PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Scout Question

lots2do
April 7th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Hi all,
My nephew has his Eagle Scout ceremony next week. I just got the announcement. We can't attend since we are many states away. Is a gift expected? I don't have the time to whip up a quilt.
Thank you,
lots2do

Hulamoon
April 7th, 2017, 08:16 AM
I had girls and they didn't get very far in the program so congrats to him. I never heard of giving gifts for something like this so I looked it up.

https://www.google.com/#q=eagle+scout+court+of+honor+gifts&spf=390

Bubby
April 7th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Since you are unable to attend the ceremony I think a gift would be appreciated. The link Hulamoon posted above has suggestions for gifts.

KPH
April 7th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Both of my boys earned their Eagle. Neither received many gifts. My uncle presented both with a flag that had flown over congress to both boys. Mike got an eagle belt buckle, a couple of gift cards and a little cash.

Check with a Scout Service Center. They usually have Eagle related gifts.

grammaterry
April 7th, 2017, 10:06 AM
It's a really big deal to become an eagle scout. Not everyone achieves this honor. It works perseverance! Send a gift

Midge
April 7th, 2017, 11:01 AM
My son was a Scout and I was an assistant scoutmaster for quite a while. The Eagle Scout's Court of Honor Ceremony is a very big deal. This boy has achieved at a very high level, and while gifts are not expected, a remembrance is certainly appropriate. He will undoubtedly receive letters of congratulations from his senators and representative as well as local politicians. And there are all kinds of scouting gear that can be selected, although, when you think about ir, those things just get packed away because he's going off to college. If he is an outdoorsman, there is always a need for the right gear for backpacking, camping and kayaking, for example. So a gift card he can combine with other gifts to get some of the expensive stuff would be good. Or, find out what his Eagle Scout project was and make a charitable gift in his name to a related organization. You will be confident he would appreciate that, and it reinforces the values of giving to your community. Above all, send a card or letter of congratulations and praise. They mean a lot to the boys.

bubba
April 7th, 2017, 03:38 PM
I got the equivalent in Girl Scouts and we did not receive any gifts. Took a few years to earn it.

grammaterry
April 7th, 2017, 11:15 PM
The last eagle scout I gifted I gave the smallest gold coin I could purchase. Since he's heading to college, a quilt with a congratulations labor would be nice

tamsterg7
April 7th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Our son completed and received his Eagle Scout at 16 - and it was an accomplishment. I can tell you that it is a very big deal, as we always take note when we see that on an applicants resume, it shows character, perseverance, etc. So sorry that you can't attend the ceremony, as they are quite impressive. Many of our family and friends came to the ceremony and then we had a BBQ following at our house. We specified it was just a celebration, but several brought him gifts which were much appreciated and ranged from Eagle Scout belt buckle, to camping supplies (something scouts love), to gift cards at the local sporting store.