PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in my weight loss....

WendyI
April 18th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Welp...I wish I could say it was all me and I am so awesome at losing weight but alas that is not the case at all.

Everyone has been bugging me to go to my doctor because 50 lbs in 2.5 months is kind of a lot. So yesterday I went and she noticed from a previous blood test that my thyroid levels were high. Not sure the number. So she sent me for more blood work and home I went.

Had insomnia all night and the last time I looked at the clock it was nearly 4 a.m. Decided to take the morning off so I could get some sleep and just as I was finally dozing off, my doctors office called.

I have hyperthroidism. yay. :0 So this is why I have been losing the weight and running to the bathroom constantly and taking naps on my desk! Geepers! I feel like I am falling apart! I'm only 51 and I have Type 11 Diabetes, Gerd, Arthritis, Anxiety/depression, and now this! So off to the endocrinologist soon to find out what's causing it. ugh.

Time for a serious lifestyle change. I am going to start swimming at least three days a week. I see my surgeon for knee replacement on May 1st and will be on a cancellation list. Hopefully that will happen soon and I can get back to living life!

pcbatiks
April 18th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Wendy, wishing you all the best with the medical issues and lots of encouragement starting your exercise routine. You can do it!

Heather
April 18th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Wendy, you are not alone, I'm running out of fingers to count the stuff wrong with me. I am a weak link in the herd, lol. Sounds like you have a good attitude about things, though, and I wish you the best.

Monique
April 18th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Wendy, at least now you know what caused your rapid weight loss. I have hypothyroidism and am on pills for the rest of my life. Getting you on the right medication will take care of some those problems.

One day at a time and one foot in front of the other.

Sandy Navas
April 18th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Can you share though? I'd take it if I could get 50 off!!

jjkaiser
April 18th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Me too!! Hopefully you can resolve your insomnia issues. Sounds to me like the weight loss might just be your new normal, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

CraftySweetPeas
April 18th, 2017, 11:27 PM

RIGHT!?!?!?! Sorry to hear this is a disease...:(. Awww, I hope you KNOW I'm joking (but a bit jealous at the 50# loss). ;)
Your Endocrinologist will get you back in sync real quick.

Kgrammiecaz
April 19th, 2017, 12:00 AM
I had hypertyroidism too. They killed off mine, now I am hypo and take meds forever for it. Was recently diagnosed with diabeties too. On metformin. But I am not one of the lickier sickies. No weight loss. I still say its another issue. Of course not being able to exercise tons is a big part, i have fibromyalgia too. Omg. I sound terrible. But I am not. I deal with it all and live as best I can and try hard to not let any of it get in the way. A positive attitude does help. And you surely have that. I have recenlty changed my diet and did lose 10 pounds. But it stopped there. Argh is all I can say.

auntiemern
April 19th, 2017, 12:51 AM
Well at least you got an answer....not the best, but not the worst either. Just follow doctors orders and take care of yourself. It stinks being sick or in pain all the time....how well I know this.

Simply Quilting
April 19th, 2017, 12:54 AM
I am glad that you went to the doctor and got checked out. Generally, with hyperthyroid, they will kill of the thyroid which makes you hypothyroid and you take medication the rest of your life. As far as medication goes, some people can not handle the synthetic thyroid medication and need the natural medication like Armour thyroid. There is a generic brand but some don't do well with it either. It can take a while to get your medication levels right as both the T4 and T3 need to be tested. Sometimes getting the thyroid levels to normal can help with other medical issues like depression.

Hulamoon
April 19th, 2017, 12:59 AM
I agree it's good to have an answer. I was reading up on it and it seems to effect women more and it could be hereditary. Does it run in your family?

Star lover
April 19th, 2017, 06:57 AM
My sister wa diagnosed with Graves' disease a couple of years ago. She had symptoms for years and years and would never do anything about it. Finally she went. She had let it go so far that she had to take a radioactive pill to kill her thyroid and now she's on synthetic. So good for you in going sooner than later. Waiting can only lead to worse. But am sooo happy for all the weight you did lose. I know it feels great! Hopefully soon they'll get you in great health!

