PDA

View Full Version : doctor report....

bubba
March 31st, 2017, 09:49 PM
I'm so sorry this has taken so long!!

We made our forty mile drive to the doctor earlier, appointment was at 1300, so we left shortly before noon and got there about 20 minutes early (drive home was just over 1.5 hours!). It was not until we got there that I learned we would be seen by a wound/stoma nurse, not the surgeon.

We were seen by a pair of nurses and they first removed his bag and got that all cleaned up, then removed the stints. Here is my word to the wise - if you are ever in a room where they are removing a stint after stoma surgery, either leave the room or make sure you are sitting down!!! Luckily, I was sitting down or they would have called a 'CODE UNCONSCIOUS' because I would have passed out! That thing was up inside about a yard! They could have warned me!

They then got to work on the staples. MM was not a happy man (was it wrong of me to stand there thinking that I went thru two natural childbirths plus two serious kidney infections?) and it took quite sometime to get it done. There was a tap at the door and in came a doctor, wrong room. This staple removal probably took a good 40 minutes because he was in so much pain they had to keep stopping. I'd hate to think what would happen if he had not taken two Percocet before the drive!

About halfway thru, in walked the surgeon!! I was happy to see him. He was pleased with his progress and his healing. I asked about lack of appetite and everything else and he said it would take three to four more weeks before it was all back to normal. They suggested protein powder and other things, so I went to the store when we got home and bought what was needed.

The doctor said he would remove the drain while they were doing the staples so he would be distracted. I knew better than to watch this one and thank goodness, because I would have barfed for sure! MM said it was probably 18" deep and about 3/4" across. He does not drop the F-bomb often in public, but it was flying all over that little room! He said that hurt so bad he could hardly stand it.

Driving home, he was amazed at how much better he felt. We both suspect that the pain was being caused by the drain. Some was from the staples, but mostly the drain.

We made it back home and he has not had to take anything for pain and says he is feeling much better.

Thank you all for your concern, kind words, thoughts and prayers. They have all helped me a lot!!!

side note - I told the nurses I was quite dismayed that there was never an offering of a home nurse to visit, nor was there any phone calls made to check and see how we were doing. The main nurse looked up in the records.....he talked to somebody two days after he was home and again the next day!!! He has no recollection of any such thing. He said he might remember them calling, but has no idea what was discussed....aye yi yi!

shirleyknot
March 31st, 2017, 09:55 PM
Pretty stupid of whoever called to not talk to YOU instead of the pain-med-bombed patient. Health professionals seem to be brain dead these days. I hope YOU get a great big restful vacation from all this and soon!

bubba
March 31st, 2017, 09:56 PM
Pretty stupid of whoever called to not talk to YOU instead of the pain-med-bombed patient. Health professionals seem to be brain dead these days. I hope YOU get a great big restful vacation from all this and soon!

That is why we went to Hawaii right before surgery! I think we might need to go back!

kgirlmom
March 31st, 2017, 10:07 PM
Wow. I have no words, except I would have been right there with you on the floor or hugging the throne. You are one strong woman for sure. Positive thoughts and prayers that things continue to get better for ya'll.

Angelia
March 31st, 2017, 10:27 PM
I'm so glad he is feeling better after the drain removal! I'd be calling at any sign of recurring pain--you can't be expected to handle that. My thoughts are with you (I've been haunting the forum to check on you! :) ).

shirleyknot
March 31st, 2017, 10:29 PM
That is why we went to Hawaii right before surgery! I think we might need to go back!

Yes, I think so!

seaturtle
March 31st, 2017, 10:30 PM
I am so relieved that this part is over! Hope you have smoother sailing from here.

JCY
March 31st, 2017, 10:32 PM
Let's hope things begin to improve from here on out. What a day you had.

Kgrammiecaz
March 31st, 2017, 10:35 PM
So happy to hear back from you. What a relief that is all done. Its wonderful he is feeling better, relief for both of you. And yes, a second vacation is surely deserved at this point. Praying for better days up ahead now.

KarenC
March 31st, 2017, 10:46 PM
So sorry you and MM had to go through that. However, thrilled he is now feeling better. Maybe you can both get some rest now.

jjkaiser
March 31st, 2017, 10:48 PM
It would seem that the worst is behind you now. Good work! If I ever need surgery I will send for you. You make a great nurse!!!

bubba
March 31st, 2017, 10:50 PM
It would seem that the worst is behind you now. Good work! If I ever need surgery I will send for you. You make a great nurse!!!

I would thankfully decline!!

laura44
March 31st, 2017, 10:51 PM
What an ordeal for you both, glad he is feeling better. Praying
for a speedy recovery.

Grandma G
March 31st, 2017, 10:56 PM
So glad to hear your news. I don't do well with medical situations and gore either. I can only imagine what you went thru. Hoping that this is the beginning of really healing and less pain. Prayers continue.

Grey Lady
March 31st, 2017, 11:11 PM
I am so glad to hear he is on the need. I also have been a stalker to hear that you and MM are ok. I hope you are able to get some rest.

grammaterry
March 31st, 2017, 11:22 PM
I'm glad he's on his journey back to better health

auntiemern
March 31st, 2017, 11:34 PM
Glad to hear all of the drains and staples are out, and he is feeling better. I was reading with great sympathy for you both until you got to the flying 'F' bombs, at which point I had to laugh uncontrollably for a few minutes. Hugs and prayers continue.

Simply Quilting
March 31st, 2017, 11:35 PM
So happy to hear he is feeling better. Continued prayers for healing.

Judy, USMC
April 1st, 2017, 12:07 AM
Glad he's feeling better. Sometimes those tubes or staples can lay on a nerve and drive someone up a wall.

And this is something I learned when taking care of my mom. The social worker said if I was the caretaker I needed to provide the information about how the patient was doing. That patients had the tendency to say they were "fine" and doing "OK" because if they weren't fine they would have to go back to the hospital. So when I took care of my SIL ... and even now with Steve ... the contact number is mine.

Caroline T.
April 1st, 2017, 12:10 AM
I think he, and you too, have earned the right to drop the F bomb as much as you want at this time.
So glad he's in less pain. Now maybe his appetite will start to improve, and with it his strength will return.
Can't send you to Hawaii, but still want to give you a day out with the girls and a bit of pampering as soon as MM is well enough for you to feel comfortable leaving him for a few hours.
Continued prayers being sent for both of you. .

Ginny B
April 1st, 2017, 12:23 AM
So glad MM is feeling better. I have been thinking about you guys all day and hoping there was going to be some relief. Here's hoping things start improving at a faster rate now. And, yes, I think another trip to Hawaii would be in order. ((((Hugs)))) to you. You are a very strong lady.

Lori63
April 1st, 2017, 12:42 AM
Hopefully the worst is over. Been thinking about you and MM quite a bit lately. Remember you need your rest too!

JaniceR
April 1st, 2017, 01:00 AM
I too have been thinking about the two of you all day and hoping that everything was ok. I am so happy to hear things are much better now!!

I hope MM's pain gets better quickly, that he gets his appetite and strength back soon, and that you both get some rest and feel better!! I can only imagine how difficult this is for both of you! Hopefully things will improve each day now! You have both been in my prayers and will continue to be.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
April 1st, 2017, 01:04 AM
Hoping things improve from here, Bubba.

bubba
April 1st, 2017, 01:06 AM
He actually ate dinner! Tonight he wanted a mild Italian sausage, so I grilled a bunch on the Traeger (leftovers, I don't eat them!). He ate a whole sausage, some peaches, and some rice. Before that, he drank chocolate milk with protein powder mixed in and he liked it! It was chocolate flavor, which I did not know, but he said it was good. When isn't double chocolate anything bad?

stationarymom
April 1st, 2017, 01:06 AM
Pat I'm glad to hear that MM is feeling much better.I can vouch for him about the staples,i also went through natural childbirth and having the staples pulled from my skin was worse.I hope he continues to feel better,remember one day at a time.Take care of yourself.

