PDA

View Full Version : .....uphill climb?

bubba
March 25th, 2017, 01:54 AM
I had to go to the store today to get a few things and took to opportunity to pop into the Goodwill to see if I might locate a walker. Got one of the fancy ones w/wheels and handbrakes and a seat for $20!! It was the same price as the plain metal ones.

Well, I typed too soon, darn it!! He just said he is going to bed, he is in great pain and dizzy and does not feel good....drat!

Maybe it will happen tomorrow.

stationarymom
March 25th, 2017, 02:25 AM
I hope he feels better once he lays down.I hope you have a quiet night .

bubba
March 25th, 2017, 02:35 AM
He has been lying down about half an hour. Thought he was sound asleep and I'm out in the TV room watching 20/20 when all of a sudden I hear 'ding-ding'! Scared the living crap out of me! It was MM and his bellhop bell....wanted a quilt! How can I say no to that?

I took out the one he asked for and said he could now have a nice, cozy night! ♥

Star lover
March 25th, 2017, 06:41 AM
He has been lying down about half an hour. Thought he was sound asleep and I'm out in the TV room watching 20/20 when all of a sudden I hear 'ding-ding'! Scared the living crap out of me! It was MM and his bellhop bell....wanted a quilt! How can I say no to that?

I took out the one he asked for and said he could now have a nice, cozy night! ♥

Ahhh, so sweet, he wanted one of your quilts. Hope y'all had a good nights sleep and when he awakens, he feels much better. Still praying for y'all.

Monique
March 25th, 2017, 07:44 AM
One day at a time. At least he wanted a quilt.

Sandy Navas
March 25th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Can you sandwich that bellhop bell with some batting . . .

Please give MM a giant hug from me, okay?

LauraP
March 25th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Having just been through abdomen surgery I can tell you, he will always hurt more at night, it will take about six weeks to get his full energy back and it is super important to take pain pills on time even if you aren't hurting because if you wait until you're hurting the pills won't work as well.
Tuesday is my six week check-up with the surgeon and luckily I'm not having anymore problems. I am using Vit E oil on my scar and it isn't itching as much.

bubba
March 25th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Can you sandwich that bellhop bell with some batting . . .

Please give MM a giant hug from me, okay?

No hugging allowed right now!! He's had that bell available since his first surgery last July, and this was only the second time he has dinged it. As long as it's not misused, he gets to keep it.

Having just been through abdomen surgery I can tell you, he will always hurt more at night, it will take about six weeks to get his full energy back and it is super important to take pain pills on time even if you aren't hurting because if you wait until you're hurting the pills won't work as well.
Tuesday is my six week check-up with the surgeon and luckily I'm not having anymore problems. I am using Vit E oil on my scar and it isn't itching as much.

That's good to know! I offered him Vitamin E, but he does not want to use it until the staples are out which is next Friday.

jjkaiser
March 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Next purchase needs to be a teddy bear he can take to bed with him. But not one of those talking ones!

Mary Lynn
March 25th, 2017, 07:07 PM
With staples still in, he is bound to have pain. Maybe tomorrow he will try the walker. You got a great buy & will be ready when he is.

auntiemern
March 25th, 2017, 07:08 PM
One day at a time.

Judy, USMC
March 25th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I offered him Vitamin E, but he does not want to use it until the staples are out which is next Friday.

MM is right! Don't use Vit E until the skin has healed ... I even avoided the holes where the staples were until those little scabs came off.

I've used Vit E after each of my abdominal surgeries and Steve used it after his cardiac bypass surgery. I followed the advice of my doctor. Don't get the E that is derived from soybeans or corn because it could contain more of those oils than the actual vitamin. There are small gelcaps in the vitamin aisle at the drug store that are easy to use. Just pierce the gelcap with a needle and squeeze the oil out. Less mess, easier to control where it goes, less risk for contamination and you can keep the remainder on hand if you need it later.

Pick the one that has the highest concentration of tocopherol (that's the pharmaceutical name of Vit E.) Hope that helps!

CraftySweetPeas
March 27th, 2017, 12:41 AM
Just pierce the gelcap with a needle and squeeze the oil out. Less mess, easier to control where it goes, less risk for contamination and you can keep the remainder on hand if you need it later.

