PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated! Can't find my favorite brand of coffee

JCY
March 27th, 2017, 11:52 AM
For years I have been drinking Millstone's French Vanilla Decaf coffee. I bought the ground coffee in the 12 oz. size bag. After the local stores quit carrying it, I ordered it on line from either Amazon or Wal-Mart. Now it's no longer available. I read an article that discountcoffee.com took over the remaining Millstone stock. But they don't have it. The only place advertising it was a Piggly Wiggly store in SC. I just called them; they don't have it. I'm so frustrated. It seems like when one finds a product they really like, it gets bought out or disappears from the market. I suppose I'll have to look for an alternate brand.

Carlie Wolf
March 27th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Is it possible to purchase Millstone's decaf and add vanilla extract to it. Probably won't be the same but just a thought.

KPH
March 27th, 2017, 12:29 PM
You make vanilla sugar by placing a vanilla bean in sugar, so why couldn't you do the same with coffee?

It is frustrating when you find something you really like only to have it disappear from the shelves. Maybe if you write Millstone they'll bring it back!

Carolnnc
March 27th, 2017, 12:31 PM
I hate when that happens! I have tried both of these and liked them both. You can order directly from the web which is a plus.

http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/product/french-vanilla-decaffeinated/ $6.59 for 10 ounces

http://shop.dunkindonuts.com/french-vanilla-ground-coffee-1-lb/detail.php?p=964980 $8.99 for 16 ounces

Snip Snip
March 27th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Sorry for your dilemma! I have had that happen a lot: you find a product you love and use for years, then suddenly it's not available any more. Or they change it so it's not as good or effective. Bah! Progress!

amartin24
March 27th, 2017, 01:46 PM
That's frustrating! I agree with Carolnnc, New England and Dunkin Donuts are both really good.

LindaKay75
March 27th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I see what you mean about finding this coffee. I've checked all my places here and 'out of stock'. What is going on with this particular coffee I don't know but if it's this well liked they should keep it stocked. Go figure. I know it's very frustrating. It doesn't say it's discontinued just out of stock so maybe you'll just wait a while for it. In meantime, I will keep checking for you. Hope you can find your coffee. I switched to Dunkin Donuts decaf (a little expensive) and sometimes I buy New England decaf at Walmart.

SallyO'Sews
March 27th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Isn't it funny that once we like something, nothing else seems as good?
My favorite coffee is called Harmony Bay, but I also like New England coffee. Not sure you can get it out West, however.

Carolyn
March 27th, 2017, 04:58 PM
I know how you feel about your coffee. It is difficult to find another that pleases as well as your favorite. We drive 4-5 hours about every three months to purchase ours from Whole Foods. We call ahead and have a couple of five pound bags reserved for us. I will check for your brand as I shop.

TMP
March 27th, 2017, 05:43 PM
I am hooked on Newman's Own Special Blend Coffee. I will check here also in Alabama and see if I can find any for you JCY.

Same thing happen to me with my hair conditioner about 5 years ago. I even called the company. The had stopped making it and had a newer improved and yep, more expensive line. They told me where I could buy the new stuff. Wasn't anything near the original. I never have found what I think is an equal substitute.

JCY
March 27th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the link to the New England Coffee. I've checked out their web site. I may place an order with them. The Dunkin' Donuts was reg. coffee, not decaf. If I can find a good replacement, I'll be a happy camper.

jjkaiser
March 27th, 2017, 05:52 PM
I live in the midwest, I will check here for you too. (I am a Folgers girl all the way but not decaf. Because you know it is always good to the last drop! )

amartin24
March 27th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I am hooked on Newman's Own Special Blend Coffee. I will check here also in Alabama and see if I can find any for you JCY.

Same thing happen to me with my hair conditioner about 5 years ago. I even called the company. The had stopped making it and had a newer improved and yep, more expensive line. They told me where I could buy the new stuff. Wasn't anything near the original. I never have found what I think is an equal substitute.

Have you been able to find the Newman's ground? I've only found it in K-cups which I don't use. Newmans is one of the few brands that does not chemically process their decaf.

Vonnie
March 27th, 2017, 06:52 PM
This is a nice family owned place that makes gourmet coffee:
http://www.ozarkmountaincoffee.com/flavored_coffees

I'm a tea drinker so I have not tried their coffee but their tea is delicious.

meemeecyn
March 27th, 2017, 07:42 PM
JCY....totally understand your frustration! Have you ever had Green Mountain Coffee (out of Vermont)? They now own Keurig. Haven't had all of their flavors, but it is good coffee. My favorite brand of coffee is decaf Italian Roast by Barista. Do you own a Keurig? We have a distributor not too far from us and they have a huge mail order business of the K Cups, selling many different brands and flavors. The name is Big Cat Coffees out of Franklin, NH. In addition to buying a box of all the same coffee, they also have the option to get what they call A Purrfect Pack, where you decide exactly what brands and flavors you want. I believe the shipping if free if you purchase $75 worth of coffee/tea/hot chocolate. They also sell some ground local coffee. Good luck!

redcaboose1717
March 27th, 2017, 08:15 PM
I looked around online and found a blog ......Take some time to read this. At the bottom there's some suggestions.....

http://www.purelycoffeebeans.com/readers-questions-happened-millstone-coffee/

I did go to Walmart and type in Millstone's French Vanilla Decaf Coffee...and while it says it's in the store......you can't pick it up? So, it sounds "fishy" that they actually have the product.

