PDA

View Full Version : I-85 in Atlanta is closed until further notice

seaturtle
March 30th, 2017, 09:22 PM
A massive fire broke out under the interstate in northern Atlanta (it's a bridge at this spot). It became so intense that a portion of the interstate collapsed. There is now a gaping hole where the road used to be. I'm posting it here because it's a major interstate for those traveling south. If you were headed this way, you may want to map out an alternate route through Atlanta. It is closed in both directions.

Caroline T.
March 30th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Hope they closed that portion of the highway before anyone was at risk.
Having family in Atlanta, i've travelled that stretch a time or two and know the loss of that part of the highway is going to be a major traffic nightmare for a long time.

JCY
March 30th, 2017, 09:47 PM
I saw that on the evening news. At broadcast time they didn't yet know the cause of the fire. My son was just in Atlanta on business. Glad he's already safely back home in MD.

seaturtle
March 30th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Hope they closed that portion of the highway before anyone was at risk.
Having family in Atlanta, i've travelled that stretch a time or two and know the loss of that part of the highway is going to be a major traffic nightmare for a long time.

There were no fatalities reported - just lots of snarled traffic. They are still concentrating on containment at this time - the actual investigation of what caused it will probably not get under way until tomorrow. Thunderstorms are starting in the city now. That is a blessing as far as the fire is concerned but will delay the investigations.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 30th, 2017, 10:19 PM
At least you guys are on the I-75 side of the city. But as bad as Atlanta rush hour traffic is, all roads will be snarled by this!

KarenC
March 31st, 2017, 12:23 AM
I have to agree with you Jean. I used to think that Houston traffic was bad, until I had to drive in Atlanta. Now, anytime I have to travel to Atlanta on business, I let someone else do the driving. Glad to see that they were able to shut down the road and avoid any fatalities

TMP
March 31st, 2017, 02:13 AM
I live outside of Birmingham, Al and it seems to go anywhere you have to go thru Atlanta. Do they know what caused this? I think its time our country spend some tax dollars on fixing our roads and bridges. The Atlanta traffic is horrible, when we are going on a trip we plan to not hit Atlanta during rush hour.

Judy, USMC
March 31st, 2017, 02:19 AM
Wow, Cindy! I think that "until further notice" may mean a couple of years. Thanks for the travel info - lucky no travel plans to that part of the country this year.

kaydee
March 31st, 2017, 04:05 AM
I think that "until further notice" may mean a couple of years..

When the I35W bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River in Minneapolis in 2007, they were able to redesign and rebuild both directions in one year. They worked night and day 365 days a year, including all winter. (They enclosed it during the winter.) Quite the sight!

Anyhow, it should be a lot easier to rebuild this since it seems to be over land, not as much of it is affected, and you have way better weather down there!

I'm glad no one was hurt. One of our neighbors was one of the victims of the 35W collapse.

Carlie Wolf
March 31st, 2017, 09:38 AM
Saw a video on line. OMG that looks awful.

Navy Wife
April 1st, 2017, 03:08 PM
Someone Facebook said the traffic would be backed up to Charlotte! A lot of truth in that.

meliswan
April 1st, 2017, 11:19 PM
There have been three people arrested. One charged with arson and all three with criminal trespassing. I will putting on my daisy dukes and taking the General Lee next time I have to head downtown!141585