PDA

View Full Version : MIL & her COC quilt, and quilts I've gifted her.

RockinLou
April 9th, 2017, 01:37 PM
My MIL was diagnosed with stomach cancer 2 years ago and about 18 months ago received a COC quilt from the forum here. I wanted you all to know that she is snuggling under it now in her final weeks. We received a call last week that her cancer is back and not treatable, it has spread almost everywhere. DH flew home to spend a week with her.

She has 2 quilts in the house, one which I made ten years ago, and hangs on the wall and the COC quilt. She also has a table runner that I made for her which she loves. She has made it very clear to DH that these quilts are to go to me when she passes. We hear so many stories here about the quilts we make being under appreciated, I thought I'd let you know that she values the craftsmanship and love that has gone into them.

It's a sad stage I'm in, as a person who started quilting in my early twenties, that I am receiving back the quilts I gifted to some wonderful women in my life. My grandmother carried the throw quilt I made her until her final days, and that awaits my return as well. I'm blessed to know these gifts were valued and loved.

MIL and I have not had a perfect relationship, so I thank those who sent the COC quilt when I was unable to do something for her.

jjkaiser
April 9th, 2017, 02:25 PM
How nice of you to share your family's apreciation for the quilts you and COC group made. My thoughts are with you as you trudge through these final days. It is not easy, glad your dh can spend that time with his Mom.

JCY
April 9th, 2017, 04:13 PM
DH received a COC quilt a year or more ago from Blondie. He uses it every day to cover his legs when he's in his favorite chair & reading. He feels cold much of the time -- wears 2 flannel shirts + a sweat shirt, & often wears his stocking cap on his head. (His hair is cut very short.) He weighs only 97 lb. I'd probably feel cold, too, if I weighed so little. I made a COC for a man to pay it forward. There are pics of it in one of my albums. It was my first time to do raw edge applique or use the circle template.

bubba
April 9th, 2017, 04:48 PM
MM also got one from Blondie's group last summer. He took it to every chemo treatment.

Monique
April 9th, 2017, 06:17 PM
I know those COC quilts are very loved by all recipients. It is nice that your MIL wants you to have them back but sad under the circumstances.

RockinLou
April 10th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I made a COC for a man to pay it forward.

I have a quilt in mind that I have all the blocks for, just need to put the top together and quilt it, I was planning on doing the same.... looks like I might have a lot of alone time this summer while DH settles affairs in WI, so I will have the time to work on it.

nayzie
April 10th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Sending strength and {{hugs}} for you all. I find sewing or gardening the best therapy for me to work thru these emotional times.