This same thing happened to me several years ago with a soap I liked. This company called San Francisco Bay Area Soap Company sold a Oatmeal & Almond Loofah soap I loved.....the company was purchased by someone else and they discontinued this soap. They have a massage type Oatmeal bar....but it isn't the same. I wish I had known that the company was being sold.....I would have purchase a bunch of that soap!!!
To this day, I still haven't been able to find a soap I like that is comparable .......( sigh ) .......

redcaboose1717
March 27th, 2017, 08:43 PM
One more suggestion......We have a store here near where I live that is a privately owned grocery store that sells Spartan Products.
This man that owns the store will often order things that the big chain stores do not stock. Perhaps if you have a privately owned grocery store in your area, you could ask them about this coffee....OR what they might be able to order as a replacement.
Years ago, Meijer ( it's a big chain in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, & Kentucky ) quit stocking a water made by Pepsi called Quafina (sp ) and when I asked Meijer about it, they lied to me and said Pepsi stopped making it. So, I asked the private Grocery store owner if this was true and he laughed.....he agreed to order it for me, and I have been purchasing it from him ever since (and I have stopped shopping at Meijer because of this lie I was told )
So, if you do have a private store owner like this...maybe he can help you......or at least try to find something similar for you !

JCY
March 27th, 2017, 10:10 PM
I'm still searching. There is no retailer within 100 mi. of where I live that carries the New England coffee. I browsed New England's web site. Shipping will cost more than the cost of the coffee! I plan to call tomorrow to ask a couple questions before I consider placing an order. Thanks to everyone who is helping with the search.

I don't use a Keurig. I usually drink only 1 c. a day & some days not any. I have one of those cones that sits on top of the cup with a #2 filter. I pour the hot water over the grounds. My DIL brought it from Holland back in 1989. I've been using it all these years.

Midge
March 28th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Have you tried the Torani French Vanilla syrup in coffee? If nothing else will do, you might try a small bottle and see if you can find another decaf coffee that will work with it. I generally don't drink a lot of flavored coffees except for mochas, but I do keep vanilla powder to put in coffee when I want something. Many grocers around here carry the Torani syrups and looking on their site I see they have 4 different vanillas. Just a thought. Good luck! I hate it when my coffee is messed with.

stationarymom
March 28th, 2017, 01:08 AM
I feel for you,I used to wear Estee by Estee Lauder perfume.I think I wore it for about 25years, and they stopped making it that made me so upset.

Midge
March 28th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I feel for you,I used to wear Estee by Estee Lauder perfume.I think I wore it for about 25years, and they stopped making it that made me so upset.

Yes! I know just what you mean. I wore Gucci #3 for 20 years until it was discontinued because one of the natural ingredients in the formula was no longer available and they could not find a substitute. I liked Estee too, and didn't know it was also gone. Can't find a substitute I like.

JCY
March 28th, 2017, 06:46 PM
I did more web browsing. I located French vanilla decaf at the Roasterie in Kansas City. I enjoyed reading their blog all about coffee, where it's grown, etc. Called them this afternoon & placed an order for 1- 12 oz. bag of ground coffee. I'll let you know how I like it. They have a subscription option where you save 10% + get free shipping.

sydneybean
March 28th, 2017, 11:05 PM
San Fransisco Bay coffee has a French Vanilla Decaf https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/decaf-french-vanilla-coffee.html

I don't know what stores carry it. I buy their 'cups' at Costco. All biodegradable. Good luck.

jjkaiser
March 28th, 2017, 11:34 PM
I'm still searching. There is no retailer within 100 mi. of where I live that carries the New England coffee. I browsed New England's web site. Shipping will cost more than the cost of the coffee! I plan to call tomorrow to ask a couple questions before I consider placing an order. Thanks to everyone who is helping with the search.

I don't use a Keurig. I usually drink only 1 c. a day & some days not any. I have one of those cones that sits on top of the cup with a #2 filter. I pour the hot water over the grounds. My DIL brought it from Holland back in 1989. I've been using it all these years.

Man you are a coffee lightweight!! I make two 8 cup pots every day and drink it ALL myself. My dh doesnt even like coffee. I would never manage on one cup per day!

JCY
March 29th, 2017, 12:36 AM
Yes, I limit my coffee consumption. I have problems with reflux. Coffee is bad for reflux, so I have to limit how much I drink. When my reflux was worse, I gave it up altogether for a while. I like to doctor up my coffee with some milk, a dollop of vanilla ice cream, Stevia sweetening, & some extra vanilla extract.

grammaterry
March 29th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I'm a two cup a day girl! Never decaf, never flavoring. However, I will check my restaurant supply store