PDA

View Full Version : Good Monday morning

Monique
April 10th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Good Monday morning friends. I sure am proud to be Canadian this morning. Our Woman's Curling Team won the title of World Championship a few weeks ago. They went undefeated throughout the whole tournament. Yesterday our Men's Curling Team won the same title and they also went undefeated. I was up late watching it last night.

I had a relatively quiet weekend. I worked on Saturday morning and it was busy enough. I attended a bridal shower in the afternoon. The bride's mother was great friends with my mother and it was lovely to see and talk with her. I gave the bride a Thanksgiving table runner I just happen to have on hand and 3 crocheted dishcloths.

Yesterday was a quiet day as well. I finished the top of a lap quilt I am making for the Relay for Life facebook auction. Tomorrow I will get it sandwiched. I also started a baby quilt, using the pattern New York beauty as a guide.

I have soup and homemade buns made to take with me today. It's another quilt day, we finished the big quilt last week and are starting a new one today.

The backhoe arrived sometime Saturday morning and is parked across the street. I don't know if they are starting the demolition of the burned remains today or not. I sure will be glad when it is completely gone.

Have a great day everyone. Today promises to be an extremely warm day but with rain. I think we will see rain every day until Thursday.

Star lover
April 10th, 2017, 08:12 AM
We had the best weekend as far as the weather. High 60's Saturday and sunny. 70 on Sunday and sunny! It felt great after all the rain. Today suppose to be 70 and then some rain storms tonight and tomorrow. But I was truly thankful for the sun! Didn't sew much but did some yard work. We could only go so far in our backyard because of the standing water in the middle to back if the yard. It's gonna take some time...and sun to dry up. Hope everyone is doing well today, take care.

Iris Girl
April 10th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Morning all. Finished the Butterfly Quilt yesterday. It was a nice weekend. Today should be 70's and tomorrow 80's. Got the plastic off the windows yesterday but still need to switch the curtains and the clothes out. Working on a raccoon quilt for PICU box now. Monique Grats to Canada on the curling champs men and ladies! Worked on the yard some put new border around the front flower bed, didn't like it and put the old stuff back. Will be returning that on my way to work this morning. Need more ground cover and dirt in there now. I put Bishops weed in there because I love the varigated green/white leaves , its low maintenance and spreads fairly quick. Very hard to find as all the nurseries say its too intrusive and rapid growing. Exactly why I like it the roots around the tree are so much out of the ground you really can't grow grass or flowers there and this looks great. This is what it looks like , hoping mine will get back to this soon. Have a great dayy all141855

rl2b
April 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Good Monday to all! Iris Gil, I love the Bishops Weed - it looks pretty, and it sounds like the perfect filler for your needs. ~smile~

songbird857
April 10th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Morning all :)
Beautiful here, looking at 70's for today.
Hubby and I went gallavanting on Saturday to a few thrift stores. Found an espresso maker similar to ours with an important piece that ours was missing. We bought it for parts for 4 bucks :). Also found a duplicate of our yogurt maker, so I snatched it up. We eat alot of greek yogurt around here, so it will be nice to do two batches at a time.
Today... Waxing my cart, and quilting my quilt ;)
Have a great day!!

Bubby
April 10th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Hi Everyone...Our weekend was filled with yard work and taking care of our little Olive. She has taken a negative turn and seems to be nauseous and has refused a few meals. She seems a little perkier this morning. We are rethinking giving her any further treatment. If we do this, we will probably have to let her go within the next week. Her 8th birthday is the 17th. Your prayers mean a lot to us. I had a consultation with our vet Friday and we made a tentative plan about how we will help Dottie the day Olive leaves. He recently attended a seminar about grieving dogs and has some new insight and ideas.

Monique, congrats to your men and women curlers....World Champions!!!!!

I tried to make a little coaster on the embroidery machine and it took me all weekend and it didn't turn out right at all. I gave up on it and turned it into a little pincushion. I won't sew again until we are done taking care of Olive.

We are supposed to get rain storms this morning. I hear thunder in the distance. I have a load of sheets in the dryer and need to get them on the bed before they wrinkle.

Have a good day everyone.

JCY
April 10th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Thinking of you & your fur babies, Barb. It's always hard to say good-bye. Hugs & prayers going your way.

Lyndaj
April 10th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Barb, I'm very sorry to hear about Olive. Having gone through the loss of one dog and my poor Java having to now be the alpha dog, I can tell you that it may be pretty hard on little Dottie. Java became a lot more protective of everything and quite frankly, doesn't like being the alpha dog very much. Sending my positive thougths your way.

I hope you folks don't mind but I need to vent this morning. Some of you know about the quilt that I made for my MIL who recently passed. Since I suck at shoving quilts through my domestic machine, I sought out the help of a long arm quilter. Yesterday, DH and I picked up the quilt and I'm pretty disappointed. So, she didn't include the words Motor On (MIL's mantra on life) anywhere on the quilt, but she didn't put small flowers in the one inch border (her suggestion) and ran ugly somewhat straight lines along that 1" border instead. I also discovered a thread nest on the back of the quilt. I haven't looked at the entire quilt yet, so there may be more.