Iris Girl
April 19th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Good to have an answer. It could be worse. My Mom also had hyperthroidism. They gave her 1/2 a radioactive pill then 1/2 of the remaining 1/2 that did the trick for her so she was not on that med for life. Take care of yourself and (((hugs))).

Bubby
April 19th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I'm glad you found out what caused such a dramatic weight loss. My DD went through that for a spell and she got down to 93 pounds. Her thyroid medication is balanced now but she has to have it monitored regularly, and so will you. You are young enough to get a handle on your medical issues but it will require discipline. I know you can do this, Wendy. (((HUGS)))

Jean Sewing Machine
April 19th, 2017, 08:58 AM
So glad you found the answer to what's causing the weight loss. Good luck in seeking treatment!

grammaterry
April 19th, 2017, 10:33 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of all your ill health. Finding the cause is half the battle. Try mind over matter concentration. Take charge of your nutrition. Don't rely on pills as the only way to solve this

GaGa
April 19th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Wendy, so sorry for your health problems but it sounds like you are approaching it with the right attitude. Getting older is not for sissies! I find swimming is great for the mind and body. It seems like a lot of us on this forum have a variety of health issues and I am no exception but being positive is half the battle! You're addressing the problem and that's what's important! Hang in there and know you'll always have friends here to lean on!

WendyI
April 19th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Well unless you develop hyperthyroidism I'm not sure what to tell ya! LOL!. I have actually been eating a LOT less...I eat breakfast every day and have cut out most dairy and almost all carbs (not entirely though). I also have a matcha tea every morning...supposed to increase the metabolism.

RIGHT!?!?!?! Sorry to hear this is a disease...:(. Awww, I hope you KNOW I'm joking (but a bit jealous at the 50# loss). ;)
Your Endocrinologist will get you back in sync real quick.

I know you are joking. ;)

I am glad that you went to the doctor and got checked out. Generally, with hyperthyroid, they will kill of the thyroid which makes you hypothyroid and you take medication the rest of your life. As far as medication goes, some people can not handle the synthetic thyroid medication and need the natural medication like Armour thyroid. There is a generic brand but some don't do well with it either. It can take a while to get your medication levels right as both the T4 and T3 need to be tested. Sometimes getting the thyroid levels to normal can help with other medical issues like depression.

I do NOT want to be hypo....that usually means weight gain and I need to get this weight off! I told my doc...no treatment until I am at my goal weight! LOL! But I'm a little scared of the bulging eyeballs that can come with graves disease if that's what it is...so might not be able to get there.

I agree it's good to have an answer. I was reading up on it and it seems to effect women more and it could be hereditary. Does it run in your family?

It kind of does. My mom has hyopthyroidism...so still defective thyroid? No idea what they do for her for it though.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and well wishes. I will be glad to get it under control as the insomnia and tiredness is getting annoying. I also have the muscle weakness so that's not fun either. One day at a time I guess. Thanks again everyone for your support! xoxoxxo

Monique
April 19th, 2017, 07:29 PM
YOU can do this Wendy.

Grandma G
April 20th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Wendy - it's good to know you were able to find what was wrong. I have hypothyroidism and it's no fun, either. Weight gain, hair loss, sluggish. Yuk. I am on medication but don't really see a reversal of symptoms except for sluggishness. I joined Weight Watchers and have dropped 23 pounds in the last couple of months. Also, because of a knee injury I can't walk easily or use the treadmill. Bought a recumbent exercise bike and love it. No strain on the body. Keep us posted on your health status. Good to see you post. Take care.

SallyO'Sews
April 20th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Wendy, dear, remember that identifying a problem is the first step to solving it. Wishing you well, and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Big ole' quilty hugs to you, dear one!