PDA

View Full Version : Dresden plate ruler and tutorial

janluna
April 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Thank you for the ruler and tutorial. Today I sat down and did it and it turned so great!!!
I'm new and don't know what I'm doing most of the time! I really feel like I accomplished
something on my own. Even tho I know I couldn't have done without you. I'm just so excited! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Jan

shell.scraps
April 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Good for you!!!! Isn't it wonderful when you accomplish what you set out to do? I work in little chunks. It's so much easier to break off little pieces and work on them rather than think of it as a project and everything that goes into it.

Congratulations!!

aussie
November 15th, 2010, 01:26 AM
I am also over the moon have just got my rulers and I want todo a dresden quilt in blues and white,
it's amazing how simplle MQC tutorials make it , to follow my kit consisred of 3 rulers , $40 aus.
cheers aussie:icon_wave:

pdjewelrylady
November 19th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Excellent Jan! glad you got the dredens figured out - they are really fast and easy and FUN with the ruler! did you see.... todays daily deal is the binding tool ruler!! oh oh oh I want want want one of those!!! :icon_heh:

janluna
November 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I learned how to use the dresden ruler back in April. And yes they are so easy. I also have that binding tool and it works like a charm. YAY!!! I'm all set to go Suzi, just have to get fabric. I'll have to wait till after Christmas. I told the kids and my hubby to give me gift cert. from Joann's. That way if I can't find what I want in my little Joann's I can travel to the super Joann's and probably will get stuff just fine. I'm excited about the swap and am so glad Laura is doing it too along with the rest we will have a great group. Hugs, Jan

Patrice
November 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
i got the dresdan and made one also. just love it. does anyone know how to make the rounded ends. I see that the pattern came with the tool but I don't understand what to do. that doesn't surprise me..lol..does jenny have a tutorial on rounding the end.

BonnieP
November 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM
I was wondering how an easy way would be to do the rounded end on the blades ??? I just received my dresdan plate ruler and binding tool yesterday. I love the tutes on using the binding tool to make a braided runner. I love tools that have more than once use.

Elaine
January 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I just watched that tutorial last night and loved it. I am definitely ordering the ruler. I did order the ruler for the binding but haven't received it yet. Can't wait to make the dresden. Elaine

patticakes
January 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I love this ruler and have made several projects using it. I did buy some little dots to put on the bottom to keep if from slipping when cutting.

debinmalaga
January 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Must say that the ruler really made the dresden easy. I feel quite smug about how easily it cut and sewed - and how complicated it looks :-). Did all three plates in about a day and did all the hand sewing in one evening. You could get the top done in a weekend then work on the quilting at your leisure. Really a great product, and as rulers go, very reasonably priced! I couldn't be happier.

bakermom
January 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I have always loved the dresden pattern and this made it so easy. I made two lap quilts as Christmas gifts. One was shades of yellow and gold with a brown center. It looked like a sunflower. The other was pinks and purples.

Blondie
January 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Did you make yours with the fan blades or rounded? Our MSQC black and white fan swap of course used the spokes rather than rounded. Would love to see pics if you took any before you gave them away ~ I am terrible at taking pics before I gift, generally.

quiltnut
January 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I agree I love the dresden tool,practiced using it before christmas,plus did the french braid effect with the Binding tool I got.In fact i made a table runner with the binding tool,but forgot to take a pic of it before i gave it as a gift.Soooooo neat the tools & saves a lot of fussy cutting too!Thanks MSQ for all the tutorials keep them going eh?

bakermom
January 26th, 2011, 08:03 PM
they had points, not rounded. i know one was sent off before i thought about a picture. I'll go thru our Christmas pictures and see if we got any as they were opened. There's usually so much commotion when everyone is together pictures are not all that good.:icon_rolleyes:

bakermom
January 26th, 2011, 08:17 PM
here's a partial picture of the sunflower one.

craftyladysam
January 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Just lovely! The colors make you smile!

roseytoes
January 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I Love the sunflower one! It is lovely. It makes me want to make one for my DIL. Her favorite flower is the sunflower. She carried them in her wedding boquet.

religra
February 3rd, 2011, 01:32 AM
This is my first visit to this forum. I am a 60-year-old retired school teacher. My younger son used to stay with me but last December he was transferred to Austria. So now I am feeling lonely. But this forum has prompted me to do something on my own. I have decided to make some quilts. I am sure it will help me to keep myself busy. I will soon post pictures of them. :icon_wave:

Carol_Ann
February 3rd, 2011, 02:04 AM
Well hello, Religra !
It's a pleasure to have you join us. Be sure to watch the video tutorials. You will get great ideas & Jenny makes the process of creating quilts easy peasy. Join in and get to know the group. We are all just waiting to get to know you & to be of help should you have questions. Carol Ann:icon_wave:

Blondie
February 3rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
Bakermom - that sunflower quilt was perfect! Just what anyone during the winter needed to cheer them up.

Religra
Welcome to the group! Wonderful that you are retired and can find time to do what your heart desires now; knowing that you miss your son so far away makes it tough. You will find some really nice folks here, in similiar situations. I look forward to getting to know you better.

debi weaver
February 3rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Welcome, religra! May you find many friends here on the forum, and enjoy filling your lonely hours with the pleasure of those friendships and quilting!

I love the Dresden plate - and the template makes it so very easy. So far, I've only cut the pointed blades. Absolutely enjoyed making the blocks for the Swap using this template. I found an unfinished Dresden project left behind in my great-grandmother's sewing box. We believe it was made in her teenage years, from left over deep rich colored velvet fabrics. It's only the blades with no center, leaving curiosity to where any others ended up. Anyway, I use it for a doily on a lamp table by scooting it over the stick of the lamp before the shade is added. I believe it inspired me with the desire to work in fabrics - and definitely gave me a love for the Dresden!

Bakermom - I like your sunflower!

craftyladysam
February 4th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Welcome Religra! I am retired too but seem to be busy all the time with having to add naps in between everything. The days aren't as long as they use to be. LOL Now I know I haven't slowed down, have I? Why, yes I have. LOL Who cares I"ve earned it. This is the place to be! Can't wait to see some of your projects.

debinmalaga
February 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Welcome, Religra, from New Jersey. I'm so glad you found the site.

nannanna
March 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hi Patrice, I, too, purchased the dresden tool and made 2 table runners with the pointed ends, but, like you, I can't figure out the rounded ends? The directions are not very clear as to how to do this.......lol. Maybe there could be a tutorial on how to do them?
And thank you for the nice compliments on my quilts. nannanna