PDA

View Full Version : Forum spam! I might have an idea

grammaterry
April 8th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I click and see these spams on our wonderful forum and it's scary!
I was there. If the number of posts we have made were somewhere next to our post, a zero would certainly alert us not to click

shirleyknot
April 8th, 2017, 03:39 PM
It would make even more sense for them to install filters like most forums do, to keep them off.

Hulamoon
April 8th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Why do you click on them? I just ignore them.

shirleyknot
April 8th, 2017, 03:41 PM
That too. heh.

Bubby
April 8th, 2017, 04:18 PM
If you hover your cursor over the title of the thread you will be able to tell that it's spam because you will usually see the names of two ball teams. Don't click...just hold your cursor over the title of the thread.

redcaboose1717
April 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM
I hate to sound dumb here....but where are you seeing Spam messages on the forum..? I have never ever noticed anything like that. ??

Vonnie
April 8th, 2017, 05:06 PM
I hate to sound dumb here....but where are you seeing Spam messages on the forum..? I have never ever noticed anything like that. ??

They are out there but you have to be quick! Our fearless moderators wipe them out as soon as they see them or someone alerts them about the invaders!

bubba
April 8th, 2017, 05:16 PM
They are more prevalent on the weekends when games are being played. And like someone said, if the title sounds odd, hovering your cursor over the title a second will show if it's about a game, fight, etc.

Hulamoon
April 8th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Also the user names are strange.

JCY
April 8th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Also it usually will be a first time post & be nothing relevant to quilting.

LauraP
April 8th, 2017, 09:57 PM
and if it has 20 views and no responses you can figure it's not worth looking at:)

shirleyknot
April 8th, 2017, 10:23 PM
There's one in "sew together" right now.

MHG Winnower
April 9th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Even if you do open it either out of curiosity or whatever (and I know you know this) - do not click on the link! and report it to the moderator. Yes, it may be a legitimate "sports" minded thing, but on the other hand, there are brilliant people out there who have a need to compromise computer systems and you could introduce malicious software into yours!

Suzette
April 9th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Spam is inevitable but MSQC does a fantastic job keeping the forums pretty clean of them. I rarely see spam here and never click on it when I do. The title is almost always a giveaway when they do show up, but if in doubt I do as Bubby does - hover over the title to see the first few lines of the post and that will tell you for sure.