PDA

View Full Version : RV Campgrounds in Hamilton, MO

cv quilter
April 21st, 2017, 11:22 AM
We are going to Hamilton for 3 or 4 days in May and are wondering if any of you have stayed in a campground there? I recall someone mentioning a campground in one of the threads about the retreat there. If so, would you please share which one you stayed at? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Mom23
April 21st, 2017, 12:34 PM
When I attended the retreat one of the ladies stayed at Wallace State Park. I don't think it's very far from Hamilton.

https://mostateparks.com/campgrounds/wallace-state-park

LauraP
April 21st, 2017, 12:47 PM
We stayed at Wallace State Park and it was wonderful. Quiet, clean and cheap. They have a swimming (fishing?) lake just outside the gate. Still on Park property. Make sure and make reservations. Google Missouri state parks and check it out.

cv quilter
April 21st, 2017, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Ladies. I did google it and they are full all of May and all of June. Ugh. I am going to call and see if they have a cancellation list. I appreciate your responses.

Wyora
April 21st, 2017, 03:22 PM
I'll say thank you for the response as well. My parents are planning an across the country RV trip in the fall, and I'm trying to convince my father to surprise my mother with a stop at Missouri Star.

LauraP
April 21st, 2017, 07:22 PM
You might check out the other state park that is right close to there. Can't remember the name of it. Also, about an hour away in St. Joseph there is a really nice state park and a lot of really interesting things to see.

cv quilter
April 21st, 2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Laura. Will look at St Joseph's. I sent an email to M* and got a nice response from David Litherman, who gave me a list of hotels, RV places (American Legion in Hamilton is one and Fred is a member) and hopefully we will find some place to "land" for a few nights. I really want to see M*! :)

cv quilter
April 21st, 2017, 07:35 PM
Laura, we did find a Hamilton City Park, but have to call to get any kind of info. I think it's totally dry camp and is near a golf course, and also has some fishing. Gonna call and get some info.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 21st, 2017, 07:36 PM
Tori, GuitarGramma, stayed at the American Legion lot last fall. I think it has electic hookups, but I don't know what else. Is Crowder State Park close enough? It seems like it is about 30 miles north.

cv quilter
April 22nd, 2017, 01:10 AM
Jean, we will look to see where Crowder State Park is, too. Thanks.

Simply Quilting
April 22nd, 2017, 08:05 AM
Crowder State Park is close by. It is just outside of Trenton, Missouri and an easy to get to Hamilton. From Trenton you take Highway 6 to Gallatin, Missouri and turn south onto Highway 13 and drive into Hamilton. It is less than a 45 minute trip. Also so other things to see while you are in that direction is Jamesport, Missouri where there are several Amish stores, antique stores, quilt shops and a grocery store that freshly cuts deli meats and cheeses.

Mom23
April 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM
Is the American Legion located on the main road just down from Missouri Star? That would be a great way to "camp" if all you really need is a parking lot and electricity. Will put that on my "things to remember" list.

Tori, GuitarGramma, stayed at the American Legion lot last fall. I think it has electic hookups, but I don't know what else. Is Crowder State Park close enough? It seems like it is about 30 miles north.

GuitarGramma
April 23rd, 2017, 07:24 PM
HI! I did in fact stay at the American Legion campground for last year's Fall Forum Retreat. The gentleman who helped me, Gordon, could not have been nicer. I felt so welcome.

The campground is very affordable, something like $20/night. It is electric hook up only, but Gordon helped me fill my fresh water tank which was precisely enough to get me through the retreat. Actually, I had plenty of fresh water, I was more limited by my gray water holding tank. I just had to have a shower every day, silly me.

The area is peaceful and quiet, and being a California girl, I was a little worried about being all alone there. But it turned out to be just plain peaceful and quiet, not scary. I love Hamilton!

I walked to the Retreat Center every day and asked someone to drive me back every night (thank you to Sandy, Jean, and Jenny and Al Doan). It was a lovely, pleasant walk.

If you're interested, PM me for Gordon's contact info.