Pick the one that has the highest concentration of tocopherol (that's the pharmaceutical name of Vit E.)

We used to do this for pimples so they wouldn't scar.

I had surgery to remove part of one of my kidneys and I was reminded (I think you mentioned it last week, Pat) that the rides in the car were awful for the first few months. EVERY little bump felt like a HUGE pothole. My poor DH tried and tried to avoid any imperfection in the pavement, knowing it would cause "distress". We both learned to watch the road (and pick up queues from the car ahead!) more and it helped quite a lot.
I hope he's feeling better soon, and remember to take little breaks for you, too.

bubba
March 27th, 2017, 12:58 AM
He is looking much better from the shoulders up. His color is back, but the pain really is not subsiding much. We were supposed to go to the doctor this past Friday to get stints removed and I could not even get him to the car, let alone make a 40 mile drive on the freeway with him.

We have another appointment this Friday for staple removal (and the stints), so hopefully that will take care of a lot of the pain.

Star lover
March 27th, 2017, 07:24 AM
So sorry for your DH pain. Staples are bad. I've had a couple surgeries where they were used and didn't get an ounce of relief until they were removed. Didn't get rid of it, but better afterwards. I'll continue in prayer for you both. It's been a rough road and you still have a ways to go. We're here when you need to vent. Hope today is better for you both.

SallyO'Sews
March 27th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Yup-yup, what Star Lover said! Quilty hugs and prayers for you both, dear one.

bubba
March 27th, 2017, 05:04 PM
I just made him a vanilla milkshake with no lactaid pill....this should get things moving!

EnumclawGramma
March 27th, 2017, 06:05 PM
What hospital did you go to? We were at Tacoma General on Friday, if you'd made it we may have run into you. Not a happy coincidence, but there it is.

By "go" do you mean what I think you mean? I've got an herbal tea that's a Godsend (sorry, but it is!) for that.

Vonnie
March 27th, 2017, 06:59 PM
What hospital did you go to? We were at Tacoma General on Friday, if you'd made it we may have run into you. Not a happy coincidence, but there it is.

By "go" do you mean what I think you mean? I've got an herbal tea that's a Godsend (sorry, but it is!) for that.

Do you mean "Smooth Move"? I have used it many times. It can be found at most stores including Walmart. It takes a few hours but does the job.

Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

bubba
March 27th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Yes, that is what I mean! He just rolled past me with his walker faster than usual, so perhaps it's done the trick! We have been doubling up on stool softeners and that is doing nothing!

Hope all is well after your hospital visit. We go up to Overlake in Bellevue. I wish we could zip down to Group Health next to TG....it's only three miles from our house!

EnumclawGramma
March 28th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Yes, that is what I mean! He just rolled past me with his walker faster than usual, so perhaps it's done the trick! We have been doubling up on stool softeners and that is doing nothing!

Hope all is well after your hospital visit. We go up to Overlake in Bellevue. I wish we could zip down to Group Health next to TG....it's only three miles from our house!

Tacoma General was for my BIL, I needed to be with my Sis for the day while he had the catheter in the leg artery test done, in both legs. Surgery is next I'm afraid. Waiting to hear more from her on this.

Smooth Move, yes. That the tea! And it's a sure fire option.

I hope things are getting better for you and MM. I've been thinking about you. ***HUGS***

bubba
March 28th, 2017, 09:34 PM
I hope things are getting better for you and MM. I've been thinking about you. ***HUGS***

He started off his day on the wrong foot and he will continue to spend it by himself until he apologizes to me for his behavior.

Star lover
March 29th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Yeah they're gonna be grumpy for a loooong time. At least my hub was after surgery. He would be great (or I thought so) then he would lash out. Life changed (not your situation) big time for my dh and if he thought too much about it, there he'd go .... it's been 3 years now and he's adjusted to his new way of life, but some days .... think I'd have to slap him silly! Just roll with it. I just walk away, let him deal with it, then come back. I used to try to help him deal wit it all, not anymore. As I've said many times, I'm praying and will continue to do so. This journey has a ways to go and you need time and strength for it. Hugs!