PDA

View Full Version : A lucky find!

RockinLou
March 24th, 2017, 03:07 PM
As many of you know I teach at an international school. We first came four years ago with another family we were close friends with. This past August they were transferred to a different school in our network (there are 37 schools on 4 continents).

This past week was Spring Break and we were in Georgia (the country) and heard they might be passing through. Our airfare was a bargain,and must have been for everyone else because there were 6 couples from our school that were in Georgia this week. What happened is this... One Busy Body Bossy Pants sent an email to all the families saying "the plan is to meet a location X on Wednesday at 7:30 pm. Hope to see you all there for an Almaty West get together" with ZERO mention of any names of who was invited, so I functioned under the assumption that it was only the people who received the email. We had limited access there so our friends who moved this year were in the same boat, and communication never lined up.

My husband and I decided not to invest any of our family vacation time on a dinner with Busy Body Bossy Pants and we didn't go.

On Thursday morning we were at a restaurant eating an early lunch with the kids and had wifi access. I found out through a Facebook post that our good friends and another couple we worked with for years had been at the dinner we didn't go to. I was so upset that I cried because it is so typical of Busy Body to leave out that detail (we are the only family with young kids and she doesn't like to have our kids around, not that she would know how good they are because they aren't babies anymore and can entertain themselves with coloring books, reading and uno all night long at a restaurant).

THEN guess who walked past the window of the restaurant we were sitting in?? Our good friends! My husband jumped up from the table and ran outside, I honestly thought he'd been sick, but couldn't abandon all our belongings at the table... He came back in with our friends and I cried like a baby! I was so happy to see them!

It was our last day in town, we had zero plans and so we ended up going to the restaurant they had wanted to go to for lunch, our kids were super excited to see their (slightly older) kids again, and we spent hours together, just the nine of us, it was So Much Better than the dinner with Busy Body would have been, what a lucky chance ;)

It is a really, really small world when two American families living in two different countries on two different continents happen to run into each other in a third country one day... I'm so glad I chose that table, that my husband looked up at that moment, and that God brought us together at that very moment.

Star lover
March 24th, 2017, 03:23 PM
The Lord always knows! So happy you got to spend such a junk of time with your good friends. .... you're right, such a small world and still the Lord arranged the whole thing!

Simply Quilting
March 24th, 2017, 03:27 PM
What a neat story. I am glad that you were able to see your friends and spend the day with them.

Bubby
March 24th, 2017, 04:13 PM
What a wonderful story. I'm so happy your paths crossed....much more than a coincidence!

Hulamoon
March 24th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I love stories like that! I'm glad you guys found each other.

One time my dh and a friend and I went over to another island to see a Sting concert. My good friend just moved over there, but I just couldn't a hold of her. We go to the concert and she was sitting two rows down from us in a 50,000 seat stadium!

Snip Snip
March 24th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Just think, RockinLou, if your DH had chosen that time to go to the restroom, or had been looking at the menu. Lost opportunity! I sometimes wonder how often something like that happens and we don't make that connection.
I'm so glad you and your family were able to enjoy your friends!

Judy, USMC
March 24th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Looks like it couldn't have gone better if you planned it! Glad you had a happy reunion.

Monique
March 24th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Sometimes it is so hard to believe just how small the world really is.

bubba
March 24th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Isn't that a strange thing to experience? When we lived on Okinawa, I went on base one day to swim and one of the Marines, who I did not know, knew me! He was a friends of MM's from high school! Another time we were in Hawaii walking down the main street in Waikiki when MM took off running and screaming. I thought he was possessed! Turns out, he had seen a good friend of ours walking, headed to the post office, and that's what all the excitement was about! He had moved there and we didn't know it, but we look him up every time we go. He just called the other day to see how MM was doing.

Glad you got to spend time with your friends w/out BBBB!!

KarenC
March 24th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Happy endings!

grammaterry
March 24th, 2017, 11:45 PM
I'm so glad everything worked out

Anna Leigh
March 25th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Providence. Such a good story.