PDA

View Full Version : .....the saga of MM

bubba
April 15th, 2017, 03:44 AM
As you know, this has not been a good week. It also has been a worse week trying to deal with a stubborn man. Monday night was the last time MM ate a meal. He tried on Tuesday and that was when he threw it up (did I mention p@ does not handle puke well??). I wanted to take him in then because I, being the expert nurse, knew something was wrong. Tuesday turn to Wednesday and he at a couple small things and he still refused to call or go see the doctor.

Thursday he was crankier than ever. I told him I was getting scared, that I felt there was something wrong with him that was not good and I was afraid he might have an infection. I have been taking his temperature all week, and he had none, so I let him convince me he didn't. He has been eating whatever he wants, as long as he was eating I didn't care what it was. He wanted pizza last night, so he ordered one and I picked it up. Got home, I ate a quick slice while he took only one bite of his. He went to take another and couldn't. He did not look good and asked me for a Compazine (to settle his stomach).

He finally hung his head and I knew he had given up the fight. I asked what was wrong and he said he had told himself if he was not able to keep food down Thursday night that he would let me take him to urgent care. I got him ready to go and pulled around front to get him into the car. When we go there, he was taken back immediately and they started running tests, blood, ekg, cat scans and another ekg after chest pains. After the cat scan, they called in the urologist and he came and talked to us and said he was going to need surgery and would be admitted to the hospital.

Well, the hospital they were putting him in was full and we had to wait a couple hours before a bed was available. I kid you not when I tell you the room we were in had a night stand, the hospital bed and a fold down cot for me and the room was full! There was no bathroom, there was no window. The door could not be closed because the bed was in the way.

Now, I know nothing other than what I was told of this next part. Our youngest daughter was with us and she let me have the cot to get some rest. I fell asleep immediately. Apparently, there was a male patient down the hall. Old, confused and did not want to be there. He started yelling 'hey!' and in my sleep I'd answer him. Then he would ask something else and I would answer him. This went on for a couple hours. At one point, Tiffany asked her dad if he wanted her to take his glasses off and I piped up and told her 'no you can't take my glasses...how do you expect me to see anything?'. Needless to say, I have no recollection and they did not get much sleep because they were laughing at me.

We were waiting to get a surgical spot when all of a sudden two orderlies showed up and said it was time to go! It was all we could do to keep up with them as they whisked him down to pre-op. I made a point of telling them that he had changed his bag, it was brand new and would be fine. Shortly after that, they took him away. It was a quick surgery and lasted only two hours and he was up in his room shortly after that.

The abscess they removed was the size of a good sized avocado.

This is when things went downhill. During surgery, someone in the operating room removed the brand new bag and when they replaced it, the did it all incorrectly, causing him to be in extreme pain. There were no nurses on the floor that knew anything about stomas or changing out a bag. I could do it, and so could Heather, but he did not want us to because of the pain. At one point, he had two Percocet pills and 4mg of morphine and it took an hour before the pain was gone, it was that bad.

All this time, I am insisting we need a stoma nurse and I'm trying to get in touch with the one we deal with 40 miles away. It was at least two hours before I finally reached her. This was the part Caroline showed up at and I know she will vouch for me that I was at my wits end. I was trying to keep the girls calm, even though they are 36 and 39, they were very worried about their dad, as was I. Caroline spent time with Tiffany and gave her a shoulder to cry one (♥ Caroline!!) and still we were trying to find a wound care nurse who could help us. Finally they moved us to another floor that I think is surgical patients and bless the nurse in charge, she was able to get that bag off him and changed with help from MM and me instructing her. She had done colostomy and ileostomy bags, and while similar, they are different from urostomys. It was such a relief to see the care she gave him and we were both very grateful. There was a nurse helper that was very interested and was helping out when she could. I think MM wanted to hop out of bed and give her a smooch he was so happy!

That was at 10pm when it finally was over and done with and I had told him I would go home...it's only five minutes and I can see the hospital from our house. So here I sit trying to calm down, hoping he is resting comfortably and finally sleeping.

He will be in the hospital about five days.

Thank you to everyone for your extended hugs, for your love, your thoughts and your prayers and for sending Caroline to us. Believe me when I tell you how much I appreciate all of you!

Mimi_Howard
April 15th, 2017, 03:55 AM
Sweet Dreams!

