PDA

View Full Version : Easter meals

Cathy F
April 9th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Since next Sunday is Easter I'm trying to get suggestions for food. My husband and I have been invited out for dinner but I thought maybe I'd do an Easter breakfast so we get to see the kids and grandkids before we go out.
Thinking a French toast casserole that you prepare the night before and put in the fridge then just have to pop it in the oven in the morning. Also thought I'd try the breakfast egg recipes that you bake in muffin tins that I see on Pinterest along with some nice crispy bacon, and a fresh fruit salad. Any suggestions for things that can be done without too much fuss and some good recipes to go with them?

Patty J
April 9th, 2017, 08:22 PM
We are having an overnight guest Sat/Sun morning and I have to send him on his way with a good breakfast so I'll be looking for ideas too. I have an overnight casserole that I've made many times, but I have to get up almost 1 1/2 hours before bkfst as it needs to bake for an hour and fifteen min. He leaves at about 8 am and he needs time to eat. LOL That will be too early for me with the busy day ahead. The ones in the muffin cup sound like they wouldn't take as long to bake. I'll have to check them out. Thanks

Hulamoon
April 9th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I just made a frittata the other day with asparagus. Asparagus is so in season right now. So I would say make something with that!

redcaboose1717
April 9th, 2017, 08:37 PM
http://www.food.com/recipe/ham-cheese-quiche-27252

I always make some kind of quiche.....The kids & the grandkids love it, it's really easy to make the day before and just reheat.
The recipe above, I have used for a long time......

Cokie
April 9th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Here's my favorite fruit salad. You make it the night before and it's so good!

Refreshing Fruit Salad

1 quart fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1-2 cups red or green seedless grapes (or a combination)
1 can pineapple tidbits
1 small can mandarin oranges
1-2 bananas
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey

Slice strawberries into halves (or quarters, if very large). Drain mandarin oranges and pineapple, reserving pineapple juice. Mix fruit, except bananas, gently in large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk pineapple juice, lemon juice, and honey until smooth. Pour over fruit. Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, slice bananas into salad and mix gently.

K. McEuen
April 9th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Keep in mind that many of the breakfast casseroles can be placed in the crockpot on low the night before too.

Kgrammiecaz
April 9th, 2017, 10:26 PM
I love making quiche in the cupcake tins. I have used veggies, cheese, bacon sausage, etc as the fillings. They bake up uick and reheat in the microwave. I use the premade pie crust. Cut it up to use in the bottom of the tin. Easy and taste great.

Have some salsa on the side as well.

Cathy F
April 10th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I just made a frittata the other day with asparagus. Asparagus is so in season right now. So I would say make something with that!

I love Frittatas! I make them and put all the left over veggies in them. Asparagus is one of my favorites.

Cathy F
April 10th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Here's my favorite fruit salad. You make it the night before and it's so good!

Refreshing Fruit Salad

1 quart fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1-2 cups red or green seedless grapes (or a combination)
1 can pineapple tidbits
1 small can mandarin oranges
1-2 bananas
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey

Slice strawberries into halves (or quarters, if very large). Drain mandarin oranges and pineapple, reserving pineapple juice. Mix fruit, except bananas, gently in large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk pineapple juice, lemon juice, and honey until smooth. Pour over fruit. Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, slice bananas into salad and mix gently.

This looks delish, thanks for the recipe!

Patty J
April 10th, 2017, 01:03 PM
That fruit salad looks and sounds yummy, thanks for sharing, Think I'll be making that.
Overnight crockpot bake?? I love my crockpot, think I'll be looking for a recipe. Thanks for the idea.

Heather
April 10th, 2017, 04:32 PM
http://www.marthastewart.com/349758/marthas-french-toast
This one had me at orange liqueur. :D

Hulamoon
April 10th, 2017, 05:15 PM
I just remembered I made mac and cheese in cupcake pans. I don't have a particular recipe , just one that is meant to be baked.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=mac%20and%20cheese%20bites&eq=mac%20and%20cheese%20&etslf=17881&term_meta[]=mac%20and%20cheese%20bites%7Cautocomplete%7Cundef ined

Patty J
April 17th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Cokie, Sorry I don't know how to send a pm. I just want to tell you that I made your recipe for Fruit Salad and it was delicious. The guys were amazed when they got up and I had something wonderful to eat so quickly.
Also made a Crockpot egg casserole and it also was good. Instead of serving toast which takes a while to make enough I cheated and bought some muffins that were portable and they were able to take them with them when they left. Snacking on the way home. LOL
Thanks again for posting.

Cokie
April 17th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Cokie, Sorry I don't know how to send a pm. I just want to tell you that I made your recipe for Fruit Salad and it was delicious. The guys were amazed when they got up and I had something wonderful to eat so quickly.
Also made a Crockpot egg casserole and it also was good. Instead of serving toast which takes a while to make enough I cheated and bought some muffins that were portable and they were able to take them with them when they left. Snacking on the way home. LOL
Thanks again for posting.

I'm so happy that your family enjoyed it! It's one of my favorites and so easy. Thanks for letting me know! :-)