PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell me why.....

songbird857
April 1st, 2017, 04:51 PM
Why does a certain company feel the need to use the biggest box for the smallest items???
This is an 18" X 2" FLAT ruler... I nearly fell over when I saw the box on my front steps!
I guess the wad of paper is to protect the plastic ruler ;)

shirleyknot
April 1st, 2017, 05:00 PM
Considering the way UPS and USPS treat packages, better safe than sorry.

Hulamoon
April 1st, 2017, 05:06 PM
Too funny. I have gotten so many like that, mostly from Amazon. They used to do surveys on how their packing was doing, but I haven't gotten one in awhile. I think these people are just trying to get through their day in a mundane job and just don't care.

Sharyn J
April 1st, 2017, 05:19 PM
Sorry.........I had to giggle. You could get a set of vertical blinds in that box!

wildernessquilter
April 1st, 2017, 05:25 PM
I have an ides.....

How about we tell companies that we want full boxes. Let them use whatever size box they want to send our orders but they are not allowed to use packing materials for padding, they must use something useful to the recipient to fill up the box, no wasted space. Then I at least would appreciate the bigger box.

Shall we start a petition?

Hulamoon
April 1st, 2017, 05:28 PM
The thing is, that we get charged with shipping weight. That ruler could of easily been sent first class for a few dollars.

PatinValrico
April 1st, 2017, 05:39 PM
Hey Songbird, a little story. When I was working for UPS in the past I took a call from a customer who was really upset, and justifiably so. The driver could not get anyone to come to the door and packages left on the porch in the past had gone missing in the past. Soooo...he lobbed the box over the fence. It was her mother's heirloom china. Glad your ruler arrived in good condition.

Grandma G
April 1st, 2017, 05:39 PM
Looks like the same size box (from Amazon) that arrived today with my husband's gold club inside!

Cathy F
April 1st, 2017, 05:47 PM
I ordered a yard of silver quilted fabric like you would use on an ironing board. They shipped it on the hard tube roller in a box similiar to the one you got for your ruler. Nobody at Amazon thought about taking it off the roll and folding it up and putting it in a small box or shipping envelope?!!

Kgrammiecaz
April 1st, 2017, 06:37 PM
I order from Amazon a lot. And yes the boxes are always way too big for the items. Lots of paper packing. Glad I have prime so shipping is free. But really these boxes could be much smaller.

meliswan
April 1st, 2017, 11:11 PM
I ordered some sausage seasoning and knives last week. They used a box that was too small and one of the knives ended up poking out of the box.

jjkaiser
April 1st, 2017, 11:21 PM
I recently ordered a small beanbag chair from Amazon for my gd. It came in a box three times bigger than the chair and stuffed liberally with Styrofoam peanuts that were not enclosed. They went everywhere when the box wss opened, my dd is still finding stray pieces in the house that flew all over! But the chair arrived on time and in one piece.

ncmphoy
April 1st, 2017, 11:28 PM
During the Christmas rush, Amazon partnered with Goodwill that if you printed off a label, you could fill your Amazon box with donations and they would ship it for free to a Goodwill. not sure if it's still on-going.
We are planning to move in the next year, so I've been stashing empty boxes in my attic.

TMP
April 1st, 2017, 11:57 PM
For about a year our packages were being thrown in the drive way. Large or small it didn't matter. We have a porch a few steps away. The elderly man who delivers packages just wouldn't get out of his truck. Several times we almost driven over them. I contacted the postmaster ( thanks to the number from a forum friend) ( they make it impossible to get the direct number to your local post office), anyhow she had me take a picture of the package in the drive way, and the label. She said this is totally unexceptable. Now all our packages are put on the porch. DH said Teresa, your going to cause us to never get our mail.

grammaterry
April 2nd, 2017, 12:11 AM
Just too funny

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2017, 03:22 AM
I know it is funny, Amazon has a density to do that.

redcaboose1717
April 2nd, 2017, 05:58 AM
I agree with Lorie ( Hulamoon ) .....Once I ordered four ( 4) Craft Tape Despenser Guns and they came in a package that was as tall as I am ( 5ft 5in ) and about 2 ft wide......it was ALL BUBBLE WRAP....wrapped around and around these small ( 8x8 inch boxes ) .......WOW....I was really careful unpacking them......and was able to save ALL of the bubble wrap,which was great because I had made some gifts that were to be mailed out....and it was great that I didn't have to purchase any bubble wrap to secure the gifts for safe mailing.
I normally am really careful about packing things. Years ago when we were stationed in Germany, a friend of mine ( she and her GI hubby lived above up in an apartment building) had mailed her sewing machine to Germany, and by the time it arrived to the Base the entire sewing machine was broken in tiny, tiny pcs......Good thing she insured it ! The bad thing was the sewing machine was the one she had learned on in high school and she was really upset to see it smashed like it was....and She had the post office clerk put exta "FRAGILE " stickers all over that box !

I should have taken a picture of that package that was all BUBBLE WRAP.....Darn!

It's amazing how things are packaged ! :(

redcaboose1717
April 2nd, 2017, 06:06 AM
Here's some info about Amazon and filling a box for Goodwill.......
http://givebackbox.com/amazon
I don't know if this is still going on ( I didn't see any dates about it ) but if you click on "OUR STORY" on the top of the page, there are other companies ( Overstock, Ann Taylor,Levi's,Ebags and more companies ) do this as well
Here's the link about the "GIVE BACK " program
http://givebackbox.com/amazon

Click on the "Our Story" for info about other companies that also do this

MHG Winnower
April 2nd, 2017, 06:57 AM
Some of the distribution centers for Amazon are working to correct this annoying habit of big box/small item. I have received a couple which are really more appropriate and still protecting contents. They have also sent me surveys regarding the new shipping. I hope it is passed along to more distribution centers. I appreciate the recycling centers we have, but they won't take certain types of plastic like the "air" pillows inside boxes. I generally have to pop the bubbles and drop them off at the grocery store plastic bag recycling box.

kgirlmom
April 2nd, 2017, 08:03 PM
Like batting??? Didn't some folks get that from *M*?

traildancer
April 5th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Grandma G, I want to hear more about your husband's gold club!