Sharyn J
April 1st, 2017, 01:13 AM
Glad to hear that MM is feeling better. Continued prayers for both of you.

K. McEuen
April 1st, 2017, 01:52 AM
Oh ouch! I remember getting the drain pulled out of my foot and it burned like a mother and it was a tiny one, I can't imagine one as big as MM had. No wonder it bothered him.

If his scar gets dry or starts itching you can rub Bacitracin ointment on it a couple times a day. It is a topical antibiotic and the plastic surgeon recommended it to reduce scarring.

kaydee
April 1st, 2017, 01:58 AM
Glad to hear all of the drains and staples are out, and he is feeling better. I was reading with great sympathy for you both until you got to the flying 'F' bombs, at which point I had to laugh uncontrollably for a few minutes. Hugs and prayers continue.

Me too! And I bet those nurses have some really funny stories about their experiences in that situation. I imagine they've heard it all.

bubba
April 1st, 2017, 02:08 AM
Oh ouch! I remember getting the drain pulled out of my foot and it burned like a mother and it was a tiny one, I can't imagine one as big as MM had. No wonder it bothered him.

If his scar gets dry or starts itching you can rub Bacitracin ointment on it a couple times a day. It is a topical antibiotic and the plastic surgeon recommended it to reduce scarring.

We have that on hand. It has not bothered him yet, and presently it is completely covered with steristrips. I hope to get him to our daughters tomorrow so he can take a shower. We have only a four footed tub and it's up a flight of stairs which he is not allowed to climb!

Hulamoon
April 1st, 2017, 03:17 AM
A shower will feel so good! I had to go down to a beauty shop to get my hair washed when I broke my wrist. lol So happy to hear things are looking up!

toggpine
April 1st, 2017, 03:19 AM
I glad he's feeling at least a little better.

GaGa
April 1st, 2017, 04:03 AM
So glad to hear MM is feeling better and beginning to eat. I know you are both probably worn out from this! Hopefully some R and R is in your future!

Iris Girl
April 1st, 2017, 05:18 AM
So happy he is feeling better. I know that makes you both feel better. I have a weak stomach to begin with and a very high gag reflex. So I would not have been able to be in the room. Hugs to both of you and now hopefully each day will get better and you can get some well deserved rest also.

Star lover
April 1st, 2017, 06:48 AM
Oh so thankful! Praying for continued healing and strength for you both! Whew, what an ordeal. At least you're on this side of it all.

sew-what2015
April 1st, 2017, 08:24 AM
So glad to hear this! Prayers will continue for both of yoy.

Sandy Navas
April 1st, 2017, 10:26 AM
Travel plans for Nurse Ratchet pulled!

Wish I could send over an Iron Chef!

Hugs to you - give that boy a great shower and the world will spin better!

songbird857
April 1st, 2017, 11:13 AM
Oh Pat, I'm so glad that everything is ok (even though he had to go through that). Praying for healing :)

peggiep
April 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM
Hopefully the worst is over an the healing can begin. Prayers for you both.

Navy Wife
April 1st, 2017, 12:57 PM
So glad to hear things are better for both of you! The shower will make a lot of difference, for both of you! Continuing to pray for a quick recovery now that the worst is over.

bubba
April 1st, 2017, 02:12 PM
Once again, thank you all! He made it thru the night with no pain pills at all!! I asked how it was this morning and he said fine. Asked if he needed any pain pills and he said the had a couple Tylenol there to take if he needed them, but pain was nearly gone.

Star lover
April 1st, 2017, 02:35 PM
Wow, so thankful! Praise the Lord. Continued prayer that his recovery continues to improve. Now, you can get some much needed rest! Such great news.

Monique
April 3rd, 2017, 07:29 AM
Glad all is so much better for him now and you, of course. When I had surgery last year, the removal of the drain hurt like the dickens, let me tell you. I have no idea how long that tube was, but man it hurt, so I know where he is coming from on that front. The staples weren't so bad, a few were in crooked, but overall not bad.

May his healing continue to progress.

KPH
April 3rd, 2017, 08:57 AM
Thrilled that he's feeling better! Take care of yourself!