PDA

View Full Version : Calvary Planted Easter Decoration/Craft

kimsophia
March 30th, 2017, 03:27 AM
I stumbled on this decoration and thought it was cool! http://houseofjoyfulnoise.com/calvary-hill-planting-kids-lent-project/

redcaboose1717
March 30th, 2017, 04:21 AM
Thanks.....this would be a great project for kid's for Sunday School.....I don't teach Sunday School now, but I am going to suggest this to a gal I sometimes sub for.
When my kids were younger we of course didn't have the internet, and we didn't have a PC in the home until 1999. I used to always try to find something for them to do during Lent / Easter.

One of their favorite things to do is when the Spring Equinox is ....That's where Spring begins...and we used to give each of the children an (uncooked ) egg. At the EXACT Time of Spring, the egg will stand straight up on any flat surface and stay there.....

Here's the best explanation of this :
The March equinox or Northward equinox is the equinox on the Earth when the subsolar point appears to leave the southern hemisphere and cross the celestial equator, heading northward as seen from Earth. In the Northern Hemisphere the March equinox is known as the vernal equinox, and in the Southern Hemisphere as the autumnal equinox.

You can also do this in the Fall / Autumn too...at the exact time when Autumn / Fall begins:

Friday, September 22, 2017 at 4:02 pm EDT ( Eastern Standard Time )

So, if you didn't know about this, and want to do this with your kids / grandkids....mark this down on September 22, 2017...and at 4:02 pm you can do it !

My main decoration in the house is my Easter Egg Tree......I started it when the kids were really small, and made an egg for each of them ( out of different materials each year ) and made one for myself. When each of them married, I gave them their eggs, and also some of their favorite Christmas Tree ornaments. (For their shower gifts just prior to marriage, I gave them a gift certificate to get their own artificial tree, along with strings of lights. I gave them door wreaths for Halloween, Christmas , Winter, Valentine's Day etc. with a little note that if they didn't want to use them, to donate them somewhere ( I didn't want my future DIL's(3) or my SIL to feel I was being pushy etc.)
I was really surprised that for the first few years all 4 of the kids and their spouses used the decorations I made. Slowly I see where they are being replaced, and that's fine.....One thing they all make is a Tin Foil Angel that my DH Terry made to put on a window in the house each year....in honor of their dad. ( At the time Terry used to do that, I really didn't think the kids thought of it as a tradition....but they did )

As you guessed, I love all the holidays !

cv quilter
March 30th, 2017, 11:08 AM
You have lots of interesting information that you pass along. I would love to see a picture of your Easter egg tree;)

RockinLou
March 31st, 2017, 02:13 PM
I stumbled on this decoration and thought it was cool! http://houseofjoyfulnoise.com/calvary-hill-planting-kids-lent-project/

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing!