PDA

View Full Version : RIP thimble

snippet
April 8th, 2017, 02:45 PM

I guess it's game over for the thimble. It joins other retired pieces like the iron and the purse.

I hope the new piece isn't an emoji.

grammaterry
April 8th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I think it's sad! And not the shoe! I always wanted to walk the boardwalk.

shirleyknot
April 8th, 2017, 03:40 PM
I'm hanging on to my antique set with all those pieces.

jjkaiser
April 8th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I didn't know the iron was retired. That's sad. I liked all the original pieces!

redcaboose1717
April 8th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Oh no! Why can't they leave things alone.....I always liked the Thimble, & the iron !

I just found the "NEW" Monopoly Pcs.......Here's the link :
http://xboxonezone.com/2017/03/31/monopoly-unveils-three-new-game-pieces/:icon_wave:

Monique
April 8th, 2017, 05:31 PM
I think they should have left things alone as they were.

shirleyknot
April 8th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Oh no! Why can't they leave things alone.....I always liked the Thimble, & the iron !

I just found the "NEW" Monopoly Pcs.......Here's the link :
http://xboxonezone.com/2017/03/31/monopoly-unveils-three-new-game-pieces/:icon_wave:

Did not work

Try this one

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/new-monopoly-pieces-tokens.html

songbird857
April 8th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I kinda like the T-Rex and Penguin :)

Hulamoon
April 8th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Kids probably can't relate to irons. lol

I wish I had my family's game. We played that thing to death at Thanksgiving and Christmas at my grandmothers.

tamsterg7
April 9th, 2017, 12:46 AM
Whoa - so glad I have our original game with the real deal metal,pieces!

jjkaiser
April 9th, 2017, 01:31 AM
That's supposed to be a rubber duck??? It looks totally lame. Check it out. The penguin isn't impressing me either. They need to spend a little more time on the design end before this **** gets mass produced.

TMP
April 9th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Maybe its just a marketing thing to make people think they have to have the newest version. Do people even play board games anymore? I guess I'm growing old and becoming my mom because I don't like change and want it to go back to the way it was originally made.

shirleyknot
April 9th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Agreed. Don't mess with the classics.

Carol336
April 9th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Did not work

Try this one

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/new-monopoly-pieces-tokens.html

Well those pieces are cute - but I just don't think I could play monopoly with them......I want the old ones back - LOL

QuiltingRN
April 9th, 2017, 12:00 PM
The thimble and iron were my favorite pieces! Hmmm, must have known I was going to be a quilter!

nursey
April 9th, 2017, 06:10 PM
I'm sorry the thimble is gone, but that penguin is dang cute!

Patty J
April 9th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I have 2 older versions of the game and I'm getting rid of either one. I like the old marking pieces and the new ones don't inspire me. Now if they made a quilt one I might get it and mix in my old and new pieces. LOL My mom always said if it isn't broken don't fix it.!!!!

Anna Leigh
April 9th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Awe. I always held onto the thimble while we were playing because I could fit it on my finger when I was little. Our household favorites: Dog, race car, battleship, top hat and wheelbarrow.

Hulamoon
April 9th, 2017, 11:00 PM
I bet Monopoly games will go sky high on Ebay now.

JCY
April 10th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Interesting article. It's been soooo many years since I played Monopoly. I still have a set around in the closet. I think with the advent of all the electronics, TV, etc. table games are not as popular. Families seldom sit around & play games together. Everyone is answering his/her own cell phone, texting, rather than talking, to people & their family members, or glued to the TV. It's a sad commentary on today's society & culture. The seniors' group at our church has a game day once in a while. The kids & I used to play table games when they still were home. DH never had any interest in games. My first DH & I used to play double pinochle with another couple. He & I used to play Gin Rummy.

Star lover
April 10th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Such a sad day .....guess I'm old. Like things to stay the same. Loved the thimble! Again so sad.... but happy I still have that old game ....somewhere!