Overall, I just don't want to look at the quilt to even bind it. This was the first quilt in my 14 years of quilting that I was truly proud of, but not now.

I know you guys will understand.

Wishing everyone a lovely spring day.

PS: on the bright side, I get to put the binding on with my new Bernina 770QE!

Bubby
April 10th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Barb, I'm very sorry to hear about Olive. Having gone through the loss of one dog and my poor Java having to now be the alpha dog, I can tell you that it may be pretty hard on little Dottie. Java became a lot more protective of everything and quite frankly, doesn't like being the alpha dog very much. Sending my positive thougths your way.

I hope you folks don't mind but I need to vent this morning. Some of you know about the quilt that I made for my MIL who recently passed. Since I suck at shoving quilts through my domestic machine, I sought out the help of a long arm quilter. Yesterday, DH and I picked up the quilt and I'm pretty disappointed. So, she didn't include the words Motor On (MIL's mantra on life) anywhere on the quilt, but she didn't put small flowers in the one inch border (her suggestion) and ran ugly somewhat straight lines along that 1" border instead. I also discovered a thread nest on the back of the quilt. I haven't looked at the entire quilt yet, so there may be more.

Overall, I just don't want to look at the quilt to even bind it. This was the first quilt in my 14 years of quilting that I was truly proud of, but not now.

I know you guys will understand.

Wishing everyone a lovely spring day.

PS: on the bright side, I get to put the binding on with my new Bernina 770QE!

Linda, I feel so sad about your quilt....I know how it feels. Enjoy your new Bernina and find yourself another LAQer if you ever need one.

wildernessquilter
April 10th, 2017, 10:25 AM
I hate it when I make a mistake and mess things up but at least it is my mistake to fix or not. When I pay someone to do something for me, ie. long arm quilter, I expect their work to be at least as good as mine and free from mistakes. I can well imagine how hard it is to look at something you took pride in producing and then to have it ruined by someone else. I am sorry it happened to you Lyndaj, I hope you can a way to work it out and still give it to your MIL.

Sue

Jean Sewing Machine
April 10th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Good morning all! New week, preparing for a new crop of visitors this week! All my children and grandkids! Plus some friends of my son. The ST. LOUIS BLUES are in the NHL playoffs--guess when the first game here in STL--EASTER SUNDAY! There goes Easter meals with the fam! Son and wife and their friends will attend the game! Oh well, the kids will be here with their cousins, it will work.

Our friend Klasien got back home safely with her wonderful pile of goodies from all the quilt shops we hit! I gifted her with an extra suitcase so she could get it all home! We sure did have fun and enjoyed seeing so many forum friends!

Barb I am so sorry about your sad news about your fur babies. What a hard decision we have to make when it is time to let go. And Lynda, I am sorry about your special quilt. As a longarmer, that is why I don't quilt for others, and if I do, I am on pins and needles the whole time I am quilting hoping that it all goes OK. Seems like my longarm likes to kick up her heels and misbehave when working on someone else's quilt. Thank heaven, she was a happy camper while doing Klasien's quilt! For the most part!

Have a great day!

quiltingaway
April 10th, 2017, 11:55 AM
so very sorry to hear the news about Olive. It is so hard to let them go. You will know when it is the right time. Blessings to you through this sad time.

EnumclawGramma
April 10th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Good Morning! It's a beautiful sunny morning here, hopefully it'll last. I really need to get out in my yard and plant some flowers and make this yard in the new place my own! I have a little lace leaf maple, a February Daphne, and a Jasmine vine to plant. I love that this yard is so much smaller than the old house, and I look forward to getting it done and enjoying it! And as much as I enjoyed country life and living in the woods, it's fun to have neighbors now and see what everyone else is doing. It's inspiring!

Finishing up my Courthouse steps quilt. I've been watching tutorials the last couple days and deciding what to attempt next. Jenny has made this an impossible decision with all the wonderful things she's been teaching us lately! I really want to attempt an orange peel quilt, all in blue and white like Bubby made. I discovered I already have all the supplies so this must have occurred to me once before! I also think I better finish up some of my UFOs too. I think I'm too easily distracted!

Barb, sent you a PM. Hugs sweet friend. Please know you're in my thoughts.

It's dinner with the cousins night for us so it's going to be a light day, gotta love that on a Monday.

Have a wonderful day!

I miss Blondie! Anyone hear from her lately?

Angelia
April 10th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Barb--I'm thinking of all of you.

Iris Girl
April 10th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Barb been thinking about you and the girls. (((hugs)))

cv quilter
April 10th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Barb, thinking of you and your girls. Olive especially...I definitely empathize with you and have wondered how things are going. Gentle thoughts and pats for little Olive. Gentle thoughts and HUGS for all of you.