PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago...

shirleyknot
April 19th, 2017, 12:51 PM
I bought a lovely adjustable cheese slicer. A very necessary item when you love cheese as much as I do. In that time, I had to repair it twice when the wire broke, because I couldn't find another like it. I didn't like any of the others I could find. Yesterday, I found another like mine and ordered it. Good thing too, as the one I have is about done for. I'm a happy cheeseaholic!

Granny Judy
April 19th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Good for you.... 30 years service is something to be proud of.. and a RETIREMENT party is in order!!! Give that cheese slicer a place of honor on your kitchen wall......

My little cheese slicer is still going after 20 years and still has its original wire. We are not big cheese fans, but I love a grilled cheese sandwich on the week ends....

seaturtle
April 19th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Isn't it great to get so long of service from an item? They don't make things like they used to so I'd probably hang onto that slicer in case the new one isn't the same.

Iris Girl
April 19th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I too am a cheese nut. I still have the one om and I got so many many years ago when I was only 12 or 13. mmm that's a long time because I will be 57 this summer. LOL had to laugh when I asked hubby to get it out of the drawer for me the other day. He has never been one to pay attention to anything kitchen related and was totally clueless as to what it was and how it works.

Hulamoon
April 19th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I'm a cheese lover too! I was thinking what I had that old and it's a wooden paddle, not flat though. It was given to me when I first started in the baking field. I used it for choux dough (cream puffs/eclairs). My first chef was French and I had to make it by hand. Thank goodness my next jobs had mixers!!

shirleyknot
April 19th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I have 2 crock bowls I make bread in, a couple glass casseroles, 2 baked bean pots and a pyrex cake pan that are older than my slicer.

MaryUK
April 19th, 2017, 03:01 PM
It's great to have something that lasts!! I still use a stove enamelled casserole dish my mum gave me when i got married 41 years ago!!

Cathy F
April 19th, 2017, 03:24 PM
They don't make things like that anymore that last 30 years! Congratulations on finding another one.

Heather
April 19th, 2017, 04:23 PM
OK Shirley, will you share the info for the slicer? Never found one that held up worth a darn for our family. We go through a lot of cheese.

shirleyknot
April 19th, 2017, 05:52 PM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EKCO-8-Adjustable-Cheese-Slicer/19272580?actio
If that works. Yes, its walmart

Sandy Navas
April 19th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I think the oldest thing I have still hanging around and working is my husband.

JCY
April 19th, 2017, 06:53 PM
I eat a lot of cheese, too, but I don't have a special slicer. I just use a paring knife. I'm still using a hand held electric mixer that I got as a wedding gift when I married my 1st husb. in 1966 as well as the copper bottomed stainless steel cookware we got as gifts. Our GE elec. dryer also still is going. DH bought that in 1974 before we married. He's replaced the heating coil once as well as a belt, but it's still working. I bet we've had our Maytag washer at least 30 yrs.; it's still going strong. We had to replace our kitchen elec. range a few yrs. ago. It doesn't have as much chrome on it. I had to replace 2 of the burners within a couple yrs. Yup, they just don't make things to last like they used to.

cv quilter
April 19th, 2017, 06:53 PM
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EKCO-8-Adjustable-Cheese-Slicer/19272580?actio
If that works. Yes, its walmart Oh My Gosh, Shirley! That's the one we always loved. Had it for 43 of our 45 years married. And about 2 years ago the wire gave out and the screw wouldn't hold tight anymore! Thanks, Shirley. We have had 2 different types of cheese slicers (Fred is a cheeseaholic, too) and they aren't anywhere near the slicer this one is. I'll be ordering one. In fact, next time at Walmart, I'll look and see if by chance it's in the store. Thank you. Amazing the things that happen and what we learn on the Forum :)

SuzyQue
April 19th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Over a year ago, we broke our old cheese slicer. I tried in vain to find one we liked to replace it. I actually bought 3 different kinds, but no love! Last fall on a road trip to Wisconsin, we found one just like our old one and for $2 we could get 6 extra wires! I snatched it up and instant love! I wish I had bought 3 more for the kids' homes.

Hulamoon
April 19th, 2017, 07:10 PM
I have 2 crock bowls I make bread in, a couple glass casseroles, 2 baked bean pots and a pyrex cake pan that are older than my slicer.

I have a bowl from 1979 from a cousin when I moved here. It's a handmade huge salad type bowl. I usually use it for parties. I don't lend it out to even my dd's. Funny how we attached to things.

shirleyknot
April 19th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Oh My Gosh, Shirley! That's the one we always loved. Had it for 43 of our 45 years married. And about 2 years ago the wire gave out and the screw wouldn't hold tight anymore! Thanks, Shirley. We have had 2 different types of cheese slicers (Fred is a cheeseaholic, too) and they aren't anywhere near the slicer this one is. I'll be ordering one. In fact, next time at Walmart, I'll look and see if by chance it's in the store. Thank you. Amazing the things that happen and what we learn on the Forum :)

Happy to help! I just cannot get along without my handy slicer.

Carlie Wolf
April 19th, 2017, 08:07 PM
I like that it has the button where you can change the width of the slice. I have one that a friend gave me. She was cleaning out her kitchen drawers. I use it whenever I have cheese. I didn't notice if it had one of the buttons. I'm going to take a look when I get downstairs. Oh, I hope it does, that would be really handy

shirleyknot
April 19th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Thats my favorite part. I want a thick slice for grilled cheese, but a much thinner one for a ham sandwich.

Carlie Wolf
April 19th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Shirley I checked mine when I got supper ready. BoooooHoooooo, it doesn't have the button. Mine cuts pretty thin and I prefer thicker slices of cheddar on my crackers. :icon_sniff:

K. McEuen
April 19th, 2017, 11:20 PM
That one from Walmart is the same one my mom had while I was growing up. Even the same brand. I had one, different brand, that lasted a couple years and fell apart. Hadn't seen Ekco brand in forever.

shirleyknot
April 19th, 2017, 11:26 PM
That one from Walmart is the same one my mom had while I was growing up. Even the same brand. I had one, different brand, that lasted a couple years and fell apart. Hadn't seen Ekco brand in forever.

I spent several YEARS trying to find this!