PDA

View Full Version : Have your taste buds changed getting older?

Hulamoon
April 6th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I just recently made a good looking recipe for cabbage soup. It was super healthy, but came out terrible. It was so bitter. I looked up some of the vegetables and it turns out the culprit might be the celery. I want to make some split pea soup and I'm afraid to use it now. I don't want to throw out another batch of money. lol

Have you found this in your recipes?

http://diethood.com/cabbage-soup-with-rice/

bubba
April 6th, 2017, 06:27 PM
No....I still hate cooked carrots, beets, rutabaga, turnips, parsnips, peas, cheese, coffee. I think that's it.....oh, and liver, tongue and other assorted meats that should not cross my lips!

pcbatiks
April 6th, 2017, 06:34 PM
I think mine have changed over the last 5 years. I used to love milk chocolate and didn't like dark chocolate. Now I prefer dark chocolate. Some milk chocolate seems too sweet.

I know I didn't mention a recipe but chocolate is a major food group....right?! :D

Altairss
April 6th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Yup taste buds can change as we age also they can be effected by what we eat. Sugar and salt are both in their ways addictive and change how we taste. Greatly reduce either of them and after a period of time where you crave them like crazy your taste buds change and you need less and less to get that taste. Also smoking, certain medications as well as alcohol lots of coffee or strong flavored teas can change your taste buds and how they react. Taste buds are also effected by our sense of smell.

Midge
April 6th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Lorie it could have been that particular bunch of celery. I remember my aunt, an expert gardener taught me not to let the celery stay in the ground until dark green. That dark celery is bitter, and especially the dark green leaves. I always save veggie trimmings in the freezer for stock, but not the dark ribs and leaves.

bubba
April 6th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Lorie it could have been that particular bunch of celery. I remember my aunt, an expert gardener taught me not to let the celery stay in the ground until dark green. That dark celery is bitter, and especially the dark green leaves. I always save veggie trimmings in the freezer for stock, but not the dark ribs and leaves.

I don't buy the dark celery in the store. However, did you know if you wrap your celery in foil and keep it in the fridge it will last a long time??

Hulamoon
April 6th, 2017, 06:55 PM
That's the info I came across!. Luckily my stores sell by the lb and not by stalk. Story behind that.. I was shopping and some tourists were saying "we don't need that much though". I told them you can take it apart, it's sold by the lb. They were so grateful.

Now I have to follow my own advice and your aunts. :)

shirleyknot
April 6th, 2017, 07:17 PM
My medication has REALLY messed up the taste of things I used to love.. I could just cry.

K. McEuen
April 6th, 2017, 07:19 PM
I knew there was a reason I only bought the celery hearts.

JCY
April 6th, 2017, 07:34 PM
I think it took almost a year for my body to adjust to taking Metformin (for Type II Diabetes). I had a dry, hacky cough, & my food did not taste the same. It now has stabilized. Many medications definitely affect the taste buds.

TMP
April 6th, 2017, 08:50 PM
I never have liked celery and only buy it because my DH likes it cooked in things.

Growing up in the south, I was raised with meals of lots of fried foods and veggies seasoned with bacon grease. (guess that was the way my mom was raised too). At the time I loved it. The older I have got the more any greasy thing nauseates me. I also don't like heavy salted food anymore. I hope the taste of chocolate never changes for me. I could live off it.

redcaboose1717
April 6th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Actually your taste buds do change.....
As far as making Split Pea Soup....are you going to use a recipe you have used before ?
I have a great recipe for Split Pea Soup.....I think it's pretty basic. If you want the recipe let me know !

I love soup and have made soup a lot over the years. It's amazing how much soup I made when the kids lived at home. I always kept a broth based and a cream based soup in the fridge during their growing up years.
One of the kids favorite soups of all time was my homemade Cream Of Mushroom soup. ( which I thought was strange because most kids don't care for cream of mushroom soup at all.)

My favorite soup is Baked French Onion Soup.....yummy !!

When I was a kid I ate almost everything but Liver, Head Cheese and Pickled Tongue......I still can't stand those three things, although every time I make liver I do taste it.....and I am told I make the best liver, although you couldn't prove it by me....I hate the stuff !

Star lover
April 6th, 2017, 10:00 PM
I hated tomatoes, watermelon, popcorn, cantaloupe. Started to like cantaloupe and watermelon about 20 years ago. Now I love them both. I started to like tomatoes about 20 years ago too but still don't love em. Now as for popcorn.... hated it until about 5 years ago. Now I can live on it. Absolutely love, LOVE, LOVE it now. I'm now 60. Sniff, sniff, better late than never.....mmm, think I'm gonna get a bowl before bed. Guess taste buds do change!

Hulamoon
April 6th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Sugar this is the one I was going to use.

http://www.tabsandtidbits.com/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup/

Since I was a kid I loved split pea soup. There is a restaurant in Calif that is called Andersons and that was their speciality. We went there going camping up the coast. They canned it, but I'd rather make it fresh.

