PDA

View Full Version : The storm raged

grammaterry
April 1st, 2017, 10:40 AM
Thursday night bye rain and wind hit Western NC and knocked out our window to at home. We grumbles!
Friday morning,we drove to the restaurant to use our window fiand we're reading all the wonderful comments you made on my new sewing room. I was getting ready to go to market. I took the Thursday receipts back to the office and I couldn't get to my desk. My first thoughts were that DH had piled crap on the floor to get it out of the restaurant and than it hit me! The ceiling had collapsed and it was raining in there.
What a morning. First we tried to move what we could, then call insurance company. They are not in much of a hurry. I want them to get an adjuster out so we can secure the building from more damage. It's going to rains one more. They told us to do what we can and keep track of our hours! Are they crazy. We're old. We can't get on the roof to cover it. It's an area about 50 by 50 feet where it goes. Thankfully it didn't affect the kitchen or main dining room or hotel. We'll go in today and see how much worse it is today. Big rain expected Monday. DH did go on the roof and took pictures from text to insurance Co. Get this! They said they would send some one to see if there was deterioration that weakened it. I guess it's going to be a battle.

cv quilter
April 1st, 2017, 11:32 AM
Oh, Terry...Crud! So sorry for such a mess you are facing. I do hope that they can get someone to help you soon. Happy that it didn't affect the kitchen/dining room/hotel, but it's still a horrible thing to be dealing with. With another storm expected, can you get someone to come out and put the tarps in place to prevent any more damage...maybe a local handyman? Hang in there, Terry. Prayers for a quick resolution.

Yanna
April 1st, 2017, 12:01 PM
Terry, I'm so sorry to heard of your damage. Hopefully someone will help put a cover on the roof for y'all.

jjkaiser
April 1st, 2017, 12:22 PM
Oh no!!! This is terrible news. I hope you can find someone to help you! If I lived closer I would be right over. Don't try anything dangerous like going up on the roof yourself.

KarenC
April 1st, 2017, 12:23 PM
Sorry you're having to go through this. Praying for relief and no battle with insurance.

grammaterry
April 1st, 2017, 01:10 PM
DH is on the roof. I hear him hammering. I worry. He still believes he's a young man. We are pushed to our physical limits after the sewing room construction. Just seems the insurance people should be quicker.. You'd think they were government employees ��. Our go to handy guy's wife just had a baby yesterday. He says he can't leave her till Monday. Everything will work out. God provides. Thanks for your good wishes

Star lover
April 1st, 2017, 01:43 PM
So sorry for all that's happened to you! So much to deal with. The Lord will provide! I along with many others I will be praying .... so sad that's all we can do. Also praying for safety! Could be dangerous up on that roof!

EsGrandma
April 1st, 2017, 01:44 PM
Feeling your pain - we fought with insurance for two years about our roof. They said it was "normal wear and tear" - but after two terrible hail storms and all of our neighbors getting new roofs. They finally gave in and paid for it - Will say prayers for you and your dear hubby.

sewbizzy
April 1st, 2017, 02:34 PM
Oh Terry, I am so sorry for your damage...you are right though...God will provide...Hope you and your hubby stay well...be careful!

JCY
April 1st, 2017, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear this news, Terry. How frustrating! I hope you get the help you need, and soon! Years ago, we had a hail storm that damaged our roof. Because there were so many claims in our area, they sent in outside agents, some of whom where not sympathetic. The first one thought we just needed a few shingles replaced Nada! We called for a 2nd estimate. I had saved the hail stones in the freezer. Some were almost as big as hen's eggs! The 2nd agent agreed we needed a new roof. We had to find someone to do the work, but the ins. co. paid for it. Make sure you take LOTS of pics to document your damage. May God give you the strength to see you through this crisis. Love & Prayers.

MHG Winnower
April 1st, 2017, 05:27 PM
Be safe; be well and stay on terra ferma. Roofs are dangerous enough in dry weather. I hope the insurance company gets moving on this; perhaps part of the issue may be that they have been deluged by damage all over your area. I've crossed everything (fingers, toes, eyes.....) I do look silly but I have hopes that this is quickly resolved for you. Why is it that it seems that bad things happen to good people?

Judy, USMC
April 1st, 2017, 06:32 PM
It's an area about 50 by 50 feet where it goes..

That's a big area - 2,500 sqft is larger than my entire house! Hope you can get it repaired quickly and the insurance company stands behind the policy you got. Some adjusters who work for the insurance company will always look for excuses not to pay.

KPH
April 1st, 2017, 09:15 PM
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a quick resolution! With what we pay in to insurance, they sure don't want to give it back. I hope the rains they're calling for Monday by pass your area!

laura44
April 2nd, 2017, 12:25 AM
So sorry to hear your news. Praying for a quick resolution!
Luckily no one was hurt.

pjyoder414@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2017, 03:16 AM
Oh Terry I'm so sorry, wish I was there to help you with the cleanup. Thank goodness you weren't in your office at the time.

Bubby
April 2nd, 2017, 07:18 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Terry. This makes me heartsick for you and your DH. We went through similar tribulations in 2009. My prayers and best wishes are with you. (((HUGS)))

Monique
April 3rd, 2017, 07:31 AM
Aw what an awful mess to deal with. I hope you get some answers from the insurance company and soon.

ncmphoy
April 3rd, 2017, 08:49 AM
I hope things get repaired quickly for you. We are alexepxting storms today. This weather has been very confused.

auntiemern
April 3rd, 2017, 12:56 PM
So sorry to hear this has happened to you. Prayers that it all gets taken care of quickly.

GrammaBabs
April 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Keeping you guys in my prayers.... for smooth resolution... i know what you mean... i have one of 70yr. old YOUNG guys as well... Thinks nothing of climbing on the roof!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs, GB

WendyI
April 12th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I DETEST Insurance companies!! I sure hope they don't make you fight for what you paid for! And take care of yourselves! Being on a roof is so dangerous! xox