM had one lymph nodes that also appeared to be enlarged. It was not big enough to biopsy. When they did the first surgery, all lymph nodes in his abdomen were removed and all came back clear. I'm sure you will have the same outcome.

I'm glad he told your children and will be telling his sisters soon. It's important they know.

Iris Girl
April 27th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Hoping for the best outcome. May he have a clean scan and a clean scan.

cv quilter
April 27th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Thinking of you and DH and wishing and hoping the PET scan comes out good. What a frightening time this is for the two of you, but hopefully you can stay positive and know that friends are sending positive thoughts to you both.

stationarymom
April 28th, 2017, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the update.I hope they find that the spot is just from the infection he had and all else goes well from there.You know half of the battle is attitude and it sounds like you both are doing well there.I will keep you in my prayers.

sew-what2015
April 28th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the update. Prayers for both of you. All the best.

grammaterry
April 28th, 2017, 10:23 AM
It sounds like your life philosophy is working. We will continue to pray for you and DH and things will turn out the way they are supposed to.

WendyI
April 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM
So glad I got to see this update and that he's on his way down the other side of the hill. Hope the radiation goes well and everything gets cleared! Sending lots of positive thoughts and care your way! Glad he finally told the family. xox

Midge
April 29th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the update on your hubby. Wonderful news that he is responding so well to treatment. Glad he is finally able to tell your family. I'm sure they are glad he shared this.

GuitarGramma
April 30th, 2017, 01:58 AM
So glad to hear the update. I pray for your hubby every day, but haven't known his first name until now. It will be easy to remember, as there are a whole slew of Ricks in our family.