The hotel/restaurant. Opened 1924!

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2012/09/andersens-split-pea-soup/

lmanna
April 6th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Mine have definitely changed - Recently I've discovered that I LOVE avocado, edamame and raw tomatoes (but not cooked tomatoes). So proud of my more mature taste buds.

CraftyJnet
April 6th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Sugar this is the one I was going to use.

http://www.tabsandtidbits.com/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup/

Since I was a kid I loved split pea soup. There is a restaurant in Calif that is called Andersons and that was their speciality. We went there going camping up the coast. They canned it, but I'd rather make it fresh.

The hotel/restaurant. Opened 1924!

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2012/09/andersens-split-pea-soup/

Pea Soup Andersens! Every time we drive down to LA I want to stop there and have their soup!

Hulamoon
April 6th, 2017, 10:57 PM
Pea Soup Andersens! Every time we drive down to LA I want to stop there and have their soup!

And go to Solvang to buy some Christmas ornaments!

KPH
April 6th, 2017, 11:11 PM
I remember my great grandmother would always have a little sweet after dinner. When she finished she'd take a bite of bread to get the sweet taste out of her mouth.

I always thought it was a little wacky, then Grandma started doing the same thing after she retired. She's want something sweet, then a bite of bread or veggies as she was cleaning up the kitchen.

I do crave something sweet at the end of a meal, but try to satisfy that craving by chewing some sugar free gum.

Carlie Wolf
April 7th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Mine have changed over the last 5 years. Very little tastes the way it use to. Also it tastes like everything is outdated. (Oh yeah, well thats probably just me lol) Even meatballs and spagetti tastes flat to me and I use to just love that. Sad because I use to love cooking and all the different flavors.

Hulamoon
April 7th, 2017, 12:35 AM
I like to use Asian flavors and found this blogger.
http://rasamalaysia.com/recipes/

Super easy and lots of flavor. You do need to stock up on some interesting ingredients, but they last a long time, so your not wasting money to try them out.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
April 7th, 2017, 06:24 AM
I don't think mine have changed over the years. I still all the same things, but recently I have notice that I have a poor appetite. It probably would improve if I was able to afford to eat out and not have to cook, lol.

sew-what2015
April 7th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I don't have a dishwasher (except for DH!). I always find that utensils that are cleaned in a dishwasher have a metallic taste that changes the flavor of food. Does anyone else notice that?

Midge
April 7th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I don't have a dishwasher (except for DH!). I always find that utensils that are cleaned in a dishwasher have a metallic taste that changes the flavor of food. Does anyone else notice that?
Never. Is it possible you are using more detergent than needed or the rinse cycles aren't working well? Hard water?

Midge
April 7th, 2017, 11:14 AM
I like to use Asian flavors and found this blogger.

Super easy and lots of flavor. You do need to stock up on some interesting ingredients, but they last a long time, so your not wasting money to try them out.
Wow, some of these look very good. I see Brazilian Cheese Puffs in my future this weekend.

Carlie Wolf
April 7th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I've had a problem with metallic taste too although it was prominent 4 years ago. Not so much now. I noticed an improvement after I had a few teeth removed that I was getting minor absyesses (sp?) in. Part of it had to do with problems with some old fillings.

Since I don't have that much of an appetite anymore (not sure if it's because I don't like the tastes) I've been more careful with what I buy. I tend to stay away from processed, canned and frozen foods and try to only purchase fresh foods. I have found though that "fresh" is relative in the winter because it appears they have frozen some prior to putting it out in the produce section. Have you noticed how some of the veggies wilt and go brown within a day or two of you refrigerating them?? Lettuce and celery are the worst although I've had it happen with carrots too. Summer is the best because I grown my own and then can and freeze them. They all seem to taste just fine.

Hulamoon
April 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Wow, some of these look very good. I see Brazilian Cheese Puffs in my future this weekend.

I was looking at those too! I first found her on Pinterest and decided to sign up for her emails. She has two cook books and an E-book. She uses a lot of chicken (forget if you still eat that) vegetables and shrimp, so she's right in my lane of favorites. Only thing is that I need to switch to light soy sauce. That's a lot of salt!

sew-what2015
April 7th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Can't find the cheese puffs. Could someone please post a link to the Brazilian Cheese Puffs? Thanks.

Hulamoon
April 7th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Can't find the cheese puffs. Could someone please post a link to the Brazilian Cheese Puffs? Thanks.

On the first page :)

sew-what2015
April 7th, 2017, 06:05 PM
On the first page :)

How did I miss that!
Thanks Hulamom (Lorie).

Hulamoon
April 7th, 2017, 09:36 PM
I looked at the cheese puff recipe better and it's pretty much the same cooking technique as choux (cream puff) dough. I guess the tapioca flour makes them lighter? Another thing to go look up!