PatinValrico
April 15th, 2017, 04:04 AM
Good morning my dear, My prayers are with you and your family at this most difficult of times. I am encouraged to hear that MM has been admitted to the hospital. He will be cared for by the folks there and hopefully you will be able to rest and gather your physical and emotional strengths. We are all here to support you and are a click away. Please keep us updated as time allows. Peace be with you, my friend.

KPH
April 15th, 2017, 05:20 AM
I've been thinking about you and yours ever since your post. Please take care of yourself while he's being taken care of. Get plenty of rest.
Lifting prayers for peace, comfort and healing. (A cure for stubborn man syndrome would be nice, too)

Andrea F
April 15th, 2017, 06:09 AM
I've been thinking about you guys all day. I really do hope that is the end of complications and he's on the mend now. Sending more hugs.

Carol336
April 15th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Oh my goodness....I am so sorry Pat. Hopefully this will be the end to all these complications....poor MM has definitely had enough already!!! Sending hugs and prayers for MM, you, your daughter and family.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 15th, 2017, 07:10 AM
Thanks for sharing the whole story. I'm glad your girls and Caroline were there to give you moral support, so needed when you have to face these very scary moments. I offer continued prayers for you all during this difficult time.

sew-what2015
April 15th, 2017, 07:55 AM
I cannot begin to imagine the stress you have endured, I am relieved to learn that your MM finally got the help he needed. Such a difficult time for all of you. Prayers continue.

KarenC
April 15th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Oh my, what a week you have had. Prayers and hugs for you and your family. Hopefully, you can get some rest today and MM is finally on the mend. You are a very song and courageous woman.

Monique
April 15th, 2017, 08:23 AM
I can not imagine what you are going through. If I could be there to help you, I would in a heartbeat. But alas, there is nothing I can do for you from this far away but know that you and MM are in my thoughts and prayers.

Try and rest while he is in hospital if that is possible at all.

shirleyknot
April 15th, 2017, 09:06 AM
I think Murphy(s Law) has moved from my house to yours.

grammaterry
April 15th, 2017, 10:26 AM
You are admired for your stamina , love and care of your mm!

Ginny B
April 15th, 2017, 11:02 AM
What an ordeal you guys have been through. Let's hope and pray the road to recovery gets smoother. Keep us posted when you get the chance and try to get some rest. (((((Hugs)))))

JaniceR
April 15th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I can truly not even imagine how stressed you all were trying to get him some help and relief from his pain! What an awful experience you have all been through! Absolutely awful - but I am so happy you had a caring nurse that was able to finally help!

Prayers will continue. I hope you are able to get some rest and that MM feels better and things go well from now going forward!!

Kgrammiecaz
April 15th, 2017, 11:42 AM
You are one tough cookie. I cannot imagine dealing with all this. And so sorry your hubby had to go through all this pain. Praying you are on the right road now. On to an easier healing.

Vonnie
April 15th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Big cyber hugs coming your way.

Hopefully this is the last rough spot for MM and your family.

seaturtle
April 15th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. What an incredible ordeal you two have gone through. I am praying that this is the final hurdle on MM's road to recovery. Try to get some rest when you can to keep your strength up. You've done an amazing job, Nurse Nancy! Hugs and prayers for you both and to Caroline for being there for you!

Grandma G
April 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Thank you for letting us know. It is just incredible what MM, you and your family has been through. My prayers are with you all and hope that this is the last of these setbacks.

pcbatiks
April 15th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Hoping and praying for a quiet, restful weekend for you, MM and family. And prayers that he will continue to get stronger and feel better with each day.

Thanks for updating us. Hugs to you.

auntiemern
April 15th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Continued prayers for all of you. Thanks for sharing your story, and thank God for Caroline.

ilive2craft2
April 15th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Hugs and prayers continue. I think this experience will have mm check in with the doc or at least a nurse if something unusual happens again. Praying that no other complications come up, but the sooner they are looked at the easier the solution. So sorry you all had to have all of that happen! Get some rest while he is in the hospital.

JCY
April 15th, 2017, 01:43 PM
I hear your frustration. Most nurses know colostomy & ileostomy bag/skin care, but not as many are experienced with urostomy care. I'm thankful you found a caring & efficient nurse who could help. In my nursing experience, I've maybe had 1 or 2 patients who had urostomies, & most could do the care themselves. I hope things will be on the mend now. Try to get rested up when you can. Prayers continue.

