PDA

View Full Version : DH Needs More Salt!

JCY
April 6th, 2017, 07:41 PM
DH had a nephrology dr. appt. this a.m. He's had chronic Hyponatremia (a low level of sodium in the blood) for 8 yrs. He's been on a fluid restriction most of those years. The dr.'s instructions today were to increase his salt intake. He's to do this by taking a 1 gram tablet of Sodium Chloride twice a day. His labs will be re-checked in 3 weeks. Studies show that having a lower sodium level affects a person's balance & cognition & increases the risk of falling. If taking these salt tables will correct his electrolyte problem, we will feel truly blessed! The dr. also said he thinks DH does not have Parkinson's, since he has no resting tremor. I'm encouraged!

songbird857
April 6th, 2017, 08:09 PM
So glad to hear good news!! I hope his numbers are better in a few weeks :)

bubba
April 6th, 2017, 08:29 PM
That sounds like excellent news! Maybe I need to start doing the same thing!

Star lover
April 6th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Wow, such good news. Hoping and praying that this all,works out for the best! Yeah!

redcaboose1717
April 6th, 2017, 10:07 PM
That's great news !
Hope this really helps.
God Bless

KarenC
April 6th, 2017, 11:26 PM
Hope this brings good results

grammaterry
April 6th, 2017, 11:37 PM
Oh this sounds like wonderful news

Carlie Wolf
April 7th, 2017, 12:07 AM
I hope all goes well for you and your husband JCY. Sounds like good news :-)

Iris Girl
April 7th, 2017, 05:34 AM
Sounds like wonderful news hope the numbers are good in a few weeks!

sew-what2015
April 7th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I knew someone young who had this problem. When first diagnosed, the drs. thought it was a neurology problem. I haven't seen him in a long time so I don't know how he is doing but sometimes misdiagnosis can be harmful. If possible, it's best to get a second and even third opinion when it's a serious problem. My husband's uncle was older when he shows signs of cognitive problems that turned out to be a vitamin deficiency..not sure but I think it was B vitamin.

Bubby
April 7th, 2017, 10:16 AM
That's such good news about the Parkinson's!! Do you recall that a few weeks ago we had a friend on life support due to his sodium being too low...he is fine and back to work now for a few weeks. I hope your DH feels better soon. (((HUGS)))

JCY
April 7th, 2017, 10:55 AM
DH had a critical low sodium level of 119 back in Aug. of 2008. (Normal is 135-145.) It was hot weather & he drank too much water & washed out his sodium. As a nurse, I knew he was seriously ill, but I didn't know what was going on. He was confused. His vital signs were low, color pale. I called an ambulance to get him to the hosp. ASAP. He was in the hosp. 3.5 days on a strict fluid restriction until his level stabilized. He's had intermittent problems with his sodium all these years since then. I'm really hoping these salt tablets will do the trick.

Midge
April 7th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I bet you are both so relieved about the Parkinson's issue. But this hyponatremia can be just as serious in its own way. Keep a sharp eye on his water intake as hot weather approaches.

cashs_mom
April 7th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I hope his labs are better at the re check. Do they have any idea what is causing his low blood sodium? My mother had that when she was older and it cause many problems for her. I got very frustrated with the doctors because they never seemed to look into why she had this when she didn't eat a low sodium diet at all. She lived at an assisted living place and I used to think some of their food was very salty.

GuitarGramma
April 7th, 2017, 03:26 PM
This is good news! I'm happy for your husband and you.

I'd like to share something in hopes it could help. I've become a big believer in what I'll call "natural salts." The anti-caking additives they use in table salts aren't really all that great for us. I now use either Pink Himalayan Salt or Natural Sea Salt. There are several brands of each; I use Trader Joe for the Himalayan Salt and Celtic brand for the Sea Salt, which is a dusty grey color. The less processing, the better. The biggest plus is that these salts TASTE better than table salt.

I hope things continue to improve for your DH.

cashs_mom
April 7th, 2017, 06:00 PM
This is good news! I'm happy for your husband and you.

I'd like to share something in hopes it could help. I've become a big believer in what I'll call "natural salts." The anti-caking additives they use in table salts aren't really all that great for us. I now use either Pink Himalayan Salt or Natural Sea Salt. There are several brands of each; I use Trader Joe for the Himalayan Salt and Celtic brand for the Sea Salt, which is a dusty grey color. The less processing, the better. The biggest plus is that these salts TASTE better than table salt.

I hope things continue to improve for your DH.

I have also started using sea salt and like it much better. You're right. The additives in food are never good for us.

JCY
April 7th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Sorry ~ DH cannot tolerate sea salt. There's something in it that doesn't agree with him. He has a lot of allergies & food intolerances. It makes it difficult & really limits his choices.

GaGa
April 7th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Oh this is so promising! It will be so wonderful so I really hope it works for him!

cashs_mom
April 10th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Oh this is so promising! It will be so wonderful so I really hope it works for him!

That's very difficult. I have a lot of sensitivities. I"m working with a functional medicine practitioner now to see if I can get some help with them. Medical doctors don't seem to have a clue about sensitivities.

WendyI
April 12th, 2017, 10:34 AM
That is wonderful news!! I sure hope that's all it is! Wow, most people have WAY too MUCH salt in their diet. Hope this fixes everything! xox