PDA

View Full Version : Guess I'll be joining the vintage machine group

Cowgirl quilter
April 17th, 2017, 07:17 PM
My DH and I stopped by a local business today, I am not sure how you would classify it. Mostly second hand, everything from hardware store items to older glassware and vintage items of various types to just about anything you can imagine. Large warehouse area plus a lot outside that DH likes to prowl around in. Anyway, sitting OUTSIDE , wrapped in plastic, was a 201 Singer sewing machine in its original fold up table. Took a quick peek under the plastic to get the serial number and see that the bobbin case is there and the mechanism turns freely. Went in and asked what they wanted for it - they said it had sat around in their back room forever and they needed the space, and would take $10.00 for it. SOLD! Can't wait to get it home and cleaned up. The electric chord appears to be in good shape, no foot pedal though, but looks like they are available online. Singer site says it is a 1951 model. So excited, just had to share!

Monique
April 17th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the club!! And what a bargain.

Here is some information.

http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm

KarenC
April 17th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Wow! What a find. Congrats to you.

BobW
April 17th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Congratulations!

Cowgirl quilter
April 17th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Update - the foot pedal is there, attached to the inside of the cabinet on the right side. Could it be meant to be used as a knee run pedal? Not sure how that would work. My Mom's old singer (which I wish I still had!) had a knee lever that she liked to use, but this is just a button. Off to do some more research...

Cowgirl quilter
April 17th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Home, not cleaned up yet. 142133

cv quilter
April 17th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Hope your new baby turns out to work and run and piece MANY quilts. How fun to find something like this.

Sandy Navas
April 18th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I have a 201 and absolutely love the thing. Your foot pedal probably pops out of that holder on the side. It's my go-to machine when I have my embroidery machine working and want to do some piecing. Great buy! Let me know if I can help you with any repairs, parts, and just maintenance.

seaturtle
April 18th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Congratulations!

QuiltingRN
April 18th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Awesome! I live my vintage machines! I just bought a Singer 66 with the Lotus design handcrank.

MHG Winnower
April 19th, 2017, 01:47 AM
While I love technology and have a couple of incredible machines, I also have a number of vintage ones. Like fabric stashes, it's addictive! Don't have a 201. There is a group here on the forum for vintage machine folks but it doesn't seem to be too active. I've done restorative work on my two 66s (one red-eye, the other egyptian - both treadles), the Featherweights, a 99K which is beyond lovely and a 185K which is green! Also have a Wheeler Wilson treadle gifted to me from a friend which needs some TLC. Gotta love the old girls, no bells and whistles, but their stitching is incredible and their bodies beautiful. ENJOY the 201.

redcaboose1717
April 19th, 2017, 06:02 AM
I have my Grandma's old machine....it's a Capitol Brand. I don't know much about it....other than the fact my dad purchased for her with his first paying job at 14 yrs old. I have named her "Frances" after grandma....but she sat out in a cold garage, and I am not sure if there's any fixing her ( ? ) If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do with her, please advise. I don't want to throw her out...but I am positive she can't be used of course !
I had an old Singer that belonged to my DH Terry's grandma.....but my SIL asked to use her, and come to find out, she sold her ! I was so upset over that...because that sewing machine was in great working order !

MHG Winnower
April 19th, 2017, 06:16 AM
Google Capitol Brand sewing machine - there are a number of sites out there; some a bit dated. But it might give you some ideas about the machine. I'm assuming you know the model number. After a quick look, it appears that they were made in Japan.
There appear to be some on eBay, too. Maybe more recent models?
Also, this article/blog, although dated, provided some info on vintage machines. I know that many were patterned off of Singers, but this also brings to light that parts may be interchangeable. Maybe if you can identify it clearly your local Singer repair shop might be able to get 'er going. http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/2006/05/japanese-clones-of-40s-50s-and-60s.html
I have my Grandma's old machine....it's a Capitol Brand. I don't know much about it....other than the fact my dad purchased for her with his first paying job at 14 yrs old. I have named her "Frances" after grandma....but she sat out in a cold garage, and I am not sure if there's any fixing her ( ? ) If anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do with her, please advise. I don't want to throw her out...but I am positive she can't be used of course !
I had an old Singer that belonged to my DH Terry's grandma.....but my SIL asked to use her, and come to find out, she sold her ! I was so upset over that...because that sewing machine was in great working order !