EnumclawGramma
April 15th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Pat what hospital?
Praying for you guys, thank God for Caroline!

bubba
April 15th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Pat what hospital?

We are in St. Joes, 7A8.

I can't believe I just woke up at 1145!!! Once I am fully clear in the head, I'll take a quick bath and head over there. Plus my phone died, so I'm getting that charged up.

bubba
April 15th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Pat what hospital?

We are in St. Joes, 7A8.

I can't believe I just woke up at 1145!!! Once I am fully clear in the head, I'll take a quick bath and head over there. Plus my phone died, so I'm getting that charged up.

K. McEuen
April 15th, 2017, 05:05 PM
I can't be the only one thinking "they should have kept him in the hospital the first time until the drain was out." I sure hope this is the end of all of MM's (and your) troubles. You two have had more than your fair share through all of this.

bubba
April 15th, 2017, 05:22 PM
I can't be the only one thinking "they should have kept him in the hospital the first time until the drain was out." I sure hope this is the end of all of MM's (and your) troubles. You two have had more than your fair share through all of this.

This has nothing to do with the drain. It was not even on that side. It is possible there is a small hole in his bowel, but they were unable to see anything during surgery yesterday because of what is going on in there right now and also from the first surgery. He will have this drain in for at least three weeks and by doing that, they will be able to tell if indeed there is a small leak, which will mean another procedure to correct that.

Believe me when I tell you he really is so much better....his laugh, smile and teasing nature are back and I have not seen any of them in a few weeks!

KarenC
April 15th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Pat, so happy to hear that he is back on the mend. Laughs and smiles are always a good sign. And you got some much needed rest. Here's to the rest of the day being a good one!

K. McEuen
April 15th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Good grief! He has had enough problems without getting hit with this, totally unrelated stuff.

Mary Lynn
April 15th, 2017, 07:32 PM
What an awful ordeal for your family. Hopefully things will improve from now on.

Sharyn J
April 15th, 2017, 08:11 PM
You two have sure gone through a lot these last few weeks. Glad that he's on the mend and hopefully will heal quickly. Continued prayers and healing thoughts for you and your family.

Caroline T.
April 15th, 2017, 09:05 PM
I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better. I hope his laughter is contagious and that you and the girls have caught that bug!

So does the new room have a window and a door that will close? I swear that the last one was so small I think it use to be a storage closet, and would depress anyone.

sew-what2015
April 15th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Glad to here that he is more like himself.

SallyO'Sews
April 15th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Oh, Pat! Lots of hugs to you, dear one. Hope MM is better in the morning, and that you sleep well tonight.

bubba
April 15th, 2017, 10:30 PM
I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better. I hope his laughter is contagious and that you and the girls have caught that bug!

So does the new room have a window and a door that will close? I swear that the last one was so small I think it use to be a storage closet, and would depress anyone.

Yes! New room has a window facing north. I can see the waterfront, Brown's Point, downtown, etc.

KPH
April 15th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I'm so glad he's feeling better. I'm sure his smiles and laughter have warmed your heart today. Continued prayers for you and yours.4

Rhonda K
April 15th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Wow such an ordeal for you and your husband. It seems like you have been left to deal with everything on your own as he goes through the recovery.

Check with his doctor and perhaps have home health ordered when your husband comes home this time. They will monitor the patient's pain and the bandage areas. Plus they communicate back to his doctor with reports and continuity of care.

Best wishes to both of you.

redcaboose1717
April 15th, 2017, 11:46 PM
Pat, so sorry to hear this......Will keep you in my prayers.
I am sure that things will start to get better now. ( let's hope so! )

BIG (((((HUGS)))) to you !

stationarymom
April 15th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Pat ((hugs)) to you and MM hang in there and let the Dr's and nurses take care of MM and you try to get a little rest.I hope after all this things do start to look up finally.

Bouse
April 16th, 2017, 02:37 AM
What a lot you've both been through this week. If they are keeping him in for 5 days, make sure you get sold rest in his absence.

WendyI
April 18th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Well I wish I could be there to help you also you poor thing. What a stressful thing to go through!! Sending healing love and hugs to MM and hoping you really can get some rest soon. You're no good to anyone if you're dead on your feeties! Take Care Pat! xoxoxo

mommadeb
April 18th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Wow-what craziness! Glad to hear he's feeling better and you got some rest. Take care.